What makes one more patriotic?

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 08:25 am
If you had to make a judgment based on only one factor, which two of these would you consider more likely to be patriotic?

1) Someone who wears a flag lapel pin
2) Someone who served honorably in the US Military
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,405 • Replies: 24
No top replies

saab

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 09:36 am
No 2.
I have never thought about the US Military as patriotic or not. More as a brave unit, which saved Europe at WWI, WWII and was stationed here during the cold war - close to 50 years.
Thank you.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 10:04 am
What of both or neither?

Is John McCain more patriotic then Barack Obama then?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 02:05 pm
This survey question presupposes that both choices reflect some degree of patriotism. False. Neither may reflect any degree of patriotism. One may wear a flag lapel pin or was in the military for any number of reasons. None of which might be for patriotism.

Don't forget that in the 1950's black and white tv serial, Superman, the opening of the show showed Superman standing arms akimbo with an announcers voice telling the viewing audience that Superman was for, "truth, justice, and the American way." No lapel pin; no military service. Yet, quite patriotic. Just ask Jimmy Olsen. Better yet, ask Clark Kent.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 02:31 pm
Clar would have been too mild mannered to answer such a question.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:20 pm
Foofie wrote:
This survey question presupposes that both choices reflect some degree of patriotism. .

WTF????????????????????????????

I don't know about a flag pin, but you are saying that serving honorably in the US Military doesn't suggest some degree of patriotism. Are you f***ing kidding me?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 07:28 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Foofie wrote:
This survey question presupposes that both choices reflect some degree of patriotism. .

I don't know about a flag pin, but you are saying that serving honorably in the US Military doesn't suggest some degree of patriotism. Are you f***ing kidding me?

So then by your own admission, your own standards, McCain IS more patriotic then Obama.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 07:30 am
Drinkin' Busch Light, drivin a Camara' with Nascar stickers on it, and stompin queers!

I kid I kid.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 08:55 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Drinkin' Busch Light, drivin a Camara' with Nascar stickers on it, and stompin queers!

What are things a redneck would do.

Odd quotes for $400 Alex.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 08:58 am
"What makes one more patriotic?"

Stupidity.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 09:11 am
As Dr. Johnson pointed out, it's the last refuge of a scoundrel.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 09:21 am
bunny's getting close

There is something grossly offensive about wearing a national flag as a badge of loyalty. How do Americans react to other peoples' flag waving? The Canadians for example. When my Canadian friends came over, they had maple leaf flags all over their luggage, just so show they were not American. I wasnt too impressed with that either.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 09:23 am
There is now an urban legend which is taken as gospel by Canadians to the effect that when Americans travel in Europe, they paste maple leaf emblems on their luggage, so people won't know they're Americans, and because everyone knows that everyone likes Canadians.

S'truth . . . honest to Dog . . .
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 10:24 am
I can believe it.

I've been trying to collect my thoughts about patriotism/nationalism...but come to no conclusion. I'm English, but first I'm a Citizen of the World.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 11:51 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
I can believe it.

I've been trying to collect my thoughts about patriotism/nationalism...but come to no conclusion. I'm English, but first I'm a Citizen of the World.

Well, la de da! There was a time a when many a British citizen was quite pompous about Brittania ruling the waves, and the sun never setting on the British Empire. What happened? Low iron?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 11:57 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
bunny's getting close

There is something grossly offensive about wearing a national flag as a badge of loyalty. How do Americans react to other peoples' flag waving? The Canadians for example. When my Canadian friends came over, they had maple leaf flags all over their luggage, just so show they were not American. I wasnt too impressed with that either.

No. There's nothing offensive with wearing a national flag emblem. It might offend those that think that by wearing a national flag emblem that person "thinks" his country's better than another country. This is the same atavistic reaction to some ethnic groups - "they think they are better/smarter than other people." Get over it. Some people have pride, and it shouldn't offend anyone that has a good level of self-esteem. Or, are we discussing "reaction formation," where one projects traits onto others that one doesn't want to admit that oneself has?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 12:01 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Foofie wrote:

During the days of the draft, there were males that joined a branch of the military to stay out of the Army. And today there are people of all genders (don't ask; don't tell) that join a branch of the military to have more vocational direction than one gets at the local fast food restaurant, or discount chain store.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 12:10 pm
To me, it's having your corpse wrapped in a flag after having died in combat. My dad, a WWII and Korea combat veteran told me that during Viet Nam. I don't think its changed much since then.

A true patriot is one that has died for his country.

Rap
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 12:12 pm
what makes someone NOT patriotic?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 12:13 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
I can believe it.

No, your a citizen of whatever country your passport is from.
0 Replies