U.S. Cites Fears on Chemical In Plastics

au1929

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 02:42 pm

By Lyndsey Layton
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, April 16, 2008; Page A01

A federal health agency acknowledged for the first time yesterday concerns that a chemical found in thousands of everyday products such as baby bottles and compact discs may cause cancer and other serious disorders.

This Story
How To Limit Your BPA Exposure
Bisphenol A
The draft report by the National Toxicology Program signaled a turning point in the government's position on bisphenol A, or BPA, a chemical so ubiquitous in the United States that it has been detected in the urine of 93 percent of the population over 6 years of age.

Last year, another expert panel using outside scientists minimized the health risks of BPA, but its findings were widely assailed after a congressional investigation found that a firm hired to perform scientific analysis was also working for the chemical industry.

Used in the production of plastic since the 1950s, BPA may be linked in laboratory animals to breast cancer, prostate cancer, early puberty in females and behavioral changes, according to the study released yesterday. It called for more research into the chemical's health effects.

Although the National Toxicology Program, an office of the National Institutes of Health, has no power to regulate BPA, its findings are used by other federal agencies such as the Food and Drug Administration and the Environmental Protection Agency, which set safe exposure limits for chemicals.

"What we've got is a warning, a signal, of some concerns," said Mike Shelby, director of the Center for the Evaluation of Risks to Human Reproduction, who oversaw the report. "We could not dismiss the possibility that similar or related effects might occur in humans."

Public health advocates said the report should spur the government to ban BPA, at least in baby products. Formula-fed infants are most vulnerable to the chemical, since it is found in baby bottles as well as in the linings of cans of powdered and liquid formula. "They get a double exposure," said Anila Jacob, a senior scientist at the nonprofit Environmental Working Group.

But Steven G. Hentges, executive director of the polycarbonate/BPA global group at the American Chemistry Council, said the new report does not mean BPA is unsafe.

"It found no serious or high-level concerns for human health," he said. "More research is always considered valuable."

The toxicology panel used a five-level rating system, ranging from serious concern to negligible concern. It labeled the possible cancer risk of BPA as "some concern," in the middle of the scale. There was not enough scientific evidence to rank it as a "concern" or a "serious concern," Shelby said.

Asked in an interview whether exposure to BPA can be eliminated, Shelby paused. "It's everywhere," he said. "It's not clear that we know what all the sources of BPA exposure are. The vast majority of exposure is through food and drink -- cans and bottles. But there could be trace amounts in water, dust. Your cellphone is probably made out of it."

Since BPA is most readily absorbed through food and drink containers, health advocates have been particularly focused on how the Food and Drug Administration is regulating the chemical. An FDA spokesman declined to comment on the new report, saying the agency has not had a chance to review it.

The FDA has been under fire from the House Energy and Commerce Committee, which has been investigating the influence of the chemical industry on the agency's regulation of BPA in plastic liners in metal cans of baby formula.

Last month, in response to questions from lawmakers, the FDA said it had disregarded hundreds of government and academic studies about the cancer risks of BPA and used just two studies funded by the chemical industry to determine that the chemical is safe.

Yesterday's report should spur the FDA to reconsider its decisions regarding BPA, said Reps. John D. Dingell (D-Mich.), the Energy and Commerce chairman, and Bart Stupak (D-Mich.), chairman of the panel's oversight and investigations subcommittee.

"These assessments fly in the face of the FDA's determination that BPA is safe," Dingell said through a spokesman. "I hope the FDA is willing to reconsider their position on BPA for the safety of our infants and children."

Rep. Henry A. Waxman (D-Calif.), chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, said, referring to the National Toxicology Program: "It appears that NTP has really listened to the concerns of scientists in this field. This is an important public health issue, and we can't afford to get it wrong."

Concern about BPA has been growing for years, and the chemistry council's Web site has pages devoted to responding to "scare stories" about the chemical. "The weight of scientific evidence clearly supports the safety of BPA and provides strong reassurance that there is no basis for human health concerns from exposure to BPA," one page says.

A number of states, including California and New Jersey, are considering bans on BPA. Others, such as Maine, may require manufacturers to place warning labels on products containing it.

