Mother's diet may be tied to baby's sex

Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 11:00 am
Having a hearty appetite, eating potassium-rich foods including bananas, and not skipping breakfast all seemed to raise the odds of having a boy. The research involved 700 first-time pregnant women in the UK who didn't know the sex of their fetuses. They were asked about their eating habits in the year before getting pregnant.

Women who ate at least one bowl of breakfast cereal daily were 87% more likely to have boys than those who ate no more than one bowlful per week. Cereal is a typical breakfast in Britain, and in the study, eating very little cereal was considered a possible sign of skipping breakfast. Compared with women who had girls, those who had boys ate an additional 300 milligrams of potassium daily on average. Also, women who had boys also ate about 400 calories more daily than those who had girls.

Well that explains it - I don't like breakfast much and often skip it. I hardly ever eat cereal and I do not eat bananas. Guess it was in the numbers for me to have girls.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,078 • Replies: 8
No top replies

lab rat

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 01:59 pm
I saw this study, too. Interesting--I always thought the father was the one who determined the gender of the child: the mother contributes an X chromosome, the father gives either X (for a girl) or Y (for a boy). I'm not sure how much the mother's diet could change things after conception; maybe it has more to do with her typical diet before the pregnancy?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 02:12 pm
People always see these news as new.

But I've seen similar studies thirty years ago..

The thing is, the diets change the vaginal milieu, making the progression of spermatozoids more or less easier according to them being XX or XY.

As you know, XX are slower but live long and XY are faster but have a shorter life.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 02:26 pm
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 03:01 pm
I've always heard that there was. My sister in law after having two girls started this diet that was suppose to help her have a boy the next time she tried to get pregnant...she had a boy....coincidence? Maybe but maybe not!
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 05:00 am
I hardly ever have breakfast, and if I do it's usually rolls or bacon and egg, rather than cereal.
Still, I had a boy!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 06:45 am
Look for hot girls with fat moms cuz they just want more, more, more.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 07:31 am
More proof men are better. Good diet: have a boy. Bad diet: your child will make less money in the workforce.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 07:39 am
Francis wrote:

As you know, XX are slower but live long and XY are faster but have a shorter life.

XY are faster because they have flagella. Eggs ( human oocytes) lack flagella)
0 Replies