Girls and Video Games

Rain

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 06:26 pm
I agree with miss redhead...us girls can be kool too!!! i love racing games like viper, star wars, tony hawk skateboarding and mario games...ect. ect. I admit that i did play with barbie dolls as a kid, but i mostly had them doing action movie stunts, lol, and i played with my legos and toy solders more than anything else. nowadays, i don't even do girlie stuff. i have an electric guitar that i play, and listen to a majority of *male* metal bands. (Evenescence is the only girl one)...i love cars too and i want a 70's Chevelle. not Pink...dark blue or black. anywho...chat witcha peeps later.

- Rain
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 08:23 pm
I spent the whole dang day playing morrowind. THE WHOLE DAY. I have to get a life.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 08:42 pm
I know how you feel. I spent the whole damn day having sex! I need a life! Or at least a partner.

[size=7]tee hee[/size]
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 10:53 am
I have a blow up sheep I can send you.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 10:57 am
U r confusing craven with gus slappy ? Heavy night in town eh ? eh ?
0 Replies

Rain

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 10:47 pm
and for a little while, here i thought i had the most insanity in the world, and now you guys steal it away from me!!! not fair!!!...by the way, about that blow up sheep... lol.

- River
0 Replies

maddy42

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 03:33 pm
I'm a 14 year old girl and I'm not at all tom-boyish really, but not exactly over-girly either. I play computer games quite a lot but it is possibly because my 2 older brothers always did and got me into them.

Though I don't play as much as they used to I play the LBA series (little big adventure), the Monkey Island series, Rayman, Black and White & The Sims (I have to admit). Those are the main ones on the pc, but although we own them I have to say I never really got into Red Alert, Tiberian Sun, Quake etc., though I did very much like Duke Nukem hehe! I also like playing Mario and Zelda on emulators.

And on the playstation I like playing shooting games like Point Blank, Time Crisis etc. And also things like Crash Bandicoot and dancemat games. Embarrassed Which I know sounds girly but they honestly aren't thaaaat girly as I know several guys who own dance mats and they aren't at all feminine Razz !

I think that it may partly be because girls don't automatically think of video games when they think of forms of entertainment so much, whereas boys talk to each other about games more (in my experience) and do tend to automatically go into those realms, maybe advertising aims more at boys? I also think that maybe the younger generations of girls are maybe starting to play video games more, but I'm not sure, these thoughts have no basis, just me guessing and thinking, so please let me know your opinions and whether you agree hehe. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Name

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 08:26 pm
girls have no "natural instinct" for video games. A girl i know named Liz has no desire to play games she rether be living life than believing that she is living another life.

other girls are very good at games they have to make their own choices (it also relates to the area and environment in whic they live)

Edit (MODERATOR): Signature removed. Please do not employ links or images in Signatures
0 Replies

soserene

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 12:34 am
I'll put in my "girly" two cents.... First of all, There have been times, when discovering a new game that I like, that I will sit in front of my computer and play for days at a time.... Fortunately, that kind of "zone" is only temporary, until the "new" wears off. As far as types of games, for me... when I first started really enjoying video games, I was into the Zelda type games, and then, of course, final fantasy. THEN I bought a PC... and I have a pretty decent collection now. Yes, I do own a copy of the Sims, however, it wasn't fascinating enough to go spend thirty bucks a month when they came out with a new expansion. ($30.00 expansion .. and you get to have a pet!!! weeee)
I have been playing Ultima Online FAITHFULLY for four years now. I tried Everquest for a couple months, but UO was SO much better, so I cancelled. Then I started gettin into the strategy games.. Pharaoh/Cleopatra.. Tycoon games, Tropico, Civilization III, Age of Empires. I have never been interested in the arcade type games, or the shoot em, stab em games, I don't like anything hectic and fast paced, where you have to have to rely on reflexes and your ability to focus all of your attention in one spot.

As far as the Psychological reasons why each gender tends to prefer a certain genre of game.. Hmmmmm... This is my opinion...
The traditional "roles" of women and men in every day life play a huge part.
I think, IN GENERAL (NOT ALL THE TIME), women need and enjoy to more intellectual than men. Especially if she spends alot of time with children. A man is content to play the same level .. over and over and over and over and over every time he dies until he gets to the next level... and then he does it over and over over and over and so on.. When he finally wins the game? What does he do? Starts from the beginning. In my opinion, men associate guns and blood and speed with manliness...all force, chaos and power.... Where a woman prefers to gradually manipulate and control. You will notice that the goal in "boy" games is to SAVE the world, and in "girl" games, it's to TAKE OVER the world. And I'd bet if we did a survey (maybe I'll start a new thread for it) we'd find that the men that spent the most amount of time playing those kind of games, felt like they were lacking somewhere in their "manly" duties... like.. if they have dominant wives, or they don't have a job, or they feel that they should be able to do more for their kids, low self esteem.. that sort of thing... And we'd probably find that the women that spent the most amount of time playing their "girly" games probably would feel like she did not have enough control over her real world, maybe really unorganized... or being surrounded by constant chaos all the time... (that's where the kids come in lol) Which is why I think it's so easy to get "absorbed"....

I believe you can tell alot about a person by what they do in their spare time, what kind of games they play and how much time they spend on them.

