What affect do seasonal allergies have on child behavior?

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:01 pm
Any? Some? None? A lot?

Please note that I am talking about seasonal allergies, not food allergies.

I'm trying to find some information and my research skills are failing me. (Probably because my allergies are so horrific right now.) I have come across a few brief articles saying that seasonal allergies can excite (is that the right word?) ADHD problems or present themselves as ADHD type behaviors.

Can you offer some personal experience or point me towards some research?

Many, many thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,412 • Replies: 11

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:05 pm
How many million comments on this do you want?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:15 pm
I'll take a million and then some -- hopefully representing both sides of the issue.

Mr. B and I are having a ...... discussion, okay, maybe it's really a confrontation about the effects of allergies. I just want some information whether it proves my point or disproves my point (I'm intentionally trying not to present my point but I might not do a good job of it).

And yes, I will be consulting a doctor about this -- tomorrow -- but I want to know what I'm talking about when I call and I'm hoping the knowledgable and generous A2Kers can help.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:19 pm
My experience is that seasonal allergies mostly made me sleepy, dopey and grumpy as a kid. It's a bit better now. A bit.

hamburger could tell you how grumpy I got, and I'd have to admit it was the truth.

The emphasis though was on sleepy. Even my school friends could tell when my allergies were going to be bad as I started needing more and more and more sleep.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:22 pm
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-03-16-allergies-depression_N.htm

ha!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:26 pm
http://www.achooallergy.com/blog/seasonal-allergies-suicide/

~~~

can't sleep
need to sleep
can't get enough sleep
need to sleep
can't think straight after a while
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:29 pm
http://www.feingold.org/enews/06-2003.html#seasonal

Quote:
At the 2003 Annual conference of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, it was reported that symptoms of ADHD may worsen with seasonal allergies, yet many children are never tested for such allergy. Researchers reported that some of the behavioral patterns observed in ADHD might come from sleep problems caused by allergy symptoms -- particularly nasal obstruction -- and that all children diagnosed with ADHD should also be tested for seasonal and environmental allergies. Treatment for the allergies might improve their overall behavior and symptoms.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:38 pm
They used to make me utterly miserable, highly agitated, exhausted, and doubtless very, very grumpy when I was a kid.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 06:43 am
I don't know much about the allergy part of it but I seem to remember a previous discussion wherein we discovered that allergy treatments cause some issues, themselves.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 07:55 am
I remember talking about asthma and seasonal allergies. Asthma meds can make kids behave totally crazy.

I still get super cranky when my allegies are bad.

Thanks for those links eBeth! Suicidal? Damn.

Interesting stuff about the protiens and how they affect they cause the body to react and how that impacts the brain.

I think "allergy" is so overused that it isn't taken seriously much. I know I'm guilty too. I remember talking to my doctor once and she got off on a rant about how everyone says they're "allergic" to perfumes and smoke, etc., saying you can't be "allergic" to those things. You can be annoyed. Your body can be irritated. Your nose can run, your eyes can burn, all manner of things can happen but you still aren't allergic.
0 Replies

Ambruck

Reply Fri 17 May, 2013 07:14 pm
@boomerang,
I am an elementary school counselor and for years I have noticed an increase in behavior problems in the spring. Particularly Increased anger outbursts and defiance.
boomerang

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 07:43 am
@Ambruck,
Hi Ambruck and welcome to A2K.

I wonder if behavior problems caused by allergies are more common than reported. Or maybe it's reactions to allergy medications.

My son seems to have terrible reactions to allergy meds. We end up in a terrible cycle of the allergies making him miserable and the meds making him miserable.

Zyrtec seemed to be working but one morning he asked if it could make him have strange dreams. We looked it up and sure enough it can make people have vivid dreams.

I can't even imagine dealing with a whole school of kids being affected in such a way.
0 Replies