set down

safinaz

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 09:22 am
Hi all,

Here is my sentence:

Secretary Kissinger: I think this group should establish categories of what we say, methods for protecting what we need to keep. Then we can set down with the President to understand wha tthe issue is.

Now, I want you please to help me understand "what we say" is it simply what we're talking about? and "set down" ?????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 654 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 10:19 am
It is probably a misquote. If these were spoken comments by Kissinger, than i would surmise that who had transcribed them had incorrectly written "set down" for "sit down." To "sit down" with someone in this context simply means to meet personally with someone in order to discuss a matter, and perhaps to come to a conclusion.

It appears that "what we say" in this context refers to testimony. I suspect that you have been reading about the Watergate crisis during the Nixon presidency lately, and that the quotes for which you have sought clarification have to do with the Watergate hearings which were conducted by the United States Senate, at which members of the Nixon administration were required to testify.

If is also important to keep in mind that when people speak, they do not necessarily speak as with as coherent an English as would be the case with a written document which can be edited until it both makes sense, and says exactly what the author wants it to say (and doesn't say anything the author doesn't wish to have said).

More context would always help, but i understand that you would be unwilling to post long passages.

If this is a transcript of Kissinger speaking, that would go a long way to explain why what he says is less than transparent.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 12:51 pm
"Set" is slang for "sit" in some rural parts of the USA, e.g. the phrase "set right down" occurs quite often in "Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain, and also in the song "Walk Right In" by the Rooftop Singers. However Henry Kissinger is well known for his pronounced German accent, so I think it is a misquote.
0 Replies

safinaz

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 03:20 pm
Thanks a lot.. I would like to give more context but I think it is clearer to me now.. I will use what you said in my discussion with the teacher Smile
0 Replies