IMO

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 02:51 pm
more white guilt and seeing racism behind every tree bullshit....

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080415/NEWS0103/804150376/1077/COL02
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,211 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:01 pm
And the beat goes on
Read that comment..and my thought is that it was an unfortunate remark and (not knowing the person or his mindset), I'll be willing to bet probably wasn't racist.

However, IMHO, race relations are about to be set back 30 years by the end of this Presidential campaign 'cause every sentence that remotely could be interpreted as slight will be examined to death by the sensationalistic press and overly ambitious Obama campaigners. The actions or fight against "Real Racist" actions will be lost in the shuffle of witchhunting.

And the beat goes on.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:03 pm
sensible response.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:08 pm
Agreed
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:29 pm
Has the Obama campaign actually commented on this at all?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:40 pm
no one dares make a remark of any kind regarding obama negatively for fear of being labeled a racist just as no one dared speak against bush and his war for fear of being unpatriotic.... the paralells between bush and Obama are stunning....government by hysterics...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:41 pm
I think you might be exaggerating a tad. Again, did the Obama campaign actually say anything about this?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:44 pm
I haven't found anything, but did come across this:

Quote:
Obama disagreed and said it was not about race, but chalked it up to politics. "I don't think there are racial overtones going on to the attacks right now. I think it's politics. This is what we do politically, when we start getting behind in races, then we start going on the attack."

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/04/15/893729.aspx
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:45 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I think you might be exaggerating a tad. Again, did the Obama campaign actually say anything about this?

think as you like, as is your right. (((HUG))))
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:47 pm
Aw Bear, you're being sweet... or you're trying to feel me up. :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:48 pm
This response from Obama's campaign in BPB's article:

Quote:
"It's hard to tell what is more outrageous, Rep. Davis' condescending and personal attack, or his absurd and offensive claim that Barack Obama is not prepared to defend America," Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton said in a statement.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:48 pm
or both... :wink:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:49 pm
sozobe wrote:
This response from Obama's campaign in BPB's article:

Quote:
"It's hard to tell what is more outrageous, Rep. Davis' condescending and personal attack, or his absurd and offensive claim that Barack Obama is not prepared to defend America," Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton said in a statement.

there ya go duckie.... now obama can come out in a reasoned tone and deny his belief that it's a real attack.... good cop bad cop...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:51 pm
Remember Davis called Obama a "snake-oil salesman," too. (Hmm, that sounds familiar...)

Quote:
The Republicans specifically skewered Democratic presidential candidate and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, perhaps as a signal that they expect -- or hope -- that he is that party's nominee against McCain.

"I fear the two Democrats, one in particular, is incredibly naive," McConnell said, adding that five years ago when the U.S. Senate voted to go to war in Iraq, Obama was in the Illinois state senate. "This is the big leagues now. At what point do you turn off the demagoguery and become a serious, responsible leader?"

U.S. Rep. Geoff Davis, a Hebron Republican, compared Obama and his message for change similar to a "snake oil salesman."

He said in his remarks at the GOP dinner that he also recently participated in a "highly classified, national security simulation" with Obama.

"I'm going to tell you something: That boy's finger does not need to be on the button," Davis said. "He could not make a decision in that simulation that related to a nuclear threat to this country."
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:51 pm
Condescending does not equal racist. But I won't pretend that he's above playing good cop bad cop.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:52 pm
Boy oh boy. Of course it was a racist slur. The worst kind.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 03:57 pm
You can listen here:

http://polwatchers.typepad.com/pol_watchers/files/geoff_davis_on_obama.mp3
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 09:04 pm
A post from a more local site i frequent by a very level headed and sensible poster.....

The other day in Japanese class, my daughter's teacher began talking about how she wanted to have a picnic for the class at year end. A black girl in class interrupted the teacher and began going off on her, telling her she isn't allowed to use "that word" because it's racist. Sensei, who is Japanese and has a less than perfect command of English, was horrified. She said she didn't know what the girl was talking about.

The girl told the class that the world PICNIC was racist. She said it originated from a day when white families used to round up a black person and lynch them for entertainment. She said they called the activity a "pick-a-n*****". She said the world 'picnic' was a shortened version of that.

The teacher began crying and apologizing profusely, and the more she apologized, the louder and more obnoxious the girl got, telling her she should know better, etc. The rest of the class just sat there stunned.

My daughter told me about it that night, and we looked it up. It's an internet mail lie/rumor that went around some time ago but has apparently resurfaced. We printed off several sources showing it is untrue, and my daughter took it to class the next day.

She gave a copy to Sensei, and a copy to the girl, who proceeded to ball it up and throw it at my daughter, calling her a racist. She told the class that if she "felt" a word was racist, that they were not to use it around her and she didn't care what my daughter got off the internet.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 09:05 pm
http://www.snopes.com/language/offense/picnic.asp
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 10:28 pm
Snopes debunking
wtg, bipolar. Nice debunking of that myth!
0 Replies