Polygamists: Authorities Prepare For the Worst in Texas

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 09:01 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
fishin wrote:
There is a lot more to it than loyalty. An abused child knows their "position in the pack" within the abusive environment. That's not ideal by any means but removing them from their home is completely disorienting.

I disagree, and obviously most states do so too!

Quote:
The fallacy here is that foster care is no safer than where they were. Everyone would like to think that it is but if you read through the numerous studies from each state you'll find that on average, 1 in 4 children is sexually abused while in the State's care after being removed from their home and as many as 60% can expect to be mentally or physically abused while in foster care.

I will research your claim that 1 in 4 children are sexually abused in
foster care. Other countries have orphanages, why where they abolished in the US?

Quote:
IMO, the difference isn't so much in the definition of what is or isn't abuse but in whether the State can (or should) remove children form their homes while they are trying to figure out if there is any abuse at all.

How do you figure out abuse while the children are still at home?

Quote:
The State of TX standard requires the threat of imminent physical harm before removing the child. While I think sexual and physical abuse would certianly count in that I don't see how "they have weird religious beliefs" or "they repress women!" does.

The State of TX has not removed the children due to their mothers being repressed or due to their religious beliefs.

Quote:
Those other issues may very well fall under the category of neglect or be considered abusive but they don't rise to the legal standard that State has set for removal at this point. If those allegations are founded then the State can remove the children from their homes when they've proven the charges - not just alledged them.

This goes back to Squinney's earlier comments about whether or not "we" have a say. The people of the State of Texas created the law that creates the breakpoint for when "we" have a say in how someone else's child is raised. That standard applies to State agencies as well as parents.

It is not so much of how someone else's child is raised, as it is that
there is a norm, a standard of what children should learn during their
educational years. As far as I know, it is against the law to not educate
your children through either home schooling or public venues.

All the children at the TX ranch were taught the "bible" only. They have
no knowledge of the grade appropriate education that is required by
law. Even home schooled children are subject to state testing in various
subjects. I highly doubt that these children were included in such testings.

And yes, it is a form of child abuse if you neglect resp. deny your children a decent education that is accredited by a public education board.

Hmmmm...I am not surprised by Fishin's figure of one in four abused in care.......and that's terrible.

However, we do have reasonable (depending upon how good the initial assessment was) grounds to believe that four in for of those kids wer ebeing abused previously.

I think you'll find that orphanages were abolished in all countries that could manage to do so because the nature of orphanage care is intrinsically harmful (no real attachment figures, unless a kid was lucky just for starters), and because, given the human propensity for disturbingly large numbers of us to abuse power over anyone more helpless than us if the opportunity arises, they tended to be child abuse factories in far too many cases.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 09:04 pm
Re experts, sadly, no.

I wish it was someplace besides Texas, but I really don't know if anywhere else woulda been better.

Prolly not, cuz at least there sh*t happens fast and unsophisticated (sorry)

I am not on any side but those that are afraid or unable to speak up, but I fear they are many...

RH
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 09:29 pm
dlowan wrote:
One of the dilemmas is that people are saying the kids ought not to have been removed while the investigation was done.....and the media tells me the authorities attempted to investigate without doing so.

However, how is a child living with their alleged abuser going to feel freely able to talk about what has been happening in their lives?

Right. The children were taught to fear the outside world and not to
trust anyone outside their compound. They fear everyone and everything.
It would have been impossible to investigate while the children remained at the ranch.

Quote:
Another issue seems to me to be a cost/benefit thing. Not to mention all the reasonable concerns expressed here re how we balance state vs parental vs children's rights in all this. Guess what? I don't believe we'll EVER be able to do that perfectly.....again we can only humbly and mindfully do our best to do what is least worst.

Agreed!

Quote:
I am wondering if a lot of the expertise re what would be helpful might lie with the adults who experienced abuse in cults as kids.

It would indeed be interesting to hear from them. I have read a number
of documentaries from adults who were in cults as children, and it is very
disheartening to read.

