2
   

Making mommy prettier: A plastic surgery prep for kids

 
 
fishin
 
  1  
Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 08:44 pm
I wonder if there is a chapter covering why mommy had plastic surgery...

"Chapter 12: Why mommy had plastic surgery
Section 1: It's all about Vanity
Section 2: Mommy finds daddy's receptionist under his desk
Section 3: Surgery vs. Jewlery - Pros and Cons..."


Oiy! Razz
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 09:33 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Sorry, I am not buying it - I mean the arguments for the book Smile

I realize there are all kinds of "How to...." books out there, but who
can explain it better than Mommy when she's having plastic surgery
done?

We slowly become a society where for every little poop there is a
book out there describing how to do it "the right way". There is a
warning label on just about everything you buy and God forbid if
we have to make a decision of our own - the trauma can last a
lifetime.



Fair enough.


Thing is, a lot of parents find books useful as a starting tool, and some can't speak to their kids for toffee, or don't even think far enough to realise that there's a lot for a kid to deal with in mum having ANY surgery.


I'm not especially arguing for THIS book, but I do find books invaluable for lots of kids....not least because they can go back and back and back to them, which seems very helpful for some.
0 Replies
 
dadpad
 
  1  
Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 10:31 pm
Quote:
not least because they can go back and back and back to them, which seems very helpful for some.


Kids love repetition.
0 Replies
 
sozobe
 
  1  
Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 06:00 am
Yeah, I see what dlowan's saying.

IF it's gonna happen anyway, books can be useful.

The cover is positively horrible though (again I get what dlowan's saying about how it probably lines up with what the kids in question are being told).

The other day we were channel surfing and came up against the end of "What Not to Wear." We (whole family) enjoy that show, and watched the end. Then "10 Years Younger" was next, and I said bleh, change the channel. E.G. asked why I like one but not the other. I thought about it and then realized that "What Not to Wear" is all about accepting the body you have (and making it look as good as possible). "10 Years Younger" is all about the person saying "I hate myself" and the host saying "yeah, I see your point, let's fix you." It's not hard-core plastic surgery but it's a lot of dental surgery (veneers, etc), Botox and other injection-type stuff, laser resurfacing of skin, etc., etc.

Plus WNTW has funnier hosts.
0 Replies
 
George
 
  1  
Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 06:11 am
I'm working on a book about steroids:
My Dangerous Daddy
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 06:31 am
George wrote:
I'm working on a book about steroids:
My Dangerous Daddy


That's too close to the bone. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
0 Replies
 
Noddy24
 
  1  
Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 06:32 am
Quote:
Thing is, a lot of parents find books useful as a starting tool, and some can't speak to their kids for toffee, or don't even think far enough to realise that there's a lot for a kid to deal with in mum having ANY surgery.


I'm not especially arguing for THIS book, but I do find books invaluable for lots of kids....not least because they can go back and back and back to them, which seems very helpful for some.




I'm with Dlowan. Some parents are uninformed. Some parents are inarticulate. Some parents are overly respectful of the communications skills of experts. Consequently, Preparation for Reality Books can be exceedingly useful.

Cosmetic surgery isn't my personal choice, but I think more highly of a woman with a boob job than I do of a woman who cheats on her marriage--or her income tax-- or shoplifts or badmouths her family and neighbors.

I'm sure the plastic surgeon has a comfortable income, but undoubtedly some of his money comes from treating burn patients and damn fools who wouldn't wear seat belts and children born with cleft palates.

The cover of this book makes me wince, but a lot of things in this wicked world give me the heebie-jeebies.
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 06:35 am
I'd be happy to be a breast donor. :wink:
0 Replies
 
mushypancakes
 
  1  
Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 07:12 am
The cover makes me think...

"This will make mommy pretty...

Cause she is such a hag right now." Laughing

But, yeah, there are some parents that are not especially clued in and at least this book gives the kids some connection that is from the outside world instead of just the rambling of mamma ...
0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  1  
Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 07:30 am
sozobe wrote:
Then "10 Years Younger" was next, and I said bleh, change the channel. E.G. asked why I like one but not the other. I thought about it and then realized that "What Not to Wear" is all about accepting the body you have (and making it look as good as possible). "10 Years Younger" is all about the person saying "I hate myself" and the host saying "yeah, I see your point, let's fix you." It's not hard-core plastic surgery but it's a lot of dental surgery (veneers, etc), Botox and other injection-type stuff, laser resurfacing of skin, etc., etc.


10 Years Younger often takes a much longer approach to the re-vamp (weeks/months v 1 week in New York) - has included life-coaching, exercise program development, that sort of thing. It's quite a different program from WNTW - much more popular among the lunch-tv crowd at work.
0 Replies
 
sozobe
 
  1  
Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 08:04 am
The old version did (life coaching etc.) and I liked that version better. The new version is much Botoxier.
0 Replies
 
boomerang
 
  1  
Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 08:19 am
Those WNTW people absolutely terrify me.
0 Replies
 
JPB
 
  1  
Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 08:31 am
me too, boomer. They'd have a field day in my closet. I'm still wearing the same granola stuff I was wearing in 1968. I gave up makeup years ago and the only time I died my hair I had to have the bathroom repainted 'cuz I got dye on the walls. Laughing

I agree in general that, while I would never go the cosmetic PS route, those who make that decision would do well to prepare their small kids for the change. I don't think this book is necessarily the way to to it and the cover is obnoxious, but I agree with dlowan that the prep is a good thing.
0 Replies
 
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 09:25 am
JPB wrote - They'd have a field day in my closet. I'm still wearing the same granola stuff I was wearing in 1968. I gave up makeup years ago and the only time I died my hair I had to have the bathroom repainted 'cuz I got dye on the walls.

Now THAT made me laugh. (We're similar.)

An aside, if any here follow the Sartorialist, is there is a big bruhaha going on now re Sart getting involved doing one makeover. A lot of people are verydisappointed.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Tween girls - Discussion by sozobe
Excessive Public Affection to Small Children - Discussion by Phoenix32890
BS child support! - Discussion by Baldimo
Teaching boy how to be boys again - Discussion by Baldimo
Sex Education and Applied Psychology? - Discussion by gungasnake
A very sick 6 years old boy - Discussion by navigator
Baby at 8 weeks - Discussion by irisalert
 
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/22/2022 at 01:48:50