MEDICARE, WTF?

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 04:46 am
Diane wrote:
Our health care system is all for profit. Just the opposite should be true to insure that everyone has the same access.

The most vulnerable are seldom treated with respect, access to beneficial medicines, healthful food and personal attention. All those things cost money. When a doctor receives a bonus for the fewest prescriptions and tests given, he or she will opt for the money. I know a few who refuse to be part of the system, but they are in a minority.

Diane- I agree with you that our medical system has gotten to a place where doctors are caught between a rock and a hard place. One of the problems is managed care, where you have yet another layer of (unnecessary) bureaucracy that wants to be paid.

I certainly can be sensitive to your feelings on account of your experiences with your brother. The reality is that is is not only the disabled who are often given short shrift from the medical community. The elderly and the infirm, who are incapable of advocating for themselves often have the same problem.

I do disagree that all people are entitled to equal access. Doctors are not priests, and are not in the business of charity, although there are many good doctors who do offer some of their time gratis in order to serve poor people in clinics.

Doctors have put a great deal of time and money into their education, and setting up an office. Because of the medical situation today, many good people who would have gone into medicine are opting for other careers. As a result, I am seeing, over the last couple of decades, a spate
of mediocre physicians with whom I would not trust my life and health.

I am totally against universal health care. If that ever happened, I could forsee a time where the best and the brightest would not even consider medicine as a career, and the country would be left with even more mediocrities in the medical field.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 04:55 am
More and more drs that I have been in contact with, or that have seen my wife, are more interested in pawning off designer drugs than using that high cost education to actually heal somebody.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 05:05 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Diane wrote:
Our health care system is all for profit. Just the opposite should be true to insure that everyone has the same access.

The most vulnerable are seldom treated with respect, access to beneficial medicines, healthful food and personal attention. All those things cost money. When a doctor receives a bonus for the fewest prescriptions and tests given, he or she will opt for the money. I know a few who refuse to be part of the system, but they are in a minority.

Diane- I agree with you that our medical system has gotten to a place where doctors are caught between a rock and a hard place. One of the problems is managed care, where you have yet another layer of (unnecessary) bureaucracy that wants to be paid.

I certainly can be sensitive to your feelings on account of your experiences with your brother. The reality is that is is not only the disabled who are often given short shrift from the medical community. The elderly and the infirm, who are incapable of advocating for themselves often have the same problem.

I do disagree that all people are entitled to equal access. Doctors are not priests, and are not in the business of charity, although there are many good doctors who do offer some of their time gratis in order to serve poor people in clinics.

Doctors have put a great deal of time and money into their education, and setting up an office. Because of the medical situation today, many good people who would have gone into medicine are opting for other careers. As a result, I am seeing, over the last couple of decades, a spate
of mediocre physicians with whom I would not trust my life and health.

I am totally against universal health care. If that ever happened, I could forsee a time where the best and the brightest would not even consider medicine as a career, and the country would be left with even more mediocrities in the medical field.

I agree with you Phoenix. Doing my best to educate myself on all fronts. I have worked for an insurance company since I was 18 off and on. It is one of the best - but, I have seen many sad things come to pass for the customers of this company as well. Something needs to be done...I just don't know what.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 05:52 am
Miller wrote:
Diane wrote:
... When a doctor receives a bonus for the fewest prescriptions and tests given...

Does this make sense?

Why should a physician receive a bonus, when increased medical expense as a result of patient illness ( due to fewer Rxs and tests ), is the result?

When a mammogram or a colonoscopy is ordered for a patient and the patient follows through with the exams, this is money in the bank for the healthcare facility providing the tests to the tune of about $500/mammogram and $2000+/colonoscopy, all paid for by most if not all health insurance plans.

So...why would the physicians order fewer tests?

I think that you need to go back a few decades (probably the 1970's- 1980's or so) to get a handle on this. Many doctors were fearful of malpractice lawsuits. As a result, some doctors would order unnecessary and expensive tests, just to cover their butts.

When managed care came in, supposedly to reduce costs, often doctors were "encouraged financially" to be more judicious in their ordering of tests. Problem is, that this swung the problem in the other direction, with some HMO members not being prescribed tests that might, in the long run, be beneficial financially to the insurance companies.

In the mid '80's through my work, I attended a seminar on DRGs. For those who are unfamiliar with the term, it means, "diagnostic related groups", and was originally used by Medicare. Each illness has a particular length of stay in the hospital. The system was meant to cut out unnecessary costs.

Over the years, other insurance companies have followed the DRG guidelines. That is why people are rushed out of the hospital, when often they need more care.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 10:05 am
Answers .......

kllik here

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 10:16 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

So you think that we've got here in Germany only under-average doctors ... since more than 120 years? Shocked
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 03:45 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

So you think that we've got here in Germany only under-average doctors ... since more than 120 years? Shocked

Walter- I have no idea as to the medical situation in Germany. I do know the culture of medicine in the U.S., and stand by my remark.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 04:34 pm
Actually in the ranking of global health care. Germany comes in at 25th while America registers in at #37 just behind Costa Rica but in front of Slovenia.