Quote:
I am also wondering if there IS a body of knowledge developing re intervention in these situations? Do you guys have any "experts" coming out of the woodwork and discussing what has occurred in what seems to be a rational and reasonable way?

CNN has "experts" on TV talking about the case, nothing concrete though,
mainly due to the absence of information from the authorities in TX.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 09:30 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
fishin wrote:
There is a lot more to it than loyalty. An abused child knows their "position in the pack" within the abusive environment. That's not ideal by any means but removing them from their home is completely disorienting.

I disagree, and obviously most states do so too!

By what standards do most states not recognize the child's ability to survive at hoime?

Quote:
Quote:
The fallacy here is that foster care is no safer than where they were. Everyone would like to think that it is but if you read through the numerous studies from each state you'll find that on average, 1 in 4 children is sexually abused while in the State's care after being removed from their home and as many as 60% can expect to be mentally or physically abused while in foster care.

I will research your claim that 1 in 4 children are sexually abused in
foster care. Other countries have orphanages, why where they abolished in the US?

There are still a few orphanages but there aren't many. Most were phased out at about the same time many of the mental hospitals were closed. The "experts" decided that they were cruel/inappropriate/etc...

Quote:
Quote:
IMO, the difference isn't so much in the definition of what is or isn't abuse but in whether the State can (or should) remove children form their homes while they are trying to figure out if there is any abuse at all.

How do you figure out abuse while the children are still at home?

You conduct an appropriate investigation. I listed numbers earlier in this thread but here in the State of MA 90% of investigations are done while the child remains in the custody of their parents/guardians. This is not unusual.

Quote:
Quote:
The State of TX standard requires the threat of imminent physical harm before removing the child. While I think sexual and physical abuse would certianly count in that I don't see how "they have weird religious beliefs" or "they repress women!" does.

The State of TX has not removed the children due to their mothers being repressed or due to their religious beliefs.

But they are some of the justifcations that have been thrown out in this very thread...

Quote:
Quote:
Those other issues may very well fall under the category of neglect or be considered abusive but they don't rise to the legal standard that State has set for removal at this point. If those allegations are founded then the State can remove the children from their homes when they've proven the charges - not just alledged them.

This goes back to Squinney's earlier comments about whether or not "we" have a say. The people of the State of Texas created the law that creates the breakpoint for when "we" have a say in how someone else's child is raised. That standard applies to State agencies as well as parents.

It is not so much of how someone else's child is raised, as it is that
there is a norm, a standard of what children should learn during their
educational years. As far as I know, it is against the law to not educate
your children through either home schooling or public venues.

All the children at the TX ranch were taught the "bible" only. They have
no knowledge of the grade appropriate education that is required by
law. Even home schooled children are subject to state testing in various
subjects. I highly doubt that these children were included in such testings.

And yes, it is a form of child abuse if you neglect resp. deny your children a decent education that is accredited by a public education board.

First of all, according to published reports the sect ran their own schoolhouse and every child was taught using the State of Texas's established home-schooling criteria (which requires that each child be tested annually to ensure they are actually learning the appropriate material.) I have yet to see any published report or claim by the State that the children were only taught using the bible (which the FLDS doesn't use to begin with so it would be highly unlikely).

But... which of those, exactly, creates the threat of imminent physical harm that authorizes the State to remove children from their home while the investigation is being conducted? To my knowledge no child has ever dropped dead within 48 hours because they didn't go to a math class.

You again rasie the question of standards but then want the State of Texas to ignore the standards they have. You can't have it both ways.

From this evening's NY Times:

"CPS officials have conceded there is no evidence the youngest children were abused, and about 130 of the children are under 5. Teenage boys were not physically or sexually abused either, according to evidence presented in a custody hearing earlier last week, but more than two dozen teenage boys are also in state custody, now staying at a boys' ranch that might typically house troubled or abandoned teens."

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Polygamist-Retreat.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

So that's roughly 150 of the kids where the State has publicly admitted that there is no threat of imminent physical harm - yet they all remain in the State's care.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 09:42 pm
I have found this figures from childwelfare.gov - statistics
http://www.firststar.org/research/profiles2.asp

The national average of maltreatment in foster care is by 0.5 % per
1000 children.

