Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 07:15 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,316 • Replies: 44
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 07:36 am
Not sure what your point is, Perception? You seem to be saying that obsessed hatred is ugly - which most people might agree with. You point out that a lot of such hatred is currently aimed at Bush - with the degree of exaggeration perceived, I guess, being in line with one's personal attitude to Bush - and that there was/is also a lot of such nonsense aimed at Clinton. The only point of difference I can see is that you believe the press was more condemning of the anti-Clinton lunatic fringe, and that more mainstream outlets, such as Vanity Fair, are inclined to feature the anti-Bush stuff, which I suppose would be moot.

This last might be explained by the fact that the current administration has prosecuted a controversial war.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 08:10 am
But surely no-one actually likes Bush?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 08:25 am
Are sitting presidents immune from criticism? Should people not feel outraged at the things this man and his administration have done to the economy, the national security,and civil rights?
On the plus side,at least you attributed the source of your article, and it isn't from:
A Nazi newspaper
Faux
An unattributable "email."
Your own imagination.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 08:42 am
Any adjective being thrown at Bush is richly deserved. He is he most distructive force that this nation has ever faced.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 09:02 am
Bush is not a nazi, but he is head of an American administration which seems to display that same arrogance and contempt for the rest of the world as did the nazis.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 09:52 am
Re: Bush haters are Real and Ugly----Real Ugly
A column such as this really can't be understood without the aid of a good English-Conservative bilingual dictionary. In that regard, I would like to offer a translation of key parts of York's article.

Byron York wrote:
Do you think George W. Bush is a Nazi? That his family and close advisers are Nazis, too? If so, then you'll feel right at home in the growing ranks of hard-core Bush haters.

Translation: "If you think that, what the hell are you doing reading the National Review?"

Byron York wrote:
Go to the left-wing website Counterpunch.org and you'll find this: "It's going a bit far to compare the Bush of 2003 to the Hitler of 1933," writes a man named Dave Lindorff (who has written for The Nation and Salon and has appeared on National Public Radio).

Translation: "I did a Google search for the terms 'bush nazi hitler' and I culled out all the sites that I couldn't readily identify as 'left-wing,' then I chose only the most irresponsible and inflammatory articles so that I could convince my readers that all liberals are fanatics."

Byron York wrote:
Then go to Fearbush.com, where you can download images of Bush in front of a giant swastika.

Translation: "Ooooh, my readers are just gonna' love this one. I'll just omit to mention that this site has about as much credibility as www.clintonisapederast.com."

Byron York wrote:
Does that seem like fringe stuff? Well, first remember that Counterpunch.org boasts 60,000 visitors a month. Takebackthemedia.com attracted some mainstream attention in coverage of the antiwar movement.

Translation: "There, I just proved with meaningless statistics and anecdotal evidence that these are not 'fringe' elements of the left."

Byron York wrote:
And then check out a slightly bigger publication: Vanity Fair.

Page 146 of the September issue of the magazine features a letter from a reader who noticed something interesting about a photograph of Bush administration military adviser Richard Perle in a previous issue.

Translation: "I accuse you, Vanity Fair, of running a letter to the editor! You commie pinko bastards!"

Byron York wrote:
The interesting thing is not that some people have such thoughts. The interesting thing is that the editors of Vanity Fair found the argument so compelling that they printed the letter in a special box with the Perle and Goebbels photos side by side.

Translation: "Hmmmm, interesting. I smell a vast left-wing conspiracy afoot. Quickly, to the air-raid shelters!"

Byron York wrote:
At Bushbodycount.com you'll also learn about something known on the Internet as the BFEE, or Bush Family Evil Empire. The bottom line: These Bushes are very, very bad people.

Translation: "I gotta' find something that is the equivalent of the right-wing hysteria over Vince Foster and the 'Arkansas Mafia.' C'mon Google, do you stuff -- Bingo!"

Byron York wrote:
Stop by Presidentmoron.com. And Bushisamoron.com. And Toostupidtobepresident.com. You'll get the idea.

Translation. "Hey, a guy can get at least something right."

Byron York wrote:
All that might seem not worth taking seriously were it not for the fact that similar stuff was taken quite seriously during the Clinton years.

Translation: "Yes, publications such as the National Review took this kind of nonsense seriously. Does that reflect on the seriousness of the charges or the credulity of the magazine?"

Byron York wrote:
During those years, scurrilous stories about Bill Clinton were widely condemned in the press.

Translation: "Well, maybe not the press to which the National Review's readers subscribed, but I'm sure some media outlets actually condemned them. I just can't be bothered with tracking them down."

Byron York wrote:
The Clinton White House did its part to help.

Translation: "Somehow, some way, the Clintons must be responsible for all of this. And after I finish this column, I'm going to find out how the Clintons are responsible for that asteroid that might be headed directly for the Earth."

