Ticomaya

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 08:38 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
i gave you ample evidence that pitbulls are less prone to bite then even golden retrievers, are golden retrievers running around biting people?

I'm not aware of it. But if they are, you should feel free to start a new thread and post all of those newspaper articles about the vicious Golden Retriever maimings there.

Quote:
what do you THINK is going to happen when a dog that is being neglected, might i dare say "trained", to make it *mean* does when it escapes?

I think it will seriously injure or kill an innocent. What do you think will happen?
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 10:58 pm
then your problem is obviously with irresponsible owners.

which is the root of pitbull attacks.

wouldnt you say so?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 11:03 pm
No.

You sure seem quick to discount all of the accounts of pits that attack that have not been mistreated or trained to attack. I'm sure that's just your bias. You agree?
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 11:04 pm
no.

we'll just call it a draw..
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 11:09 pm
I've been watching Cesar Millan for hours today. Love the guy. Here's what he has to say on pitbulls. Doesn't mean that he has the monopoly on Truth, but I'm much more inclined to believe him than most others:

"My kids are around pit bulls every day. In the '70s they blamed Dobermans, in the '80s they blamed German shepherds, in the '90s they blamed the Rottweiler. Now they blame the pit bull."

- Cesar Millan

Pit bulls get a bad rap because of irresponsible owners. Many people consider the look or popularity of a breed before thinking about whether the dog works for their lifestyle. Please evaluate your lifestyle before taking on the responsibility of a pit bull.

Celebrities Who Own Pit Bulls

* Jon Stewart of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart owns two pit bulls: Shamsky & Monkey.
* Ken Howard, award-winning actor from Crossing Jordon, was saved by his pit bull Shadow during a medical crisis.
* Movie star Alicia Silverstone owns a rescued pit bull named Samson.
* Adam Brody gave girlfriend and O.C. co-star Rachel Bilson a pit bull named Penny Lane as a birthday gift.
* Oscar winner Jamie Foxx, TV Personality Rachael Ray and Pittsburgh Steelers Linebacker Joey Porter all own two pit bulls!
* Jessica Biel has a pit bull named Tina, and Jessica Alba owns a pit bull puppy.
* President Theodore Roosevelt, President Woodrow Wilson, singer Kevin Federline, radio personality Ira Glass, actor Fred Astaire, General George Patton, actor Michael J. Fox, actor Jan Michael Vincent, actor Jack Dempsy, Thomas Edison, singer Madonna, movie star Brad Pitt, actress Bernadette Peters, comedian Sinbad, actress Linda Blair, actor Humphrey Bogart, musician Usher, comedian Mel Brooks, actress Ann Bancroft, actor Jan Michael Vincent, singer Pink, actress Eliza Dushku and actress Kelli Williams are just a few other celebrities who own or have owned a pit bull.

TV, Film & Print Appearances

* Petey from The Little Rascals.
* Grunt from the 1983 movie Flashdance.
* Tige from Buster Brown shoe advertisements.
* The dog in the film Snatch is a pit bull.
* Jennifer Lopez used a pit bull in the music video "I'm Glad".
* Veronica Mars from the UPN show of the same name owns a pit bull named Backup.
* The pit bull was so respected in the early 1900's that the military chose an image of a dignified pit bull to represent the country on WWI propaganda posters.
* The pit bull is the only breed to have graced the cover of Life Magazine three times.

Fun fact about the DPC's famous pit bull, Daddy

* Rapper Redman was Daddy's original owner. He gave the four-month old dog to Cesar to care for at the center, because he didn't feel he could take care of him properly in his environment.

Other Fun Facts

* Helen Keller had a pit bull as a family pet.
* Dakota is a pit bull search and rescue who searched for the remains of the astronauts who lost their lives in explosion of the space shuttle Columbia.
* Popsicle, who received his name after police found him in a freezer during a drug raid, is famous for sniffing out drugs for the DEA.
* A pit bull rescued in South Los Angeles by County Fire Station 14 during 1985 was the station's mascot for years.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 11:11 pm
http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/images/features/daddy.jpg

That's Daddy.