Just like the people who spend alot of time posting here on the forum... ( Maybe I'll have to start a thread for this first to test my theory lol) I'd guess that alot of the "regulars" probably feel underappreciated, spend alot of time isolated at work, or maybe even at home, and I may be wrong here but probably the type that would prefer to have one or two BEST friends that they could confide, trust and count on no matter what, than have 20 people they'd consider a "friend"

What people do "for fun" is really just what they substitute in order to meet their needs as a human being.....

Maybe that's why it's so hard to be a single parent!!

****************The End****************lol
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 05:50 am
Just a quick one to say I am a complete Sims addict...love it, erm, I love Zelda and am chomping my way through the Ocarina of time and Majora's mask on the game cube, but my all time favourite is Mario Kart Double Dash...a firm favourite in our house!

Me and my younger sister love them, other sister and mum hate them...
0 Replies

LazyLiz

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 11:24 am
Choo talkin bout foo?

I have to say I dissagree with the whole "Chicks don't dig violence" Thing that people seem to latch onto. I Am possibly the most competitive and violent fourteen year old girl that you're likely to come across. I curse and scream and growl while playing pong, and don't get me started on tetris!! Big fan of RPGs I have to say, and girls do like to get very involved with the whole self immersion thing going on.

Perhaps the reason the Sims series is so appealing to the "fairer" sex is the character creator. I know it's the bit I love the most in most games that have the option, I often create characters and abandon them, moving onto another thing to create. Sounds pretty maternal . huh? But I'll tell you, nothing beats slashing wildly at your foes with a big ol' phallic sword. No guns for me thanks. Guns Bore the hell out of me. "This is a gun, it shoots bits of metal at people. Ooo, here is another gun, it also shoots metal from one end but... it's bigger!" Yawn.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 09:25 am
Ah, video games, how I love thee!

I confess that I have allowed many hours, even days, of my life to be absorbed in the sheer escapism heaven that is gaming. From my very first Atari to my beautiful PS2, I have tasted fully of the bitter-sweet food of the gods which we mortals call video games. I cannot number the hours, nor can I tell what lives I have led in my journey through electronic mystery. I have been bounty hunters and fighter pilots, mermaids and sorcerers, heroes and villains. A thousand shifting identities. A thousand stories and lives laid bare before my eyes.

Why do I love video games? For the challenge. For the story. To interact with a world in which the impossible becomes possible.

Hmm, what shall I play now, GTA, FFX, or maybe Metal Gear? Perhaps I shall hook up the Cube and play some Metroid or Rogue Suadron, or even some Crystal Chronicles!

No. I shall stay right here and play Red Alert. (But which one?)
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 10:57 pm
I've played videogames a lot since the NES, I was about 4 at the time, and I enjoy practically every genre mainly because I played whatever came into my hands before.

Yes, I am male, but yes, I sometimes wish I was female, and yes, sometimes I am, so this comes from an unique point of view.

I tend to pick girl characters first (this is usually in fighting games), in part because I can identify with them and in part because they're usually the easy-to-learn-with character (to attract potential girl players). I sometimes enter online RPGs as a girl and enjoy viewing things from a different perspective, I get to be a whole new character (including all the social connotations of being of one sex) and it's very fulfilling. I got a Sims craze for about a week, when I saw that I wouldn't get very far buying the same things... still at first, it was like a dream come true, it was living as someone else in the same context you live right now, instantly you are doing the same things while being someone else... that's where I find the game's appeal. I am yet to find a great life/dating sim, it seems that Wedding Peach is one but it's only available in Japan...

Generally, women tend to look at videogames the same way men view shopping for clothes...
0 Replies

Kat325

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 10:35 pm
I play online games like Call of Duty, Joint operations, and americas Army, I love my gory first person shooters, I play with a bunch of guys and it takes a while to explain that I am a girl, I think it is funny the way they talk when they discover they were killed by a girl, that is the best.

Kat
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 11:05 pm
I just started playing the bloodmoon attachment to morrowind. I keep dying. It's good to see this thread pop back up to current fare.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 02:59 am
I don't know what it is about Red Alert...but I sure do like to play it.
0 Replies

holpar3

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:48 am
I am an rpg person. Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana, Dungeon Siege, Diablo, Star Wars Knights of the Old Rebublic. But with a few I am a bit of a PC snob just because I can't remember black button pause or quick key (x-box) I like quick keys on my keyboard with letter association. I also like fighting games, Mortal Kombat up to Trilogy, Street Fighter when they remember how to count, Soul Blade/Cailber, Tekken. The only game I have issues with are racing games and first person shooters, However I like to rectify due to Halo 2. It looks awesome.
0 Replies

phenom

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 06:12 pm
My sister cranks the Xbox every now and then. She's stolen my N64 and SNES too and love all those games. My mum is just hooked on the Sims 2. She's got so much into it, we just bought a new kitchen and ripped up our carpet for floorboards!
0 Replies

GrumpyGirl

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 07:09 pm
Im a female and I love video games. I prefer more of the rpgs and shooters. I was never a big fan of the sims.
0 Replies

XBOX MAD

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2005 08:37 am
girls suck at video games
0 Replies