Gay Abe?

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 06:34 pm
Do you dudes really believe the "myths" about Honest Abes sexual orientation?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,786 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 06:37 pm
Not being familiar with the myths, could you enlighten me please? That is, if it is ok for us dudettes to play the game too.... Wink
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 06:39 pm
Dudette? Don't demean youself, Butrfly--- we're

DUDA-ZONS! Cool
0 Replies

The Return Of The Zman

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 06:57 pm
The legend goes, Abe liked the fellas. He is rumored to have "got it on" with his V.P.!
0 Replies

The Return Of The Zman

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 07:04 pm
So do yall believe it?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 07:48 pm
To be honest, it doesn't really matter to me. It has nothing at all to do with him as a president of our country and is really nothing more then idle gossip of the quality found in the National Enquirer.

I'm not really fond of idle gossip or the people who thrive on spreading it around.
0 Replies

The Return Of The Zman

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 07:53 pm
You do have to admit.....it is interesting!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 08:03 pm
What do you find interesting about it? Not sure which "it" we're talking about, the rumor about Abe or gossip in general....
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 12:02 am
Where do these weird theories come from? There isn't a hint of sexual impropriety about Lincoln. Homosexual trysts with either of his Vice-Presidents is so far fetched that it might only be believed by those who failed high school history.

Lincoln did have some very strong and lasting relationships with men. His law partner, Herndon, was as closer to Lincoln than most yet no hint of scandal ever attached itself to them. Lincoln had many friends while riding circuit. Lawyers often traveled together in groups from one court to another. They shared rooms and beds because accommodations were rare, but in all my studies I've never heard anyone suggest that any of the riders in one of the most famous Circuit Courts in American history was gay. These men had no secrets from one another for they were too close to one another over periods of years. They drank, gambled and fought one another at the bar and in the rude bars of the frontier. Any hint of scandal would have ruined any of those lawyers, and Lincoln was highly regarded by both attorneys and judges on the Circuit.

Lincoln was a social climber. His marriage must have been terribly uncomfortable many times, but there is every evidence that he was, at bottom, devoted to his wife. His first love died, and Lincoln feared he would never love or be loved again. Then Mary Todd set her sights on him. Mrs. Lincoln had some big emotional problems. She was a spendthrift who kept Lincoln perpetually broke. Her jealousy of other women was infamous, though Lincoln's behavior was never out of line.

Lincoln's life is one of the most documented of all our national leaders. He was seldom truely alone, though he was a very private man. His secretaries and the members of his Cabinet were constantly about. He was in and out of government offices much more than recent executives. Nothing exists in the collected Lincoln papers, nor in the papers of his close associates to suggest Lincoln was ever unfaithful to his wife with ANYONE, regardless of plumbing.

Again ... where do these tabiloide tales come from? Can you cite any evidence what-so-ever to support this libel?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 04:56 am
Evidence never was Wolf's strong suit--he's just trying to raise a ruckus, and convince us that he's worth talking to . . . you'll learn in time, Asherman. "The return of zman" was here before, as Wolf, and demonstrated a thorough-going lack of real scholarship, and its techniques, as well as an addiction to sensationalism and superstition tarted up as science . . . nothing but the name has changed.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:28 am
Since I know you are wrong about your wolf/zman link I'm interested in seeing your standards for evidence.

Zman was here before.. as zman.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:52 am
Well, you may be right about zman not being Wolf, but the style is the same. When i first referred to zman as Wolf, he/she/it didn't deny, so i took it as true.

Whether or not, the style is the same. He came into the mocking thread i had started as "Nuke a Gay Whale . . ." and offered NNY as someone who would . . . i don't know what--refute what i wrote? Who knows, the reference was obscure. Then he made an insulting remark about the avatar of eBeth's dogs--something which Wolf had done. You know Craven, it is entirely possible that zman and Wolf were always the same, but that he/she/it was posting from different computers, hence there were different IP addresses. Your knowledge of those who post here is not omniscient, you could be wrong as well.

But, as i've said, the style is the same, and this thread was obviously started to try to come off like an iconoclast, and stir up some trouble.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 10:12 am
Other than the faulty notion of what constitutes evidence there really are no similarities between them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 10:35 am
This one has the habit of applying to others insulting names which are common among teenagers these days--just as Wolf once referred to me as a "mummy." I'll take your word for it.

Be warned Ash, not to take this gentleman seriously.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 10:39 am
<cav builds a sandbox for zman and NNY to play in together>

All I know about honest Abe is that he was great in that episode of Star Trek.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 10:40 am
He does a good job of holding down the five dollar bill, as well.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 10:54 am
He was good in "Hair" too.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 11:12 am
ha ha
0 Replies

BigKrunkDizzle

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 10:17 pm
Ive never heard that, but i wouldn't be suprised. i hurd Hoover was a cross dresser, from my History Teacher.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 06:02 am
seems like youse agreeing with yourself Rolling Eyes
0 Replies