What's more important in a presidential candidate?

nimh

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 01:18 pm
Rasmussen asked the question in a survey, and I wanted to poll it here. I'll use their wording:

Which is more important - understanding the character of a Presidential candidate or the specific policy proposals of a candidate?

(Rasmussen's results are here, in case you want to compare your answer with that of Americans at large.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 456 • Replies: 7
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 02:30 pm
I don't believe that people actually vote the way they think they do. My perception is that most people decide a candidate in their guts and rationalize their votes by selectively looking at the policies later or citing some criticism that has little to do with policy.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 02:32 pm
Character---because you need to know the possibility that they will try said proposals and have some idea of what they will do in a novel situation.

We've all heard policy proposals from everyone who ever stood for election. They all sound so lovely....

But, ultimately, character seems to be the toll to get to a national election.

Circle jerk..
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 02:34 pm
policy.... no politician has character....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 02:39 pm
I vote by the cut of his/her jib. i also check to see that the socks match.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 02:39 pm
An example of character: I am leaning toward Barack because I am really concerned about McCain's temper/maverickism in the Oval office.

Of course, McCain is the devil I know...which is why a lot of people are wary of Barack. Eh!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 02:44 pm
It's very hard for me to separate them, but I picked character because for me it trumps. Not that I know how to play bridge.

If it comes to Clinton-McCain, I'll be in quite a quandary. And then, I suppose Policy will trump.
But re Omama-Clinton, I'm going by Character for Obama, although I'm also more comfortable with at least one major policy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 03:01 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
policy.... no politician has character....

Word . . .
0 Replies