New device lets customers scan for social responsibility

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 04:45 pm
Citizen Works 9/2/03
Fighting Back

New device lets customers scan for social responsibility

Imagine going to the store with a device that could scan product bar codes and then tell you whether the company behind the product was a repeat corporate polluter or had a history of labor violations?

That's the idea behind the Corporate Fallout Detector, a device developed by Massachusetts Institute of Technology graduate student James Patten. Patten's device combines a database of pollution complaints and ethics violations with a bar code scanner in a Geiger-counter-like casing.

"This makes it easier to make decisions about who you want to support," Patten told the New York Times.

He said he has no plans to turn his device into a commercial product.

For more, see: "A Good Corporate Citizen? This Scanner Can Tell," by Will Wade of the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/28/technology/circuits/28fall.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 624 • Replies: 2
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 05:19 pm
Huh!

Interesting.

I'd worry about who was making the decisions, though... some stuff is obvious, some isn't.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 02:52 am
sozobe wrote:
I'd worry about who was making the decisions, though... some stuff is obvious, some isn't.
ยด
The article says it's a bar code reader combined with a database. You could load the database with the ratings of independent, competing initiatives and let the consumer decide which initiatives she trusts. You could even add a floppy drive to upload ratings the original manufacturer hasn't considered.

Personally I'm a bit suspicious about this whole corporate responsibility business, but for those who believe in it, I think this is a great product!
0 Replies