advance one's case

fansy

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 04:05 am
Quote:
President George W. Bush had just hosted Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili in Washington and stopped in Ukraine on the way to Bucharest, all in the service of advancing their case for starting down the path toward NATO membership.

Can I interpret the phrase "advancing their case" in a way I understand the meaning of "raise one's point"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 494 • Replies: 1
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 04:48 am
Re: advance one's case
fansy wrote:
Quote:
President George W. Bush had just hosted Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili in Washington and stopped in Ukraine on the way to Bucharest, all in the service of advancing their case for starting down the path toward NATO membership.

Can I interpret the phrase "advancing their case" in a way I understand the meaning of "raise one's point"?

It would be more of "push one's case forward".

"Raising one's point" is usually just bringing up a issue for discussion.

"Advancing one's point" would be going beyond simply bringing it up for dicsussion. It could include more in-depth discussions or actions to persude people to actually do something as opposed to just discussing it.

Normally, someone would raise a point and then, if there is general agreement, they'd push to advance the point further with the eventual goal of implementing whatever is being discussed.
0 Replies