Is He in "Depp" S**t?

Letty

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:52 am
Johnny Depp deprecates U.S. Hmmmmm. Do you agree with him?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030903/ap_on_en_mo/germany_depp_3
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,369 • Replies: 60
No top replies

husker

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:59 am
Go figure - he's living in France - now that aint gunna influence a thing he says? Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:01 am
Love it. It's actually a rather soft version of the general world view of the U.S.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:03 am
OUCH

Quote:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:05 am
Hey, Husker. You're quite right, but he did make a big hit in his movie based on a Disney attraction. Was "Pirates of the Caribbean" a dumb puppy with big teeth? Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:09 am
Movie stars can weather unpopularity better than can other stars who have to perform more regularly.

I doubt it will increase his popularity despite his words being what pretty much the whole world wants to hear. After all, even people who hate our militaristic politics don't usually hate our culture.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:21 am
Well, he did a lot of acid before settling down, but at least he can pronounce 'ketchup' unlike the other anti-American whose entire life and career was forged in Hollywood, Kate Hudson. Don't get me started on Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon....it's all fine and dandy when you live in a completely unreal world, one that most are not privy to, to say whatever the hell you want, perhaps the stars have earned that, but it all sounds like biting the hand that made you, IMO, and I'm not even American.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:21 am
Hey ehBeth and Craven. Yep, Depp never has been one to mince words and I'm afraid that GWB has given him a jaundiced view of America. Won't stop him from doing Hollywood, however. Ain't that always the way? Shocked
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:23 am
Why should it? It's not a hand "feeding" him. He works and earns his money and feeds himself.

Incidentally, no, I do not agree with him. There is nothing stupid about what the U.S. is and has been doing. It's intentional, calculating and deliberate.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:25 am
He could have made a bigger statement without bringing up the Freedom Fries. There are a LOT more important issues. At least dumb puppies don't usually bite the hand that feeds them.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:25 am
The other question I have is who actually believes that actors are qualified to comment on anything besides how they got into their character, and how tough sitting for makeup is? Puuhleeze....the media should just stop asking them political questions already.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:27 am
cav,

And cooks are allowed to comment on the media? That's a common thing maliagar tries to do: make a fallacious appeal to authority.

You need to substantiate it. Why is his opinion invalid?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:28 am
Craven, come on...would he eat so well without Hollywood? Doesn't he come across as a 'tad' hypocrytical? Yer playin' with words, but if he felt so strongly anti-American, he would refuse all contract offers from Hollywood and stick to doing obscure European art films that nobody sees.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:31 am
Okay Yoda...bottom line: I can't say that anyone's 'opinion' is invalid, as it is just an opinion. It is just irksome to listen too, like a squeaky door.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:32 am
Cav and Piffka, I hate this "peace" that we have lost in Iraq. But more than that, I am truly worried about our free election process. Wonder if Johnny Depp votes?

I agree with you, Craven--calculated.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:37 am
In Berlin [the above mentioned interview was done by a German magazine as well] promoting his latest movie 'Hollywood Homicide', Hollywood hero Harrison Ford said that he was glad, being now in a country, where politicans are politicans and actors actors.

He repeated there, what he already said in Madrid on Wednesday, last week:
"I am very disturbed about the direction American foreign policy is going," Ford said in Madrid. "Something needs to be done to help alleviate the conditions which have created a disenfranchised and angry faction in the Middle East. I don't think that military intervention is the correct solution. I regret what we as a country have done so far."
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:45 am
cavfancier wrote:
Craven, come on...would he eat so well without Hollywood? Doesn't he come across as a 'tad' hypocrytical? Yer playin' with words, but if he felt so strongly anti-American, he would refuse all contract offers from Hollywood and stick to doing obscure European art films that nobody sees.

I don't think it is, at all, hypocrytical. Hollywood is stupid, but his qualm is not with Hollywood. It's with certain political actions by the U.S. government.

cav, there are things about the world you don't like right? Isn't it hypocytical for you to still be here? :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:48 am
<cav quietly shoots himself> Laughing

Harrison Ford seems upset with U.S. politics as well, but he puts it in a much more coherent way, and doesn't come across as smug. He comes off as someone who has actually looked into the issues, unlike Depp and Kate Hudson.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:49 am
Incidentally, cav, I almost always cringe when a movie star talks politics.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:49 am
Walter, thanks for that info. Quite frankly, I believe that only Congress should declare war as the Constitution of the United States has clearly outlined it. The Executive branch of our government has entirely too much power and has had ever since Korea.
0 Replies