Does this work as well?

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 12:26 pm
Everbody heard her shouting at the students.

The usual passive equivalent of this is " She was heard shouting at her students." if I m not wrong.

But what about this one " Her shouting at the students was heard by everybody." ?

Although I do not see anything wrong grammatically, as the structure itself has a special use in its active form, I just want to be sure.

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 634 • Replies: 2
No top replies

solipsister

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 07:17 pm
Re: Does this work as well?
pumpjockey wrote:
Everbody heard her shouting at the students.

The usual passive equivalent of this is " She was heard shouting at her students." if I m not wrong.

But what about this one " Her shouting at the students was heard by everybody." ?

Although I do not see anything wrong grammatically, as the structure itself has a special use in its active form, I just want to be sure.

Thanks in advance.

I believe it's your shout
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 11:05 pm
Re: Does this work as well?
pumpjockey wrote:

Actually, I'd say that the second sentence is the more usual passive equivalent. To put a sentence into the passive voice, you turn the subject into the object and the object into the subject. That's what the second sentence does, since it retains the syntax of the subjects and objects: "X heard Y" becomes "Y was heard by X." The first sentence you proposed has a subject ("she") that was not syntactically part of the original sentence, and so it is not a true passive rewriting of the original sentence.
0 Replies