Citizenship classes

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 06:11 am
The UK is proposing to introduce citizenship classes for those applying for to become British Citizens. Does America, Canada and Aus have a similar requirement ? If so does it work.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3202901.stm

KEY POINTS FOR CITIZENSHIP
able to speak English, Welsh or Gaelic
know how to acquire necessities like electricity
understand how democracy and Parliament works
knowledge of etiquette and sexual equality
understanding British institutions like the monarchy and elections
British history since 1945
applicants must have lived in the UK for five years or three years if married to a Briton
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,541 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 06:15 am
Applicants for U.S. Citizenship must pass an examination--i'm not sure of the details, but i could go find a link. I think this is a reasonable requirement--although i am somewhat amused by the requirement for etiquette. Far too many Americans would not qualify on that basis. I'll go see if i can find a link about this, Boss.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 06:18 am
Here ya go, Boss:

Citizenship Requirements in the U.S.[/color]

(Please ignore the advertising, and wait for the page to load. Seems George II has wasted so much money on his foreign ventures, government sites now feel obliged to sell ad space.)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 07:39 am
I misread that at first as "able to speak English, Welsh AND Gaelic."

Was thinking.... man, they don't want ANYBODY!

I had a friend who became a citizen a couple of years ago. Even though she'd been married (and widowed) to a citizen, it was harder than you'd think. She had an attorney to advise her, had to pass a test on the arcana of government (minimum age of president, senator, etc.) and they were fussy about her keeping her British passport (I don't remember how that turned out). It took about a year from application to her final swearing-in. She told me she was the only Brit in the entire roomful of new citizens.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 07:41 am
I think its a good thing that people coming here to live and work - permamently - besides learning how to spell, inter alia, should er...well give allegiance to the local football team at least.

British Citizen naturalisation test (2003 Immigration Act Part 1 Paper 1) Answer on BOTH sides of the paper.

1. Are you foreign?
2. Do you put the milk in before the tea or the other way round?
3. Who scored the greatest number of runs for England against Australia in 1948?
4. Describe your mode of entry into the UK in no more than 10 words.
5. What is the official name of the DHSS?
6. Who is the current head of state of the UK and do you think her daughter in law was murdered in a plot by MI5?
7. Got anywhere to live?
8. Got any money?
9. Do you promise to work hard, pay tax, live quietly, and vote Labour?

Candidates answering in the negative to questions 7 8 or 9 may now depart these shores, never to return.

10. Do you find it ironic that immigrants to Britain should be tested on their suitability for citizenship whereas persons born in Britain are merely subjects of Her Majesty the Queen?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 07:44 am
Long time, no see, Steve. Welcome back.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 07:49 am
Hi Roger (and everyone)

thanks.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 08:14 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
1. Are you foreign?

Very Happy Very!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 09:40 am
I ain't foreign . . . an' i ain't agin it neither . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 01:43 pm
I like Steve's test very much (trying hard on it), but this is (a pojected) part of the official one:"Britishness test"
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:15 pm
Well I got 8/10 on the BBC test

(didnt know Queen's birthday, thought So Solid Crew were American)

And I got 10/10 on the Steve41oo test

I therefore qualify for full citizen and resident status throughout the Empire including bits of iraq, but I wouldn't want to live there at the moment.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:20 pm
Setanta,

Everybody is foreign at first.

Walter, I have been afraid to check my emails lately (2000+? offers of penis enlargement etc) so no doubt owe you some replies - -
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:25 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

Walter, I have been afraid to check my emails lately (2000+? offers of penis enlargement etc) so no doubt owe you some replies - -

To make it clear: not all are from me! (definately not the penis enlargement)
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:29 pm
Y'know I'll be old and grey before that page loads ... I'm going to go for my U.S. citizenship but I don't want to give up my Irish passport.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:32 pm
Well, we don't appear to have any such thing in Oz (as far as I know!)

You don't have to speak the language to become a citizen! A friend's mother has recently become an Oz citizen, and she not only can't speak Strine, English, or any aboriginal language, she can't even say my name correctly. There are NO standards! Laughing

Mind you - we still have to swear allegiance to some bloody foreign queen (whose daughter in law was killed by MI5!), so - no wonder!

When Oz becomes a republic, things'll be different, goodness gracious me, yes!

Getting permanent residency here is more difficult, though.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:35 pm
Quite right Walter, they were not all from you, in fact none were. SO WHO SENT THEM? And more importantly, WHY?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:37 pm
We could dicuss that better privately, Steve!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:42 pm
I think anyone should be allowed to adopt citizenship of any country so long as they stay out.

This week I will be mainly Swedish and Peruvian.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 03:33 pm
Sweruvian
or Perudish
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 04:00 pm
the thing is if wales & scotland get total independance, will brits be able to claim multiple citizenship, that is have a number of different passports. I could clain scots and/or english citizenship. but I can never understand what scots are saying
0 Replies