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/7420/picture1et4.png
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 09:49 pm
fishin' this is from your report

Quote:
''There was a systematic process going on to groom these young girls to become brides,'' said CPS spokesman Darrell Azar, noting that the state had no way to protect from possible future abuse if they stayed on the ranch.

''Removal is always the last option,'' he said. ''In this case, there was no other choice.''

The younger children, under the age of 5, have been allowed to return
to the ranch with their mothers.

That is, the will be separated too

Quote:
Adult mothers who have been allowed to stay with their young children since they were taken from a polygamous sect will be separated from them after DNA sampling is completed next week, a child welfare official said Saturday.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 10:02 pm
CalamityJane wrote:

1000 children.

It would be interesting if they provided info on what those numbers actually represent. But... the watchdog groups that monitor the state agencies tell a very different story.

http://www.liftingtheveil.org/foster04.htm
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 10:05 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
dlowan wrote:
One of the dilemmas is that people are saying the kids ought not to have been removed while the investigation was done.....and the media tells me the authorities attempted to investigate without doing so.

However, how is a child living with their alleged abuser going to feel freely able to talk about what has been happening in their lives?

Right. The children were taught to fear the outside world and not to
trust anyone outside their compound. They fear everyone and everything.
It would have been impossible to investigate while the children remained at the ranch.

Quote:
Another issue seems to me to be a cost/benefit thing. Not to mention all the reasonable concerns expressed here re how we balance state vs parental vs children's rights in all this. Guess what? I don't believe we'll EVER be able to do that perfectly.....again we can only humbly and mindfully do our best to do what is least worst.

Agreed!

Quote:
I am wondering if a lot of the expertise re what would be helpful might lie with the adults who experienced abuse in cults as kids.

It would indeed be interesting to hear from them. I have read a number
of documentaries from adults who were in cults as children, and it is very
disheartening to read.

Quote:
I am also wondering if there IS a body of knowledge developing re intervention in these situations? Do you guys have any "experts" coming out of the woodwork and discussing what has occurred in what seems to be a rational and reasonable way?

CNN has "experts" on TV talking about the case, nothing concrete though,
mainly due to the absence of information from the authorities in TX.

Thing is, heaps of kids don't disclose abuse even when they are not in contact with the alleged abuser and where the practice of the interview process is excellent.

Just the way things are. I think some of you folks are operating under a belief that, if abuse is occurring in the sect, beyond what is physically manifest, it will be disclosed.

Oh, I mean they don't disclose where there IS abuse........as evidenced by what they say later once they feel powerful and safe enough to disclose.

At least here, where I work, there's almost always only one bite of the cherry as evidentiary forensic psychosocial interviews must follow the strictest of guidelines re not leading a child and a host of other factors.

There is only one preliminary interview to familiarise the child with the interviewer, and to assess the child's capacity re a number of factors (like language ability, concept of time, concept of lie vs truth, ability to identify parts of body, ability to correct interviewer when they are wrong etc. etc. etc,)

There is then one forensic interview, which is strictly, as I said, guided by rules of evidence.

Interviewing again, if a child discloses something after the forensic, only happens sometimes, if new material emerges, the expression of which also meets certain guidelines. Re-interviewing a child on the same material, unless there were factors which clearly rendered it justifiable, would normally be seen as highly questionable in court.

This is all supposed to guard against false accusations and other abuses, and I can see the point. The balance is tough. Personally, here, I think the abusers are better protected than the kids, by a wide margin.

Now.

In effect, if you're a little kid, and there's no witnesses or physical evidence, (usual in most sexual abuse situations), cases seldom get as far as court, and it's a matter of what the jury decide.

It's pretty safe to sexually abuse a little kid here, criminally speaking.

It gets less safe as they get older, but your chances of being convicted for it are still damn low.