He also has pitbulls that were used in fighting and now work in his dog psychology center to help train other dogs.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 11:20 pm
i have a story about my pit i dont think i could share it though.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 11:21 pm
well she saved my life!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:20 pm
Quote:
Boy, 6, remains hospitalized after mauling
Pit bull owner says he is unsure why his dogs attacked

By Gerry Smith | Chicago Tribune reporter
September 21, 2008

An East Garfield Park boy remained hospitalized Saturday after undergoing plastic surgery, while his family tried to understand why a neighbor's dogs attacked the 6-year-old.

Trayshawn Toliver's family found it hard to believe the pit bulls could have inflicted such harm.

"These dogs see him every day," said Trayshawn's sister, Erica. "He doesn't play with the dogs. I don't understand how it happened."

Two of the dogs were shot and killed by police and a third is being held by animal control.

The incident began Friday night, when Trayshawn was retrieving a ball that had gone across a fence into a neighbor's yard in the 500 block of North Lawndale Avenue. The boy gained access to the yard because the fence had been partially knocked down after a recent storm, said Trayshawn's brother, Victor, 19.

That's when the dogs attacked. Officers on patrol in the area were flagged down about 7:45 p.m. and tried to ward off the dogs.

The officers tried to lift Trayshawn over the chain-link fence, "but the dogs were relentless in their grip of the young victim," said Chicago Police Officer John Mirabelli.

Officers used pepper spray before they shot and killed two of the dogs, police said.

The third dog ran away but was captured and is with Animal Care and Control.

"They tried every available measure prior to discharging their weapons," Mirabelli said.

But by then, the damage had been done. Trayshawn was taken in serious condition to Mt. Sinai Hospital. Doctors performed plastic surgery Friday night on both of his legs, which had been mauled from his thighs to his feet and had one gash so deep it exposed muscle tissue, Erica Toliver said.

The dogs' owner, William Johnson, a carpenter, said Saturday he was at work at the time of the attack and didn't know exactly what had happened. Johnson, 32, said he was surprised the dogs mauled the boy.

"They were just puppies," he said. "They were not mean dogs. I'm not sure what provoked it.

"I'm very sorry this happened. I can always get another dog. But a kid, you can't replace that."

Police said Saturday the incident was still under investigation.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:21 pm
Quote:
Police kill pit bull as it attacks its owner

Staff report
Originally published 08:41 a.m., September 26, 2008
Updated 08:41 a.m., September 26, 2008

Evansville police shot and killed a pit bull late Thursday night after the dog attacked its owner.

According to Officer Tyrone Wood, the incident occurred at 409 E. Eichel Ave. around 11:30 p.m.

Wood said when police arrived, in response to a 911 call, the living room floor was covered in blood, the dog was ripping the arm of owner Tony Burden, 24, and a woman identified as Burden’s wife, Miriam Engelhardt, was screaming “He won’t let go” and hitting the dog, Brutis, with an aluminum bat.

Burden was shouting, “Help me, shoot him,” according to a police report.

Burden was taken to Deaconess Hospital with arm wounds and was in fair condition today.

Engelhardt told police Burden, who had been outside arguing with a neighbor, was attacked by the dog after he came inside and sat down in a living room chair.

AMR and the Evansville Fire Department were dispatched and the animal was picked up by Animal Control.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:23 pm
Quote:
8-year-old girl hospitalized after pit bull attack

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - An 8-year-old girl remained hospitalized late Saturday after being attacked by a pit bull earlier in the day.

The child was attacked in 100 block of south 44th street around 1:30 p.m. Saturday. Officials say she was playing with the dog when it turned on her.

The girl was taken to Kosair Children's Hospital with serious injuries.

Metro Animal Service officers have quarantined the dog.

So far no charges have been filed.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:25 pm
Quote:
Pit bull dog seized after attacking 13-year-old

September 26, 2008 08:55:00 AM
By Tony Simmons / Online Editor

PANAMA CITY

Bay County Animal Control seized a pit bull dog on Thursday after it crossed a street to attack a girl and also tried to bite a man who rushed to her aid.

