Has BBC lost any credibility with the participants of A2K?

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:31 am
The BBC is playing at power games
By Janet Daley
(Filed: 03/09/2003)

There can be little question now that David Kelly was sacrificed - in the vulgar phrase, "hung out to dry" - by all the principal players in this great public drama.

The question that remains is, at what point did the chain of events become inexorable? When did this appalling process take on the inevitability that made it the stuff of high tragedy, rather than simply misadventure?

First, Andrew Gilligan created a story out of their private conversation that Dr Kelly found (as he told everyone, with stunning consistency, from the foreign affairs select committee to his own daughter) virtually unrecognisable.

Gilligan then effectively unmasked him as the source of Susan Watts's account and therefore of his (Gilligan's) own, in an email to David Chidgey, a Liberal Democrat committee member, whose party was sympathetic to the anti-war position.

Then Dr Kelly's employers at the MoD participated in his exposure, despite having given him explicit assurances that they would not do so.

Was this under pressure from Downing Street that, apparently ruthlessly, demanded that his identity be made public? Almost undoubtedly. But given what had transpired, how could the Prime Minister's office have done otherwise?

The charge that the Gilligan story had made against Tony Blair and later, by name, Alastair Campbell, was the most serious allegation that it is possible to make against a government. What was being claimed was that the country had been sent to war, and British lives had been lost, on the basis of a lie.

This is practically tantamount to accusing the Prime Minister of murder. It is far more grave than any accusation of financial corruption or even criminal misdemeanour in office.

To make such an assertion was effectively to say to every British family that had lost a serving soldier in Iraq: your son, or brother, or husband, died on false premises, to serve the vanity of a deceitful political leader.

It is absolutely inconceivable that this could have been allowed to stand as a story having the imprimatur of the BBC. It is vital to note this point.

Had Gilligan simply published his piece in the Mail on Sunday, the whole farago could have been dismissed as tabloid sensationalism. But because it was broadcast on the BBC and never retracted, it flew round the world, and became the substance for a million queries of the Government's veracity in the run-up to war.

It is appalling, but almost irresistible, to conclude that, if Gilligan had not broadcast his original report and if its implications had not then been picked up and spun out by the media - especially the BBC itself, which led its news coverage for weeks on "the suspicious case of the WMD that haven't been found" - Dr Kelly might still be alive.

But most crucially: if the BBC had agreed promptly to some sort of correction or retraction of its earliest version of the Gilligan story, the entire train of events would have been stopped in its tracks.

There is some degree of mystery as to why the BBC did not do this. A newspaper caught in a similar position - that is, with a story it cannot stand up - would certainly be advised by its lawyers to print a correction and an apology.

I have seen no reference to any advice the BBC's lawyers may have given, in any of the material released thus far to the Hutton Inquiry. Instead we see the minutes of meetings with the BBC Board of Governors, in which doubts about the soundness of the Gilligan story are buried under an avalanche of rather puerile defiance of "government pressure".

The chairman of the governors, Gavyn Davies, seems to have interpreted the furious demands by Mr Campbell on behalf of the Government for an explicit correction as illicit political pressure that threatened to compromise the BBC's independence.

In an email to the members of the board, he writes: "I remain firmly of the view that, in a big picture sense, it is absolutely critical for the BBC to emerge from this row without being seen to buckle in the face of government pressure."

This was in spite of the fact that the Today programme had itself decided to change the substance of that early contentious report. Indeed, the question of the truth of the Gilligan story seems to fall right out of the picture in this round of mud-wrestling with the Government.

One BBC governor, Fabian Monds, rises to Mr Davies's call to arms with the extraordinary statement that any doubts about the Gilligan account should be deliberately overlooked: "There does appear to be some uncertainty of the claim by Andrew Gillgan's source. But this is less important than responding vigorously to the extravagant accusations of lying from Alastair Campbell and others." (My italics.)

The truth of the story is "less important" than that the BBC should be seen to stand up to government pressure? What kind of journalistic standards are these?

And government pressure to do what? Simply to admit what you have already done - which is to say, change the story as it went out on later broadcast reports. And, given the gravity of the charge, were Mr Campbell's accusations against the BBC "extravagant"?

Did the governors - while they played out their power game with Downing Street - have any conception of the gravity of what the corporation had done?

It would seem not. Mr Davies, in his testimony to Hutton, wondered why Mr Campbell had not simply taken his dissatisfaction to the BBC complaints unit. (Presumably he should have rung the duty officer at White City and filed his complaint in the usual way.)

The arrogance - not to say, the amateurishness - of it all is simply breathtaking.

