Wesley Snipes sentenced: 3-yrs for Failing to FileTax return

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 06:57 pm
Quote:
OCALA, Fla. -- A federal judge has sentenced action star Wesley Snipes to the maximum three-year sentence on tax charges.

Prosecutors had requested three years, one year for each of Snipes' convictions of willfully failing to file a tax return.

Snipes' lawyers offered three dozen letters from family members, friends and even fellow actors Woody Harrelson and Denzel Washington attesting to his good character. They argued he should get only probation, because all three convictions were misdemeanors and the actor had no previous criminal record.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article...11040&GT1=7701

This smells to high heaven like a Racist Florida Judge. It's a Misdemeanor Conviction and a first offense. He should have been sentenced to a fine and maybe some Community Service; but 'Hard Time??' Even O.J. Simpson didn't get to serve any hard time (of course he wasn't convicted), or let's not forget all those other Hollywood Celebrities who get to do a stint in the Betty Ford Clinic to expunge their misdeeds.

I guess Snipes didn't show enough remorse for the White 'Massa' in the black Robes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,607 • Replies: 18
No top replies

snood

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:01 pm
Yeah, I saw that, and it sounded like some boolsheet to me.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:06 pm
Don't mess with the IRS. Stuff like this usually sends white people to jail -think Al Capone. It's sad that he is going be put in jail for three years, but it's pretty basic knowledge that you have to file your taxes. It seems to me the he should charged with arrogant stupidity as well as tax evasion. I think judges are cracking down on these old fashioned "white collar" crimes more than in the past. Martha Stewart and Paris Hilton certainly didn't get off because of their skin color.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:13 pm
Yeah, GW, I immediately thought about Martha... and let's not forget about Lord Conrad Black. I think in this case skin colour is irrelevant; celebs are no longer getting away with DUIs, assaults, drug and white collar crimes... this is just more evidence of that.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:16 pm
The IRS is colorblind, other than green...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 08:29 pm
I can't believe it...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 08:36 pm
Re: Wesley Snipes sentenced: 3-yrs for Failing to FileTax re
Primotivo wrote:
or let's not forget all those other Hollywood Celebrities who get to do a stint in the Betty Ford Clinic to expunge their misdeeds.

How many of the Betty Ford gang tried to rip off the government for $25 million?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 08:52 pm
he'll get off on appeal...
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 12:45 am
The original link didn't work. Here is one that does:
http://entertainment.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=311109

"I am an idealistic, naive, passionate, truth-seeking, spiritually motivated artist, unschooled in the science of law and finance," Snipes said. He said his wealth and celebrity attracted "wolves and jackals like flies are attracted to meat." He called himself "well-intentioned, but miseducated." Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 01:15 am
Sure. Like the IRS just dropped this on him with no warning at all.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 03:09 am
I don't think his race had nearly as much to do with this as his wealth and fame.

Quote:
"This case presents the court with a singular opportunity to deter tax fraud nationwide," the government said in its sentencing recommendation.

"In the defendant Wesley Snipes, the court is presented with a wealthy, famous and inveterate tax scofflaw. If ever a tax offender was deserving of being held accountable to the maximum extent for his criminal wrongdoing, Snipes is that defendant," it says.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/15/snipes.tax.sentencing/index.html

I am more than a bit surprised at the language used. No effort at all is made to hide that they are trying to make a public example out of Snipes and I don't like that at all.

His sentence is going to be reduced significantly.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 09:51 am
I hope they throw the book at him. I pay my taxes, why shouldn't he.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 10:06 am
I thought the IRS has been after him for a while to get these taxes paid?

If that is the case, then there is no excuse. I do think 3 years is a bit extreme, but perhaps the judge sentenced him for that anticipating an appeal and reduced sentenced.

I don't feel sorry for some one if they know that they need to pay taxes and do not. It really isn't fair that those of us with significantly less earning pay and he does not pay his fair share.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 11:18 am
Really, who does this guy think he is? George Soros?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 12:19 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Don't mess with the IRS. Stuff like this usually sends white people to jail -think Al Capone.

FYI, Capone wasnt convicted for not filing his taxes, he was convicted for not reporting all of his income.

He claimed that since it was illegally earned, why should he pay legal taxes on it.
The govt didnt buy that at all, thats why Capone was convicted.

I think the judge in the Wesley Snipes did give a sentence that doesnt fit the crime.
I think that the judge was angry that the jury aquitted Snipes of all of the felony counts and wanted to punish Snipes for that.

Expect this sentence to be overturned on appeal.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 05:47 am
What an idiot. He could have raped or killed someone and gotten off light. But, no, he chooses to not give the government their graft money.

What did he think was gonna happen?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 06:09 am
How can one not know they haven't filed their taxes for ten years?

Then he walks in and pays five million the day before he's sentenced thinking what, that he can buy his way out?

C'mon. His color isn't involved.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 07:28 am
he should just dispatch everyone involved Blade style....after all.... who are bigger vampires than the IRS? :wink:
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 03:05 am
Quote:
Supreme Court Turns Down Wesley Snipes’ Appeal
Written by Associated Press on June 6, 2011 1:41 pm

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court has turned away the latest attempt by actor Wesley Snipes to get his conviction and prison sentence on tax charges overturned.

LINK: Jill Scott Reveals Her 3 Most Memorable Black Moments

The high court refused Monday to hear an appeal from Snipes, convicted in 2008 on three misdemeanor counts of willful failure to file income tax returns.

Snipes started a three-year term in a federal minimum security prison in December. He has appeared in dozens of films, from “White Men Can’t Jump” and “Demolition Man” in the early 1990s to the blockbuster Blade trilogy.

Snipes wanted his trial held in New York City, where he says he lived, but the government brought charges against him in Florida, where Snipes held a driver’s license. The lower courts refused to let him have an evidentiary hearing on this issue.

http://newsone.com/nation/associatedpress1/supreme-court-turns-down-wesley-snipes-appeal/
0 Replies