Vote for Tiger Woods

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 06:57 pm
Quote:
Army Staff Sergeant David Bellavia introduced John McCain at Vets for Freedom Rally today with this unfortunate line, linking Barack Obama with golfer Tiger Woods. But not in a good way:

"Fortunately, I have the privilege, the distinct privilege today, of introducing a true American hero who defies political norms in Washington," Bellavia said. "Sen. John McCain has spent a lifetime in service to our nation. His example of unwavering courage is a model for every American. Rest assured that men like Senator McCain will be the goal and the men that my two young boys will emulate and admire. You can have your Tiger Woods, we've got Senator McCain."

I'm pretty sure this was not meant in a racial way, probably just a reference to sports heros being essentially stupid; ya think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,763 • Replies: 34
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 07:00 pm
Hard to know what a doofless remark like that is intended to convey.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 07:58 pm
"All the fun is in
how you say a thing"--Robert Frost
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 07:59 pm
I'd jump over 100 John McCains to get to 1 Tiger Woods...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 08:01 pm
I think he is smart enough to stick wit golf...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 08:03 pm
Rockhead wrote:

which makes him smarter than the average politican... or the average Bear :wink:
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 08:31 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Rockhead wrote:

which makes him smarter than the average politican... or the average Bear :wink:

Yeah, but just look at that winning smile of his.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 09:33 pm
Re: Vote for Tiger Woods
Quote:
Army Staff Sergeant David Bellavia introduced John McCain at Vets for Freedom Rally

"Fortunately, I have the privilege, the distinct privilege today, of introducing a true American hero who defies political norms in Washington," Bellavia said. "Sen. John McCain has spent a lifetime in service to our nation. His example of unwavering courage is a model for every American. Rest assured that men like Senator McCain will be the goal and the men that my two young boys will emulate and admire. "

What's particularly interesting is how the same tired old lies are replayed ad nauseam. "Any way the wind blows" McCain. How could a father wish such a thing on his sons?
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 10:41 pm
I doubt it was racial - I mean, ask a millwright if Ira Rennert could handle (Jumping) Jack Welsch, and they'd say 'sure' even though they tend to hate Ira and would tend to identify more closely with Jack's cultural heritage and values... And this is a bigger discrepancy as well - the military + statesmanship vs. sports as opposed to heavy industry vs. manufacturing... What I mean to say is, the proverbial cause is bigger in a lot of folks minds, as long as the cause is allowed to exist (it sure as hell ain't in the People's Republic of Australia), and especially in those of our highly enfranchised citizen-soldiers than race. I hope so anyway.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 04:17 am
hanno wrote:
I doubt it was racial - I mean, ask a millwright if Ira Rennert could handle (Jumping) Jack Welsch, and they'd say 'sure' even though they tend to hate Ira and would tend to identify more closely with Jack's cultural heritage and values... And this is a bigger discrepancy as well - the military + statesmanship vs. sports as opposed to heavy industry vs. manufacturing... What I mean to say is, the proverbial cause is bigger in a lot of folks minds, as long as the cause is allowed to exist (it sure as hell ain't in the People's Republic of Australia), and especially in those of our highly enfranchised citizen-soldiers than race. I hope so anyway.

thank you for your opinion of what is, and is not racial, Ty cobb.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 05:04 am
I believe the man was inferring that Obama is as inconsequential as Tiger Woods. That he selected Tiger no doubt harkens to both men's mixed heritage. That it conjurs a racial image to many persons has to be considered. It's a more or less subliminal message to the racists, I think.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 06:55 am
agreed exactly, edgarblythe. Both men are attractive and popular black men and the writer is saying we may as well have Tiger Woods as Obama as though Obama is not qualified to be president. In other words he is all hype with no substance is the message.

However, Tiger Woods is a good golfer (I assume; don't follow the game myself) and not just popular because he has a winning smile, likewise the same with Obama for a President.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 08:21 am
Let's see...he could have picked Mickey Mantle, or Arnold Palmer, or Wayne Gretsky, or even Vijay Singh.

But he picks a mixed-race icon who is part african american.

Then Lindsay steps in to do a fast PR repair job.

But no, nothing racial going on here.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 08:54 am
1 on 1, man to man... Tiger would kick Obama's ass both physically and mentally - there is no comparison.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 09:11 am
I'm not sure this comment will have the desired effect. I immediately translated it in my mind to "you can vote for a winner if you want, we have John McCain". I guess there are worse things than being compared to a person who pretty much kicks ass.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 09:24 am
Quote:
A House report says racially insensitive photos were destroyed.
By Nicole Gaouette, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
April 9, 2008
WASHINGTON -- House Democrats on Tuesday accused the head of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Julie L. Myers, of trying to cover up events related to a Halloween party last year where she gave a prize for "most original" costume to an employee in blackface and prison garb.

A 22-page report issued late Tuesday charged that Myers, then the agency's acting director, made "a coordinated effort to conceal the circumstances surrounding the party" in an effort to squelch the issue before her Senate confirmation vote...

The photos came to light in February after CNN submitted a Freedom of Information Act request. When the agency released pictures to the network, it also provided copies to Thompson's committee.

One photo shows a smiling Myers, wearing a gray suit and blue blouse, beside a large man in jailhouse stripes and a dreadlock wig. His face, which is obscured in the photo, has been darkened with makeup...

Animosity toward Myers also is fueled by lawmakers' concerns about her fitness for the position. President Bush named her to head the agency in early 2006, bypassing lawmakers' concerns about the competence of the Homeland Security Department's political appointees.

Myers had no immigration expertise and little management experience. She had worked for Chertoff at the Justice Department, her husband was his chief of staff, and her uncle was the departing chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-myers9apr09,1,98144.story?track=rss
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 09:27 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I'm not sure this comment will have the desired effect. I immediately translated it in my mind to "you can vote for a winner if you want, we have John McCain". I guess there are worse things than being compared to a person who pretty much kicks ass.

I had the same reaction...! "Tiger Woods" just isn't much of a pejorative, especially these days.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 09:29 am
(I do think the guy THOUGHT he was doing some kind of a clever put-down, I just don't think it actually had the intended effect.)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 09:33 am
sozobe wrote:
(I do think the guy THOUGHT he was doing some kind of a clever put-down, I just don't think it actually had the intended effect.)

Well, I'm sure that's right. It may not even have occured to him to say it until not long before it escaped. But what his brain reached towards, for analogy, tells us a deeper story about race (it ain't invisible and it ain't disappeared)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 09:37 am
Too bad that Tiger is married. He can play on my golf course anytime he wants to. Razz

http://images.usatoday.com/weather/_photos/2006/06/21/apmembershowcase.jpg
0 Replies