3 September 2003[News]: Kelly 'driven to suicide by the public disgrace'

Previous story: War against terror is being fought  and won  in Iraq
Next story: Indonesia's risky leniency

Kelly 'driven to suicide by the public disgrace'

© Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2003. Terms & Conditions of reading.
Commercial information. Privacy Policy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,957 • Replies: 46
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:46 am
Too bad the U.S. media doesn't do the same sort of analysis on the development and validity of news stories it runs with.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:43 pm
Indeed. The BBC has and maintains an impeccable reputation.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 04:06 pm
No.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 05:31 pm
I think the process they are going through is excellent. It would serve many U.S. media organizations well to look at themselves as carefully. Instead, they do focus groups on anchors' names and hair. Disgusting.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 05:41 pm
Uh...no. No, it hasn't.

How about with you, massagattos?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 08:20 pm
I find it reliable. What is there to compare it with in this country? Suggestions?

Eh Beth makes a good point!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 08:28 pm
You can compare it to CBC news, if it has to be television news. The London Times if we can include internet news. PBS radio news for homegrown.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 08:46 pm
Well, I thought of the CBC and NPR, but neither quite compares to the BBC (referring not just to its world service and website, but its home broadcasting). CBC would be the closest. I like the latter and have listened to it online now and then. The BBC, if you live in Britain, becomes quite addictive -- or did in my day! (I'm talking about radio, really, not having TV anymore. I see what you mean when I remember the McNeil-Lehrer show, but BBC TV news shows had more zip, more points of view.)
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 09:01 pm
Andrew Gilligan committed a journalistic crime by sensationalizing and embellishing an interview which ultimately caused the suicide of Dr. Kelly, Gavyn Davies the Chairman of the BBC board of governors, forged ahead with the charade apparently hoping to cause the resignation of a damn good PM and you people don't see anything wrong?

I'll say one thing, you all are certainly consistent in your wrongheadedness. My God , what hope is there?

On top of that the brass at BBC just manage to scrape through with a 4.2 Billion pound budget (roughly $ 6.5 BILLION dollars) of British taxpayer money and then they want to assume the roll of the political opposition. Add to that the fact that they have a monopoly on TV news makes them too powerful IMO.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 09:07 pm
perception wrote:
I'll say one thing, you all are certainly consistent in your wrongheadedness. My God , what hope is there?

None (for you).

You should give up and go away.

I hear there's an opening at FreeRepublic.com with your name on it.

Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 09:14 pm
Actually, you would be quite happy at the Baltimore Sun website (www.sunspot.net) where ad hominem attacks are the game of the day. Say hello to Sgt Tankgunner (who, in other incarnations has been banned for threatening to track down and kill posters he deemed "anti-american") and Airman (also threatened posters, via his (former) position as a police officer (or, as they say in Bawl'mer, a POH-leese)). I left that one and came here when I found a place where the viriol is at a minimum, rather than the rule. Toodles! Smile
Re the Beeb: I love their "Five Live" netcasts, and their Jazz programs.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 09:18 pm
The Daily Telegraph is just one of the members of the media empire (Rupert Murdoch is another) which would like to put the public-owned BBC out of business. One shouldn't turn to enemies of the BBC for ammunition -- not if one wants an honest assessment. (But one doesn't, does one, Perc!)
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 09:20 pm
Murdoch himself is fascinating. In many ways he is the prototype American or Australian (which he is) self made man. And going from page-3 girls to a Communications empire is at least worth a chagrined amount of admiration.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 09:29 pm
PDid

You're feeling very brave with all your budds here.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 09:37 pm
perception wrote:
PDid

You're feeling very brave with all your budds here.

Are you physically threatening another poster? Shocked
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 09:38 pm
Tart wrote:

The Daily Telegraph is just one of the members of the media empire (Rupert Murdoch is another) which would like to put the public-owned BBC out of business. One shouldn't turn to enemies of the BBC for ammunition -- not if one wants an honest assessment. (But one doesn't, does one, Perc!)

LOL----My sources are dogs and yours are impeccable
UH--HUH Rolling Eyes

"If one wants an honest assessment" Honest? From any of you----now that challenges the imagination.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 09:41 pm
Must be past one senior citizen's bedtime. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:41 pm
Well, PD has buds.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 05:00 am
God you're tedious, Perception . . . why don't you spend about 20 or 30 years reading, learning rhetorical technique, and learning how to judge the value of a source--then it might be interesting to debate you. Over the last month, all you've offered is contentious clap-trap, and then you wanna start play-ground arguments with those who show up. What a waste of time you've become--and i actually used to think you couldn't get any worse.
0 Replies