When kids disclose in therapy, that is legally questionable, as therapy does not, of course, work in the same way as forensic interviews!

A therapist wise in the ways of courts, or just wise, does not, of course, ask leading questions, and, if you are well-informed, therapy disclosures may often end up being potentially forensically useful.......but most kids, if they disclose well after the event, will not be able to meet the strict criteria of being able to recall the date, the time of day, exact place, what they were wearing, what the alleged offender was wearing, what hand, finger/penis was placed where at what exact moment, what item of clothing was removed at what time, and where it was placed etc. etc. etc. etc.

I kind of get the impression that things are less strict in some places, at least, in the USA?

Anyhoo, I guess my point is that, even if systemic abuse is occurring in this cult, I wouldn't be holding my breath that it will come out.

Hence the importance of a cost/benefit assessment.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 10:16 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
fishin' this is from your report

Quote:
''There was a systematic process going on to groom these young girls to become brides,'' said CPS spokesman Darrell Azar, noting that the state had no way to protect from possible future abuse if they stayed on the ranch.

''Removal is always the last option,'' he said. ''In this case, there was no other choice.''

The younger children, under the age of 5, have been allowed to return
to the ranch with their mothers.

No, they haven't been allowed to return. I have no idea where you got that from. According to that same NYTimes article which is less than 2 hours old, all 462 of the children remain in State custody. Numerous other articles mention that the last of the 462 children were moved from the San Angelo Coliseum to temporary foster homes this morning.

Quote:
That is, the will be separated too

Quote:
Adult mothers who have been allowed to stay with their young children since they were taken from a polygamous sect will be separated from them after DNA sampling is completed next week, a child welfare official said Saturday.

The only adult mothers that have been allowed to stay with their children at this point are those who are nursing.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 10:24 pm
Last I heard the state "hopes" to work out visitation soon, but I sure don't get the impression that it is a priority. I think that the state wants to let the mom's sweat a bit. Most have not gone back to the compound because they believe that their only hope of ever getting their kids back to not go back. Also, the plan was to have some of the kids up to 500 miles away.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 10:29 pm
dlowan wrote:
Anyhoo, I guess my point is that, even if systemic abuse is occurring in this cult, I wouldn't be holding my breath that it will come out.

You're probably right. It is absolutely sickening regardless.

I have adopted my child from social services and was for about a year
involved in seminars and lectures about child abuse, and what comes
with it. Very disheartening, very....
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 10:38 pm
[CODE]SAN ANGELO, Texas - The state of Texas made a damning accusation when it rounded up 462 children at a polygamous sect's ranch: The adults are forcing teenage girls into marriage and sex, creating a culture so poisonous that none should be allowed to keep their children.

Rod Parker, a spokesman for the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, contends that the state has essentially said, "If you're a member of this religious group, then you're not allowed to have children."

Attorneys for the families and civil-liberties groups also are crying foul. They say the state should not have taken children away from all church members living at the Yearning For Zion Ranch in Eldorado.

Church members said that not all of them practice polygamy, and some form traditional nuclear families. One sect member whose teenage son is now in foster care testified that she is a divorced single mother.

"Of course, we condemn child abuse and we don't stand up for the perpetration of that," said Lisa Graybill, legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas. But "what the state has done has offended a pretty wide swath of the American people with what appears to be an overreaching action to sweep up all these children."
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 10:45 pm
Quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/26/us/26raid.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 11:22 pm
CalamityJane wrote:

1000 children.

I found the answer to why the number shown on that site is so low. The label they used isn't quite complete...

The complete title from the chart where that data is taken from is "Children in Foster Care Maltreated by Foster Care Provider".

The 2003 chart can be found here:
http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/pubs/cm03/table3_15.htm

The 2003 copy of the original report mentions "A State meets the national standard for this indicator if, of all children in foster care in the State during the period under review, the percentage of children who were the subject of substantiated or indicated maltreatment by a foster parent or facility staff is 0.57% or less"

That 0.57% standard is the same carried over from the 2002 data used in the chart you linked.