The worries have been a boon for a two-year-old company, Born Free, that manufactures BPA-free baby bottles and sippy cups. The company can't turn out bottles fast enough, and demand intensifies with new scientific studies.

"Every time there is a publication, after a few days, we're out of stock," said Gil Lemel, the company's chief executive. "Every time we think we are better prepared, it never is enough. We make 80,000 bottles a day, and we have no inventory."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,771 • Replies: 19
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 02:54 pm
Thats why many men are growing boobies.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 03:07 pm
Could it possibly be the reason that Autism is advancing to almost epidemic levels?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 03:13 pm
This is something I've been thinking about since the late 80s. I new about phyto-estrogens int he water then. The sources I'd heard about then were birth control pills (via urine and trash into water) and polyblahblah (PCV) piping (leaching into waste water). Now I have come to know that the polycarbon based (PC) plastics are all over the place - Nagalene water bottles, food packaging, patio furniture, plastic plates .......
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 03:18 pm
Safest bet is to not microwave or reheat food in plastic containers (or with saran wrap touching the food). And reconsider the nagalene water bottles.

Quote:
If you've been concerned, here is a handy chart that identifies the good, bad, and OK plastics and where they are found. Find out here:

1 Polyethylene terephthalate (PET or PETE)
Used to make soft drink, water, sports drink, ketchup, and salad dressing bottles, and peanut butter, pickle, jelly and jam jars.
GOOD: Not known to leach any chemicals that are suspected of causing cancer or disrupting hormones.

2 High density polyethylene (HDPE)
Milk, water, and juice bottles, yogurt and margarine tubs, cereal box liners, and grocery, trash, and retail bags.
GOOD: Not known to leach any chemicals that are suspected of causing cancer or disrupting hormones.

3 Polyvinyl chloride (V or PVC)
Most cling-wrapped meats, cheeses, and other foods sold in delicatessens and groceries are wrapped in PVC.
BAD: To soften into its flexible form, manufacturers add "plasticizers" during production. Traces of these chemicals can leach out of PVC when in contact with foods. According to the National Institutes of Health, di-2-ethylhexyl phthalate (DEHP), commonly found in PVC, is a suspected human carcinogen.

4 Low-density polyethylene (LDPE)
Some bread and frozen food bags and squeezable bottles.
OK: Not known to leach any chemicals that are suspected of causing cancer or disrupting hormones, but not as widely recycled as #1 or #2.

5 Polypropylene (PP)
Some ketchup bottles and yogurt and margarine tubs.
OK: Hazardous during production, but not known to leach any chemicals that are suspected of causing cancer or disrupting hormones. Not as widely recycled as #1 and #2.

6 Polystyrene (PS)
Foam insulation and also for hard applications (e.g. cups, some toys)
BAD: Benzene (material used in production) is a known human carcinogen. Butadiene and styrene (the basic building block of the plastic) are suspected carcinogens. Energy intensive and poor recycling.

7 Other (usually polycarbonate)
Baby bottles, microwave ovenware, eating utensils, plastic coating for metal cans
BAD: Made with biphenyl-A, a chemical invented in the 1930s in search for synthetic estrogens. A hormone disruptor. Simulates the action of estrogen when tested in human breast cancer studies. Can leach into food as product ages.

Care2
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 03:34 pm
One more point and I'll shush up for a while. I have lived with several masters students studying at the Harvard School of Health. I engage them in this sort of conversation once in a while. My current HM#3 and I have had this exact conversation within the last few months.

Workers/leaders in the arena of public health don't like to get the public's panties bunched up on stuff like this. Yes, there are chemicals in our water (and food). Yes, problems are found in rats being tested with high doses of certain chemicals found in our water. BUT, we don't yet know what effect these small amounts have on human health. So, they might advocate more testing within the scientific community on effects while not really pursuing a witch hunt for bad plastics. Not agreeing with it, just saying.....

