Girls and Video Games

sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 04:45 pm
That's the Sims, pretty much. Far as I can tell.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 04:45 pm
What's a relationship?
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 04:52 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
What's a relationship?

aka mute houseboy. Laughing
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 04:53 pm
Hmm. No wonder I doant want one. Slappy got suckered into one. <points and laughs>

BTW, The Sims forces you to make relationships. Very girly.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 11:37 pm
I've noticed woman I've dated (this includes my wife) seem to like the resident evil series....I like it too lol I find a play more video games with her lil cousin then I do her though, anyway I think females are getting into video games more as well as the electronics area.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 07:08 am
When I was a kid I spent a lot of time at the video arcade. We had an early PC and I played black and white, simple line games on it. I stopped for a long time mostly because I didn't have a capable computer and the arcade games got so far beyond my skill level.

Then my computer picked up. I've played Myst and Riven and own Morrowind III: The Elder Scrolls. The later is a bit violent, you have to kill things, but it is still better geared toward women as well as men. You have female options for your character (and they aren't bimbos), there are female characters throughout the game. There are definitely social aspects. You can increase your social skills to get a better price on a product, get info/items from another character without killing them, etc. You learn and increase your skill level by reading books.......
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 07:41 am
Tetris is about the only video game I've spent any time with. I've heard it's supposed to be girly, though I don't really get why.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 09:01 am
I used to play tetris on my gameboy, hell my whole family did trying to beat each others scores I don't see it being gender based at all.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 07:57 pm
Maybe because it's non-violent?
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 08:11 pm
but not all games marketed to the male gender are violent either. Plus I know many woman who are violent lol
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 10:22 am
I think our choices in video games in general are what our personalities are craving for, or finding enjoyment in, even if it is violent. Its strange. I have a great aunt who wants a computer only to play her computer games, which are child like games like BugsLife or crosswords, etc. Those are the things she enjoys and keep her challenged.
I like all the old school arcade games still, as well as SimCity, Ceasar, and ZooTycoon at the moment.
I have enjoyed Quake and others but, when it comes to those I send the most time with, its more for fun and challenge.
I dont know, the Sims actually I always thought...gosh..I dont think I want to have Barbie but, I have been interested in what people have said about it, I might try it but, when I go to look at new games...its not the first place I go, certainly.
Growing up basically in an arcade I think ..ahem..older women today dont have that must play feminine games like Barbie stereotype, we are actually accepted for our lust for more than that. And those teenagers who have grown up with computer games have an entirely larger world of games to choose from as well.
All I can see from it is good things.
It seems to always go back to violence in video games but, I dont believe it should be marked as gender specific...violence or games. I mean, we're past that, aren't we?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 10:26 am
I just read something about the average age of people who played videogames being 18 in 1992 and 29 this year. Like, nobody gave it up, and nobody new started. Razz But I think it's actually that the core group generally hung onto it, and then younger and older people are joining.
0 Replies

xy2k

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 06:55 am
I don't see why girls can't play video games. I'm a girl and play games on my PC, PS2 and GBA (although I don't get a lot of time to do it regularly any more as I've started my AS levels Sad ).

I play basically anything except simulations (they're stupid in my opinion) and sports games.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 08:42 pm
Hi xy2k,

Welcome to A2K. I don't think people are saying that girls can't play video games, I think they're saying that not many of the video games are designed to attract many girl players.

What are some of your favorite video games to play and why do you like those specific ones rather then their competion?
0 Replies

xy2k

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 11:18 am
Hey,

Not necessarily, I think there are plenty of games girls can play. I mean, not all games are violent and gory.

For me, I play games that are not of a specific genre. My favourites will have to be.. Devil May Cry 2 (because the guy's good looking :wink:, the fighting techniques are great and the devil transformation's pretty cool too), FFX (confusing story line but good graphics and music and aeon summons), GTA Vice City (brilliant game in general although I'm crap with motorbikes), Quake 3 (no reason), RTCW (again, I don't know why), Dungeon Siege because it's original, and Golden Sun 1 & 2 are good as well.

I don't touch any flight sims, racers (get headaches from these) or sports games (what's the point?) and The Sims is, in my opinion, the most imbecilic game anyone can ever create.

Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 12:02 pm
Would you describe yourself as a "tom boy"? If so, nuff said.
0 Replies

xy2k

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 01:27 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Would you describe yourself as a "tom boy"? If so, nuff said.

Actually, I wouldn't say so Laughing
0 Replies

Chenrontom

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 01:23 pm
I think girls are so gross. They stink...... Check my other polls though!!!
0 Replies

Chenrontom

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 01:23 pm
Just kidding. I watch so manu hentais that i don't have a choice but to think they're hot!
0 Replies

Miss RedHead

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 06:16 pm
What is it about guys and their 'games'!!..???

Not that I have a problem with this...cause I like it myself!!

It's just that there aren't a lot of girls that play games on their "Preciuossss".

I know what you're thinking..We Play With DOLLS!!, well 'NEWSFLASH'..Not this girl, and a 'few' other girls that aren't such babies.
Back in the old days I played a lot with race-tracks, lego, WWF-dolls (OK, that doesn't count as 'A Doll')...and so on! Also I had for myself 2 Atari's (old and new).

And Nowadays I play a little bit of AAALLL the games my boyfriend has, and I only like playing games that aren't THAT difficult and games I can win, like 'Tekken'('4' with Christie), Resident Evil, Mario cart/golf and party, Tombraider, Twisted Metal, Spyro (uhum, well yeh, I'm still a Girl), Sims Deluxe,...and OFCORSE Atari and C64 classics.

So the moral of this story is......WE GIRLS CAN BE COOL TOO Twisted Evil!!

-x-
0 Replies