Rev Wright Kicking Ass Again

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 07:36 am
At the National Press Club

"Unpatriotic?"

I served six years in the military (Marines) how many years did Cheney serve?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,392 • Replies: 42
No top replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 07:46 am
That's a strawman because you don't have to be patriotic to serve in the military nor remain patriotic after you get out of the military if you were.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 07:53 am
A straw man joke. LOL

It would only be a straw man if Wright tried to make an argument that you imply. That people who served in the miltary are patriotic and people who didn't are not. Still, Cheney was a Marine. Cheney was a draft dodger.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 08:04 am
Eventhough they are both asses neither can claim to be more patriotic than the other.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 08:21 am
Re: Rev Wright Kicking Ass Again
Roxxxanne wrote:

"Unpatriotic?"

I served 24 years, does that make me more patriotic then Rev. Wright?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 08:32 am
mysteryman wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

"Unpatriotic?"

I served 24 years, does that make me more patriotic then Rev. Wright?

No, it would make you a lifer. Smile

More patriotic? Only if you buy the straw man argument that X initially implied.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 08:55 am
I can only hope the "Good" reverand keeps up his rant. It's one more broken rail in Obama's attempted trip to the White House.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 09:27 am
I'm sorry, but what is the point of this statement if not to show that he's more patriotic than Cheney because he served in the military?

You didn't source your material so I cannot verify, but isn't the whole argument (at least how I'm reading it here). I don't know if this is Wright's nonsense, or yours.

1. Serving in the military is proof of patriotism.
2. Rev Wright served in the military.
3. Cheney did not serve in the military.
4. Therefore Rev Wright is patriotic and Cheney is not.

This argument is of course invalid.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 12:50 pm
au1929 wrote:
I can only hope the "Good" reverand keeps up his rant. It's one more broken rail in Obama's attempted trip to the White House.

I'm not sure where all the "keeps up with his rant" talk comes from.
He has a youtube greatest hits that's a few minutes long, at most. Do you have any other sources or links that indicate that Wright has and is continuing to "rant"?

The only ones "keeping up the rant" are the GOP and the Clinton campaign.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 12:52 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:

"Unpatriotic?"

He was patriotic then.

Is he patriotic now?

Would he serve in the US military today?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 09:14 am
candidone1 wrote:
au1929 wrote:

I'm not sure where all the "keeps up with his rant" talk comes from.
He has a youtube greatest hits that's a few minutes long, at most. Do you have any other sources or links that indicate that Wright has and is continuing to "rant"?

The only ones "keeping up the rant" are the GOP and the Clinton campaign.

Wake up and smell the roses. The good reverand is doing a great job for Clinton and McCain. With friends like him who needs enemies.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 09:41 am
Please.

I am simply asking that someone provide me with something other than the tired old greatest hits video on youtube.

If Wright "continues to rant" or continues to be a problem for Obama, then simply link me to some recent interview, some recent sermon, or some other recent evidence that Wright, and not the GOP, not the Clinton campaign, and not the MSM, is continuing on his "rant".

What is it that he is doing or continues to do that "helps Cinton and McCain"....beyond a tired, old and dated youtube greatest hits montage and incessant MSM punditry on the matter.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 09:58 am
candidone1
Today's NY Daily news has several articles relative to the Reverends latest rants {speeches} read them and weep Laughing They are on the web.

Comment: Keep them coming Rev old boy.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 10:42 am
Well, it does look like Wright has become a bit of and attention whore.
I still fail to see, in real world terms how this should be affecting Obama.

Prescott Bush (HW Bush's Father and Dubya's grandfather) had his accounts frozen by the US government because of ties to the Nazi regime in Germany both before and after the "Trading with the Enemy Act" was implemented. This was an immediate family member of the Bush family.
His company was also investigated for a plot to violently overthrow FDR.
I didn't see too much fuss made over this historical fact during any of the Bush campaigns.

It's simply was not relevent....just like we're also told that Cheney's former connections to Haliburton are irrelevent when said company is awarded billions in no bid contracts in Iraq.
Apparently "irrelevent" is subject to who has the will and the power to make it so.

Wright is not relevent, but there are significant power players in the GOP, the MSM, and the Clinton campaign who insist that this is relevent.

It was asked elsewhere that if Obama shares Wright's political philosophy, then what does it mean if Obama is elected?

It was also asked elsewhere when and where in the Obama campaign, through speeches, candidate sponsored websites and debates has the "Wright political philosophy" been espoused by Senator Obama?

People are making an issue out of Wright because they can't take issue with Obama, his platform, his politics or his personality. They have to make his pastor out to be his downfall. This certainly is a travesty of American politics.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 11:22 am
Candidone!
Let me remind you that one can choose their friends and associates but relatives are an accident of birth. If you choose to lie down with dogs you may get up with flees. Obama's resume is paper thin and gives very little insight into what he believes and or what he may do as president. Therefore what else can one use to judge other than his friends and associates
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 11:32 am
au1929 wrote:
Candidone!
Let me remind you that one can choose their friends and associates but relatives are an accident of birth. If you choose to lie down with dogs you may get up with flees. Obama's resume is paper thin and gives very little insight into what he believes and or what he may do as president. Therefore what else can one use to judge other than his friends and associates

Perhaps you could bother to listen to the things he says?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 11:41 am
Cycloptichorn

Talk is cheap!!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 11:44 am
Candidone!
Read this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/29/opinion/29herbert.html?th&emc=th
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 11:52 am
You missed the point by a mile.

Those who favor the Wright fervor say that because Obama was a member of the Trinity for 20 years, with Wright at the helm, how could he not have absorbed some of Wright's political philosophy.
I was simply making a smiliar claim about the Bush family. How could you be raised in a family who, many years ago, lived in Whites Only neighborhoods, contravened Trading with the Enemy legislation, did business with Nazi's etc., was investigated for a terror plot against FDR, and not also absorbed some of the publicly demonstrated values of those family members.

No one made those an issue because they were not an issue.
HW Bush was not publicly a racist, did not publicly contravene trading legislation, and was not the subject of an investigation looking into a coup to overthrow FDR.....none of these things were or could be applied to GW Bush.

Similarly, Wright is not Obama. Wright's political philosophy is not Obama's.

If Obama has such a paper thin resume.....but you think it is appropriate to ignore his actual resume and fill in some of the blanks for him rather than listen to his politics, his past efforts in the community, his platform, his debating points, his own actions within the church, his 2 books, his record as a Senator etc...

You, along with the others of this ilk, have doen nothing to address the real issue of the Wright issue, and that is what has Obama said or done that gives empirical evidence of a political or philosophical alignment between himself and Wright.

What has Obama said or done that makes Wright's political philosophy Obama's political philosophy, and vice versa?

Until Obama actually says or does something that draws an equivalence between himeslf and Wright, you guys are but vile propagandists.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 11:58 am
au1929 wrote:
Cycloptichorn

Talk is cheap!!

Bullshit talks action walks.
Show me something in Obama's life or something that he has done in his life that coheres with the political philosophy of Wright.

If Obama can be painted with the same brush as we paint Wright, then his paper thin resume should have some evidence of angry-black-man-ness, or anti-Americanism, or whatever Wright is being charged with being that has so obviously rubbed off onto Obama.
0 Replies