Oh, and to amend my last post - avoiding baby bottles with bad plastics is numero uno, imo. Falls under heating food in the bad stuff.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 04:04 pm
LIL K. Id be most concerned about PVC because it is a polymer made of strung together Vinyl Chloride molecules and vinyl chloride IS A LKNOWN carcinogen,
Pthalates cannot be avoided in just about anything. It is one of the key "plasticizer" compounds and its what makes plastics bendable. Pthalates are recognized as the odor you smell in a new car. They used to sell one of the pthalate compounds in a spray can so you could give an opld car that new car smell.
One of the most ubiquitous estrogen mimics is good ole dishwasher detergents with the specific detergent compounds.

Course I wont worry cause im 58 and not gonna have any new kids. I tell the farmerkids about not drinking that goddam sports water or nuking things in nalgene or "puffed" PVC containers.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 04:20 pm
Do you know the compound in the dish washing detergent?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 04:50 pm
its the Benzyl alkyl sulfonates or the sodium lauryl sulfates, typical "grease buisters"
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 05:05 pm
au1929 wrote:
Could it possibly be the reason that Autism is advancing to almost epidemic levels?

No. Simply because austism isn't advancing anywhere.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 05:51 pm
fishin wrote:
au1929 wrote:

To begin with it's autism not austism.
Regarding the rising rate of occurence. If you care to with a bit of reseach you can verify the truth of my statement. It is increasing at an alarming rate.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 05:54 pm
au1929 wrote:
fishin wrote:
au1929 wrote:

To begin with it's autism not austism.
Regarding the rising rate of occurence. If you care to with a bit of reseach you can verify the truth of my statement. It is increasing at an alarming rate.

There is plenty of research indicating that there is no epidemic. For example:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1576829,00.html
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=is-there-really-an-autism-epidemic
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 06:17 pm
LIL K. Maybe the terms were gibberish. Heres an article from Wikipedia re SURFACTANTS (the active ingredient as wetting agent in detergents).
The estrogen mimics are the anionic forms. These were showing up in Chesapeake bay waters in the early 60s and many fish had been seen with lesions and large increases in numbers of females.SURFACTANTS
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 06:31 pm
farmerman wrote:

I think that has to do with the hormones in beef and milk products.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 06:36 pm
Fishin, I'll go check out the links. Teachers are lead to believe that while more cases of autism are being diagnosed due expanded definitions and better diagnostic techniques, this still doesn't account for the over-all rise in occurrence.

Farmer, I think SLS is a bad guy for other reasons. But none major. I'll check out the surfectants, thanks!

Green Witch wrote:
farmerman wrote:

I think that has to do with the hormones in beef and milk products.

I think it's a combination.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 06:54 pm
littlek wrote:
Fishin, I'll go check out the links. Teachers are lead to believe that while more cases of autism are being diagnosed due expanded definitions and better diagnostic techniques, this still doesn't account for the over-all rise in occurrence.

I suspect that the folks that inform teachers are a part of the education establishment themselves (professional workshops, continuing ed courses, etc..). They may be basing their views on the "administrative-based estimates" mentioned in the 2nd linked article above (since those numbers come from the school systems). The article explains why they often lead to incorrect conclusions.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 07:00 pm
re autism . This was in todays NYT Health SectionAUTISM ARTICLE
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 07:05 pm
fishin wrote:
littlek wrote:

I suspect that the folks that inform teachers are a part of the education establishment themselves (professional workshops, continuing ed courses, etc..). They may be basing their views on the "administrative-based estimates" mentioned in the 2nd linked article above (since those numbers come from the school systems). The article explains why they often lead to incorrect conclusions.

Generally they cite research. Of course, research can be skewed.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 07:53 pm
littlek wrote:
fishin wrote:
littlek wrote:

Generally they cite research. Of course, research can be skewed.

I didn't mean to imply that they were just making it up. I'm sure they have research behind what they are saying. It just seems to me that the Educational community is probably more likely than others to do their research using data that comes from schools.

The Economist ran an article on another study in this month's issue:
http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11014498&fsrc=RSS
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 08:17 pm
I remember a thread about plastic plastic containers a few years back. That thread made me change some things.
Since then, I have never heated anything in the microwave in a plastic container and as I continue to add to my glass collection, my plastic containers are slowly leaving the house.
Whenever possible, I buy in glass jars and bottles, but the plastic is everywhere, so it's just impossible to avoid it.
0 Replies