The incident happened on Swan Road in Panama City a little after 5 p.m. Thursday, according to a report from the Bay County Sheriff's Office. The juvenile victim, 13, and her mother had just gotten out of their car in their driveway when the bulldog ran from the yard across the street and attacked the child, the report said.

According to the report, the girl suffered two puncture wounds to the right side of her upper back. Steve Jones, the girl's mother's fiance, ran to her aid; the dog turned on him and began to bite his right ankle, but he was able to kick the dog away before he was injured, the report said.

The dog then returned to the yard across the street, where he remained until Animal Control arrived. A deputy and the Animal Control officer made contact with Petra Bell, the owner of the dog. She was not at home when the incident occurred, the report said.

Bell advised officers that the dog's shots were current and it didn't have a history of biting. She surrendered the dog, "Piper," to Animal Control without incident, the report said.

EMS arrived and treated the child's injuries.
OGIONIK

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:31 pm
@Ticomaya,
so what is it, pitbull or bulldog? there is a difference so obvious, only a moron would use the two in reference to the same dog.
OGIONIK

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:32 pm
@OGIONIK,
part of the well known propaganda towards pitbulls, every dog is a pitbull bull if it has bitten someone, apparently.

pitbulkl dog, bull dog the pit dog, bull pit terrier!

what the hell new breed of dog is this tahat can change breeds at will.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
DrewDad

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 06:55 am
@OGIONIK,
OGIONIK wrote:
, every dog is a pitbull bull if it has bitten someone, apparently.

Allowing you to soothe your conscience by assuming the reporter got it wrong?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 09:49 am
Some areas around Albuquerque have banned pittbulls after particularly savage attacks on people and livestock. Yes, it is the rare pittbull that attacks, but the dogs have been bred as a fighting breed and it is believed by some, including breeders, vets, and others who have been consulted, that this is ingrained in their DNA.

Almost any pack dog that attacks will kill if encouraged by the pack itself. That's why feral dogs of almost any breed roaming the countryside in packs can become dangerous. A single dog is far less likely to be. And most dogs are bred to be domestic pets and while protective aggression or bites can occur in any breed, most will most often bite, turn loose and retreat.

According to the rationale used here to ban the breed, a pittbull will attack without backup from a pack and is even more aggressive with assistance of a pack. He will continue to attack and savage its prey until that prey is dead. Further, more than any other breed, it is far more likely that the most gentle and loving pet pittbug will have that killer dna kick in at an entirely unsuspected time. Almost all the cases here in which somebody, usually children, were horribly savaged and maimed by a pittbull, it was by a family pet that had never previously shown any previous aggressive tendencies.

I love all dogs and cannot bear to think of any animal being neglected or mistreated. That includes pittbulls. But given there are so many other breeds that are not famous for unprovoked deadly savage attacks to choose from, I do think pittbulls should be phased out and disappear.
TTH

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 09:54 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
Yes, it is the rare pittbull that attacks, but the dogs have been bred as a fighting breed and it is believed by some, including breeders, vets, and others who have been consulted, that this is ingrained in their DNA.
I agree with you about this. Police have had to shoot and kill 3 pitbulls in 2 different incidents within the last couple of weeks here in WA State. That is just the ones I have come across.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 06:40 pm
@Foxfyre,
i have to disagree, phase out the best breed of dog?

insanity.

people just dont know wtf they are doing, like the "motorcycles are dangerous" bullshit.

who dies riding?

idiots, who dont know what they are doing.

and the occasional person hit by bad luck, or taking it to an extreme level.

to take my pit, you would have to kill me cold. or else ima kill you.
OGIONIK

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 06:41 pm
@OGIONIK,
i cant wait for my baby to turn on me.

oh wait, its not going to happen.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 05:09 am
@OGIONIK,
OGIONIK wrote:
people just dont know wtf they are doing
You are right. People created the "Pit Bull" aka "American Pit Bull Terrier" to fight. They have been known to turn on their owners. Hope yours nevers does.