Vote for Tiger Woods

blatham

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 09:45 am
Wimp! Running from a bit of electricity.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 08:47 pm
Sure Tiger Woods is Black. In my own opinion though, he has transcended his need to "live" a racial identity. He is a golfer and champion many times over. That is his life, and it has nothing to do with race. Now Obama, again in my opinion, has waltzed in and out of racial arenas. His work in Chicago neighborhoods was in context of his being a Black man I thought. At Columbia he was a bright student amongst many other bright students. But, he seems to find comfort in being a Black man, in my opinion. Tiger Woods, again in my opinion, seems to find comfort in winning at golf. I prefer people that transcend society's labels. That tells me the individual is probably more immune to society's brainwashing.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 09:26 pm
Foofie wrote:
Sure Tiger Woods is Black. In my own opinion though, he has transcended his need to "live" a racial identity. He is a golfer and champion many times over. That is his life, and it has nothing to do with race. Now Obama, again in my opinion, has waltzed in and out of racial arenas. His work in Chicago neighborhoods was in context of his being a Black man I thought. At Columbia he was a bright student amongst many other bright students. But, he seems to find comfort in being a Black man, in my opinion. Tiger Woods, again in my opinion, seems to find comfort in winning at golf. I prefer people that transcend society's labels. That tells me the individual is probably more immune to society's brainwashing.

Um... if you go to the Tiger Woods Foundation site ... http://www.tigerwoodsfoundation.org/

you'll maybe get the idea that he's not blind to color.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 10:07 pm
snood wrote:
hanno wrote:
I doubt it was racial - I mean, ask a millwright if Ira Rennert could handle (Jumping) Jack Welsch, and they'd say 'sure' even though they tend to hate Ira and would tend to identify more closely with Jack's cultural heritage and values... And this is a bigger discrepancy as well - the military + statesmanship vs. sports as opposed to heavy industry vs. manufacturing... What I mean to say is, the proverbial cause is bigger in a lot of folks minds, as long as the cause is allowed to exist (it sure as hell ain't in the People's Republic of Australia), and especially in those of our highly enfranchised citizen-soldiers than race. I hope so anyway.

thank you for your opinion of what is, and is not racial, Ty cobb.

Well since you mention it - a violent monster for most of his career, yes, but my understanding is that Cobb was philosophically an elitist rather than a racist. Of course at the time the functional definitions of the two overlapped almost entirely - but to his own regret most of all Ty missed out on higher education and even so, in his little corner of the universe he recognized individual merit above and beyond any regard to race...

HOW RACIST WAS TY? - Burgess

And my picture of him with the sunlight in his eyes and the look of easy resolve across a troubled brow - no epitaph implying small mindedness, as I believe 'racist' does, could possibly apply.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 08:44 am
Letty wrote:
Too bad that Tiger is married. He can play on my golf course anytime he wants to. Razz

http://images.usatoday.com/weather/_photos/2006/06/21/apmembershowcase.jpg

One of my gf's brothers is gay, and he says the exact same thing about Tiger Woods.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 08:45 am
Which means what?
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 09:46 am
I wouldn't encourage my kids to emulate any sports figure or any politician. They are all jaded. Do some of them do good works? Of course they do. If they didn't they would lose their fan base or not be elected in their next election. I guess that makes me a racist. Surely someone on this site can work up a connection.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 11:10 am
blatham wrote:
Foofie wrote:

Um... if you go to the Tiger Woods Foundation site ... http://www.tigerwoodsfoundation.org/

I see your point, in context of your link. But, we don't know what caused it. In my own case, I never had a big box of Crayola crayons as a child, and to this day I can't pass a fruit stand without looking longingly at the plums and other colored fruit, knowing how I suffered the crayon deprivation that children of small Crayola boxes may suffer.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 01:32 pm
Foofie wrote:
blatham wrote:
Foofie wrote:

I see your point, in context of your link. But, we don't know what caused it. In my own case, I never had a big box of Crayola crayons as a child, and to this day I can't pass a fruit stand without looking longingly at the plums and other colored fruit, knowing how I suffered the crayon deprivation that children of small Crayola boxes may suffer.

We all grow up breathing in the prejudices of our families and local communities. Until we get the opportunity, if we do, to move outside those unthinking prejudices and see them for what they are, and then set to questioning them, we'll remain influenced by them, quite unconsciously.
Perhaps it will be a religious prejudice or a racial prejudice or a gender prejudice or a nationalist prejudice or a prejudice against folks who live on the south side of the railroad tracks, but these things are simply a given in the human experience.

When awareness does finally dawn that we (as a group or community) have been unthinkingly and unfairly holding some portion of our community in a second class status then we will begin the battle of correction of this prior injustice. And it is always a battle because such awareness will vary and because the tendencies to hold to fixed and traditional notions will vary. And because priviledge is often a part of this story, priviledge which those who fortunately possess it, will be reluctant to give it up.

That period that follows, the transition from deep inequality to real equality, will be marked by ongoing discord. Some folks will get there much quicker than others.

To imagine that the community or the culture broadly has arrived already isn't supported by a clear-sighted look at all sorts of statistics. We aren't going to finish this job if we pretend that we, as a group or culture, have got it done already. Neither Tiger nor Obama (nor others we could name) are representative. They are exceptions because they are exceptional individuals with a lot of very good fortune in personal gifts and in life opportunities.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 06:41 pm
blatham wrote:

When awareness does finally dawn that we (as a group or community) have been unthinkingly and unfairly holding some portion of our community in a second class status then we will begin the battle of correction of this prior injustice. And it is always a battle because such awareness will vary and because the tendencies to hold to fixed and traditional notions will vary. And because priviledge is often a part of this story, priviledge which those who fortunately possess it, will be reluctant to give it up.

That period that follows, the transition from deep inequality to real equality, will be marked by ongoing discord. Some folks will get there much quicker than others.

This sounds to me as a very idealistic view of human nature, even though the above statement accepts that those with privilege will be reluctant to give it up.

It's not even privilege, but just feeling that one is in a higher status class than the group being held down. People like to feel that they are not at the bottom of the proverbial barrel.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 07:05 pm
Quote:
It's not even privilege, but just feeling that one is in a higher status class than the group being held down. People like to feel that they are not at the bottom of the proverbial barrel.

Yes, that's part of the story. But we demonstrate a lot of variance here too. And, of course, many of our institutions arose and continue to exist on the rationale that such urges to dominate others need to be held in check, for the benefits of all of us and as a means to fulfill basic moral assumptions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 07:42 pm
rabel22 wrote:
I wouldn't encourage my kids to emulate any sports figure or any politician. They are all jaded. Do some of them do good works? Of course they do. If they didn't they would lose their fan base or not be elected in their next election. I guess that makes me a racist. Surely someone on this site can work up a connection.

Ah, you're the jaded one. Of course, you are sometimes right in your assessment, but not all are jaded. Do you know any athletes or people in political positions personally?
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 10:55 pm
Yes
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 11:03 pm
I do too, and the political folk I know are not jaded. I don't know major athletes personally, but I doubt very much that all of them are nogoodniks.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 11:05 pm
All. No. Most yes.
0 Replies