If this photo is real, what does that say about Media?

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 12:55 pm
Perhaps there needs to be a new category for this kind of topic. What should it be called, I wonder....
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 01:04 pm
Pseudo Science?

Conspiracy Theorys?

Interesting comment Butrfly
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 03:22 pm
How about:

The Lunatic Fringe

(referring, of course, to the idea of being under undue influence of the moon)
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 03:23 pm
Just for reference, the two previous threads about this topic are:

-- What IF the "war" is really a trick--a RUSE?

-- What do I Notice?>

I'm not sure if any words we could possibly say would be agreeable or well received, so I move on.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 03:27 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
How about:

The Lunatic Fringe

(referring, of course, to the idea of being under undue influence of the moon)

ok that makes me laugh!!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 03:30 pm
CodeBorg wrote:
Just for reference, the two previous threads about this topic are:

-- What IF the "war" is really a trick--a RUSE?

I'm not sure if any words we could possibly say would be agreeable or well received, so I move on.

maybe chaiyah had a senior moment............

If I was to rough, it's get edited?
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 04:38 pm
There's a satelitte that "rises" about an hour before the sun that's pretty bright, if the camera caught it just right it could look like that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 05:02 pm
LOL! I look at the sky all the time, Chaiyah - not scared at all - when I was a very weelowan indeed, I even used to look somewhat eagerly for UFOs and such.

Never saw any - the sky stubbornly refuses to do anything odd for me at all!

Thanks Monger and Craven - interesting info.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 05:27 pm
It is worth noting that one does not need to go to the trouble of consulting scientific sources to deal with conspiracy paranoia.

chaiya wrote:
As you can see, this body is somewhat larger than the moon.

No, i cannot see that. I can see that it appears to be an object, and that it appears to be larger than the moon. Were such an object present, and it were larger than the moon, it would be sufficiently large to be visible at all times, in daylight. If it were in the plane of the ecliptic (as it would have to be to "rise" and "set"), it would be visible to someone, somewhere on the planet at all times.

If such putative object were in fact smaller than the moon, but appeared to be larger because of its near proximity to the planet, and were in the plane of the ecliptic, it would passing closer than 230,000 miles to the earth's surface. It would not then need to be very large at all to have a catastrophic effect on tides. The gravitational effect of the moon, at a distance of 230,000 miles is enormous, and its mass is less than 1/1000th that of the earth.

Finally, to contend that a sighting of enormous significance were made, but the news of it were being suppressed by the astronomical community is suggestive of arcane conspiracies of such a preposterous nature as to call into question the sanity and judgment of anyone making the claim.

It isn't necessary to investigate rheindeer propulsion systems to debunk Santa Claus.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 05:31 pm
Unless, of course, this were suggested to be an alien space craft . . . in which case, i'm afraid i'd be laughin' to hard to continue typi
0 Replies

SkisOnFire

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:49 pm
What I don't understand is that all the facts found in the other thread show that a sliver of the moon should be seen right in the same place and time as where the white blob is seen.

So where is it? If the blob is not the moon, then where is the moon itself? Did it just *disappear* from the sky? Should we alert the media that the moon is gone? They would never notice something that small themselves!

The disappearance of the moon might be just as important (!) as a fuzzy moon-colored blob that appears in one (and only one) low-quality webcam throughout the world.

Obviously, somebody forgot their medication.
If they start twitching it's only because they're developing a luna tic.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:54 pm
A "luna-tic" heh? LOL Thought I was gonna go through the whole day without a laugh. Thanks for the med.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 10:32 pm
cjhsa wrote:
What, no one else here has ever been to planet X? Great nightclubs!

That's what I heard ;-)
0 Replies

Tabernacle

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 10:16 am
Well I would believe the people from the observatory, if no one saw it with their own eyes... doesn't that seem logical?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 12:20 pm
Monger, in this thread, and Rosborne in the other, I can't believe you went through so much effort to look things up, create explanatory images, and explain it all! Thats amazing! I learnt some, and all. It must be frustrating to put all that effort in, and have it all just rejected out of hand ...

<shakes head>
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 01:25 pm
Grrrr! So is. But hey it's fun too. Smile
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 01:31 pm
Monger wrote:
Grrrr! So is. But hey it's fun too. Smile

Why do we do it, though? I mean, I actually went into the other thread and tried to explain "overexposed" - why?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 01:35 pm
For some weird reason I like researching this kinda thing. Smile Youse should check out this one here.. from Chaiyah: What do I Notice?
Ise just posted a hugh long post on the end of it but frankly I don't think it'll do a lick of good. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 01:39 pm
Look at Chalyahs avatar. There is a strange, glowing object over her head!
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 01:52 pm
Ah, the thrill of research and the satisfaction of well-pointed debate! Smile

I was really looking forward to watching the sun shrink some more,
but now all my illusions are gone.

What can we lookup next?
Anyone know the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
0 Replies