(as of year 2000 Webpage Title )

Rank Country

1 France
2 Italy
3 San Marino
4 Andorra
5 Malta
6 Singapore
7 Spain
8 Oman
9 Austria
10 Japan
11 Norway
12 Portugal
13 Monaco
14 Greece
15 Iceland
16 Luxembourg
17 Netherlands
18 United Kingdom
19 Ireland
20 Switzerland
21 Belgium
22 Colombia
23 Sweden
24 Cyprus
25 Germany
26 Saudi Arabia
27 United Arab Emirates
28 Israel
29 Morocco
30 Canada
31 Finland
32 Australia
33 Chile
34 Denmark
35 Dominica
36 Costa Rica
37 United States of America
38 Slovenia
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:15 pm
Gelisgesti- Interesting. I would be interested in the parameters that were used in that list.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:28 pm
This is part of the list of worldwide infant mortality

rates published by the CIA. I only copied the part of the

list starting with the rating of the US. For the complete

list, use the link below.

Central Intelligence Agency
World Fact Book

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbo

ok/rankorder/2091rank.html

180 United States 6.30 2008 est.
181 Korea, South 5.94 2008 est.
182 Cuba 5.93 2008 est.
183 European Union 5.84 2008 est.
184 Isle of Man 5.62 2008 est.
185 Italy 5.61 2008 est.
186 Taiwan 5.45 2008 est.
187 San Marino 5.44 2008 est.
188 Greece 5.25 2008 est.
189 Monaco 5.18 2008 est.
190 Ireland 5.14 2008 est.
191 Canada 5.08 2008 est.
192 Jersey 5.01 2008 est.
193 New Zealand 4.99 2008 est.
194 United Kingdom 4.93 2008 est.
195 Gibraltar 4.91 2008 est.
196 Portugal 4.85 2008 est.
197 Netherlands 4.81 2008 est.
198 Luxembourg 4.62 2008 est.
199 Guernsey 4.53 2008 est.
200 Liechtenstein 4.52 2008 est.
201 Australia 4.51 2008 est.
202 Belgium 4.50 2008 est.
203 Austria 4.48 2008 est.
204 Denmark 4.40 2008 est.
205 Macau 4.30 2008 est.
206 Slovenia 4.30 2008 est.
207 Israel 4.28 2008 est.
208 Spain 4.26 2008 est.
209 Switzerland 4.23 2008 est.
210 Andorra 4.03 2008 est.
211 Germany 4.03 2008 est.
212 Czech Republic 3.83 2008 est.
213 Malta 3.79 2008 est.
214 Norway 3.61 2008 est.
215 Anguilla 3.54 2008 est.
216 Finland 3.50 2008 est.
217 France 3.36 2008 est.
218 Iceland 3.25 2008 est.
219 Hong Kong 2.93 2008 est.
220 Japan 2.80 2008 est.
221 Sweden 2.75 2008 est.
222 Singapore
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:34 pm
Phoenix, we will probably always disagree--good thing we are friends and that you have such a nice husband, but I digress...

I do suggest you watch Sicko if you haven't already. Michael Moore had done a fine job of comparing health care systems.

I know he more than likely used a very focussed group to make his point, but I think the general idea is that the US will never have a good system as long as Pharmeceutical companies and HMO's have any say in the process. They are For Profit. They aren't altruistic. The cracks will be just as wide as they are now.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:22 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Gelisgesti- Interesting. I would be interested in the parameters that were used in that list.

klik the blue link just after the year 2000 'webpage title' on my post

or go here
http://www.photius.com/rankings/who_world_health_ranks.html

The World Health Organization
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 2 May, 2008 09:05 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Miller wrote:
Diane wrote:
... When a doctor receives a bonus for the fewest prescriptions and tests given...

Does this make sense?

Why should a physician receive a bonus, when increased medical expense as a result of patient illness ( due to fewer Rxs and tests ), is the result?

When a mammogram or a colonoscopy is ordered for a patient and the patient follows through with the exams, this is money in the bank for the healthcare facility providing the tests to the tune of about $500/mammogram and $2000+/colonoscopy, all paid for by most if not all health insurance plans.

So...why would the physicians order fewer tests?

I think that you need to go back a few decades (probably the 1970's- 1980's or so) to get a handle on this. Many doctors were fearful of malpractice lawsuits. As a result, some doctors would order unnecessary and expensive tests, just to cover their butts.

When managed care came in, supposedly to reduce costs, often doctors were "encouraged financially" to be more judicious in their ordering of tests. Problem is, that this swung the problem in the other direction, with some HMO members not being prescribed tests that might, in the long run, be beneficial financially to the insurance companies.

In the mid '80's through my work, I attended a seminar on DRGs. For those who are unfamiliar with the term, it means, "diagnostic related groups", and was originally used by Medicare. Each illness has a particular length of stay in the hospital. The system was meant to cut out unnecessary costs.

Over the years, other insurance companies have followed the DRG guidelines. That is why people are rushed out of the hospital, when often they need more care.

Patients unwilling to pay the additional cost of hospitalization, on their own, will be forced to leave the hospital. Others, among the most wealthy, will pay out of their own pockets the additional cost and often stay 6 months or more in the hospital.

All patients are offered the option to stay in the hospital, after insurance stops paying, if they're willing to assume the cost of additional hospitalization. Many patients instead opt to go to so-called Re-Habs instead. Insurance does pay in many cases this additional cost of medical care in a rehab or nursing home ( short term ).

Money as always, talks.
0 Replies