Need Help With Some English Expressions in "Sex and city"

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 10:10 am
Hi, guys, I have been watching "Sex and City", and I find some expressions hard to understand, can anyone tell me what they mean?
Thank you so much!
1. (Tray was playing golf) Here's one of Trey pretending to get a hole in one. He loved that gag.
2. After many days of golf, Charlotte's handicap had gone down twelve

3. You think I'm yanking your chain, but I'm not.

4. --What do you do?
- I'm a lawyer.
- I thought I had it bad.
- No.
- No, it's great. You look like a lawyer.

5. the junior development executive.
6. Last year, he pitched me nothing but **** 24-7.
7. If other girls have their hearts broken, that means big opening weekend. Not X-Men big, but chick flick big.
8. He's a producer as well, and he took to the material.
9. What if we flush out the central relationship?(talking about translating a column to the silver screen)
10. Let's get down to the underbelly of these two characters.
11. In New York, sex is bottom shelf, paper bag.
12. I am totally digging this scene.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 652 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 10:29 am
Re: Need Help With Some English Expressions in "Sex and
google808 wrote:
Hi, guys, I have been watching "Sex and City", and I find some expressions hard to understand, can anyone tell me what they mean?
Thank you so much!
1. (Tray was playing golf) Here's one of Trey pretending to get a hole in one. He loved that gag.
2. After many days of golf, Charlotte's handicap had gone down twelve

3. You think I'm yanking your chain, but I'm not.

4. --What do you do?
- I'm a lawyer.
- I thought I had it bad.
- No.
- No, it's great. You look like a lawyer.

5. the junior development executive.
6. Last year, he pitched me nothing but **** 24-7.
7. If other girls have their hearts broken, that means big opening weekend. Not X-Men big, but chick flick big.
8. He's a producer as well, and he took to the material.
9. What if we flush out the central relationship?(talking about translating a column to the silver screen)
10. Let's get down to the underbelly of these two characters.
11. In New York, sex is bottom shelf, paper bag.
12. I am totally digging this scene.

1. What don't you get? Hole in one? Gag?

2. Handicaps are supposed to go UP as you practice...that is, you get better, so that when you play less skilled golfers, the game is fairer. Charlotte's golf got WORSE....it's a joke.

3. You think I am trying to make me believe something that is not true, so that you look a little silly, but I am telling you the truth.

4. Lawyers are often seen as being rather amoral and lots of jokes are made about how bad they are.

6. Last year all his ideas were very poor quality, all the time. His work is consistently bad.

8. He produces films as well as (something else which is not named), so his liking the material is significant.

9. That's "flesh out"...that is, make the character more real and comples.

10. Let's explore all the things about these characters that are not seen as desirable...that is explore their weaknesses and bad sides.

12. I am really enjoying myself here.
0 Replies

google808

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 10:39 am
Thank you so much
dlowan, thank you so much for your reply. I am new here, I wanted to highlight some of the expressions in those sentences, but I don't know how do to that. So I left the whole sentences there without any emphsis. Yeah, you are right, as for the first sentence, I don't understand "get a hole in one" and "gag".
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 10:47 am
Re: Thank you so much
google808 wrote:
dlowan, thank you so much for your reply. I am new here, I wanted to highlight some of the expressions in those sentences, but I don't know how do to that. So I left the whole sentences there without any emphsis. Yeah, you are right, as for the first sentence, I don't understand "get a hole in one" and "gag".

A "hole in one" is a golfing term, which means that a player only hits the ball once, and it goes into the hole.....it is an extremely rare and special thing to achieve.

A photo is being displayed of Trey pretending he did this, when he didn't.

A "gag" is a joke.......Trey is not seriously pretending he did a hole in one....he pretended to for laughs.
0 Replies