Byron York wrote:
At the time, the Clinton White House sought to stigmatize the opposition by branding anyone who opposed the first lady's healthcare plan or who thought Whitewater was a legitimate inquiry as Clinton haters.

Translation: "The more outrageous the lie, the more people will actually believe what I'm saying."

Byron York wrote:
They weren't, just as now, people who simply dislike the president's tax cut or don't approve of the war in Iraq are not Bush haters.

Translation: "Let me throw out a sop to the muddle-headed liberals to make them think that I might be trying to be fair here."

Byron York wrote:

Translation: "Brilliant! I was able to connect the vast left-wing conspiracy with the pervasive liberal bias in the media. I'm a genius!"

Byron York wrote:
But pay attention to what you see and read at Counterpunch.org, Bushbodycount.com, Presidentmoron.com and Vanity Fair.

Translation: "Because if you don't, it's unlikely that anyone else will."

Byron York wrote:
An election is coming up. Things will undoubtedly get rough. And you'll be seeing more and more of the Bush haters.

Translation: "Which will give us the moral authority to continue our wildly irresponsible attacks on the Clintons. God how I miss them so!"
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:21 am
Joe

That was one of the funniest, most clever, most intelligent posts I've ever read in any forum.

I thank you for it.

In fact, I thank you for it again.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:44 am
Joe

And I thank you----that was brilliant------Howard Dean should immediately hire you as his director of "spin"
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:52 am
I don't hate Bush, but I'm starting to appreciate the position of those who do.

Nice work, Joe. That Vanity Fair thing was too funny.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:53 am
Bush is, as has already been pointed out, the single most destructive force in American history. I don't have to hate him to realize this. I just want him and his buddies out of there.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:37 am
chicagojoe, I also add my thank you. Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:45 am
Joe, indeed, that is a great translation!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:34 pm
The troubling trend has been to identify one's loyalty with a particular individual (Bush) rather than with a nation. When one's loyalty is to an individual, one runs the risk of assisting in totalitarianism. Consider the government of Egypt, where uttering the simple phrase "I dislike the president" can land one in jail. Presidents are replaced every four-eight years, by design, in order to avoid the establishment of too much power in the hands of one person. Now consider some of the things that have dropped from the lips of Bush and his minions:
"You are either with us or you are a terrorist."
"I accept responsibilty...I accept responsibility for war and peace. Me...it is my responsibility." (Strange, I had always thought that congress had the power to declare war.)
"People who say there aren't any WMD were wrong, we found 'em, we found chemical weapons." (To the Polish press regarding the soooo not WMD trailers)
"God told me to attack Afghanistan, so I did. He told me to take out Saddam, so I did. Now he has told me to make peace in the Midle East, and you'd better get on board, or be left behind." (to Ha'aretz)
"Do I listen to public opinion? Listen, If I payed attention to public opinion I would never get anything done. I'm the president, I decide what is right and what is wrong for the free world." (On 60 Minutes)
"People who criticize this administration should be careful what they say, or they may find themselves in a difficult position sometime down the road." (Ari Fleischer)
"Criticizing the President is giving aid and comfort to our enemes." (John Ashcroft)
"Americans enjoy too many freedoms at the moment, most of which are not healthy for them."(John Ashcroft again)
" The prisoners at Guantanamo bay will get whatever rights we feel they deserve, if any." (Donald Rumsfeld, when asked about allegations of Geneva Convention violations at Gitmo.)

In addition, the efforts of this administration to avoid releasing information about the VP's energy policy meetings, the obstruction of the 11th September investigation, the censoring of the prelimnary report on 11th September, the efforts to repeal affirmative action (in the form of a friend of the court brief fiiled last year) are all typical of the actions taken by regimes that wish to enact totalitarian revolutions. As I have said before, I would not be surprised if a "crisis" doesn't occur in November 2004 and elections are cancelled indefinitely.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:37 pm
hobit, Maybe that's what is needed to wake up the American People from their slumber.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:48 pm
Presidential elections have never been cancelled during peace or war. and they will not be cancelled in 04. Hobitbob I think you are getting carried away.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:51 pm
I hope so. I also lived through the Coup in Pakistan in 1977, so I know a bit of what I speak.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:54 pm
How can you possibly equate Pakistan with the US.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:58 pm
I don't "equate" Pakistan with the US, I simply don't see things like martial law as the impossibilities that many other Americans do. Just as the major shock I felt over 11th September was not "why us, how dare "they," " but "hmmm..well, its finally happened...wonder what took so long?"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:00 pm
Joe's profile says he's an enthusiast in training. I think he's already been well trained in creative writing. And to top it off, it's all right on the money.
0 Replies