So the chart doesn't include any abuse/maltreatment by someone who wasn't a foster parent or facility staff member (i.e. other foster children, natural children of foster parents, siblings of the foster parents, neighbors, etc...)
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 12:07 am
Quote:
In a sweeping indictment of the raid on a secretive polygamist compound in Texas, Aspen attorney Gerry Goldstein is accusing law enforcement there of reckless disregard, unlawful taking of DNA and he is demanding a review of their actions.

At the crux of the 39-page motion Goldstein filed Thursday in the Texas 51st Judicial District Court on behalf of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is a revelation that the man authorities were looking for, Dale Evans Barlow, was in Arizona at the time of the April 3 raid. Texas Rangers searched the polygamist sect's Yearning For Zion Ranch near Eldorado, Texas, for a week after receiving reports from a woman claiming to be a 16-year-old named Sarah Jessop who alleged that Barlow was sexually abusing her. Police, however, now suspect the reports were a prank engineered by a woman in Colorado Springs with a history of false reporting.

"Those officers could have and should have exercised greater diligence in verifying and determining the true whereabouts of a known convicted felon, serving a probated sentence in another state. At the very least, alleging that Dale Barlow was located on the YFZ Ranch without checking with the Arizona Probation Office, these officers knew to be supervising him, constituted a reckless disregard for either standard law enforcement protocol or common sense," reads Goldstein's request for a hearing to investigate the issuance of the search-and-arrest warrants.

The Aspen Daily News obtained the request in advance of its filing.

"Moreover, prior to executing the initial warrant, (Schleicher County Sheriff David Doran) was advised that Dale Barlow was in Arizona and not on the premises sought to be searched. In fact, prior to entering the premises Sheriff Doran actually spoke to Dale Barlow in Arizona by cell phone, confirming his driver license number and the fact that he was in Arizona."

http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/breaking-news-aspen--0
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 12:55 am
CalamityJane wrote:
dlowan wrote:

You're probably right. It is absolutely sickening regardless.

I have adopted my child from social services and was for about a year
involved in seminars and lectures about child abuse, and what comes
with it. Very disheartening, very....

Erm......indeed........but the jury is still out on this cult, you know.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 09:18 am
fishin wrote:
I found the answer to why the number shown on that site is so low. The label they used isn't quite complete...

The complete title from the chart where that data is taken from is "Children in Foster Care Maltreated by Foster Care Provider".

The 2003 copy of the original report mentions "A State meets the national standard for this indicator if, of all children in foster care in the State during the period under review, the percentage of children who were the subject of substantiated or indicated maltreatment by a foster parent or facility staff is 0.57% or less"

That 0.57% standard is the same carried over from the 2002 data used in the chart you linked.

So the chart doesn't include any abuse/maltreatment by someone who wasn't a foster parent or facility staff member (i.e. other foster children, natural children of foster parents, siblings of the foster parents, neighbors, etc...)

fishin, so you think that the abuse stemming from other members living in the household makes up for the difference (1 in 4 abused)?

I am sorry, I might be naive here, but it's not that easy to a) go through the foster care system to become a foster parent, and b) to raise a
"special need" child. I want to think that the majority of foster parents
are in it for the goodness of their heart.

There is no statistic on the break-down of who might be the abuser in
foster care, and there isn't a break-down of figures how many children
are living with a particular foster family.

I sincerely doubt that the difference from 0.57 % to your numbers,
are inflicted by either natural or other foster care children.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 09:23 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
Quote:
The Aspen Daily News obtained the request in advance of its filing

The Aspen Daily News? Well, let's see what my "national Pennysaver" paper is saying to all of this.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 09:50 am
CalamityJane wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
Quote:
The Aspen Daily News obtained the request in advance of its filing

The Aspen Daily News? Well, let's see what my "national Pennysaver" paper is saying to all of this.

Lead counsel for the cult is a long time resident of Aspen. The Aspen Daily News is perhaps more interested in this story than most, and better able to get this story because they have a previous relationship with Gerry Goldstein. I don't know about you, but I find good journalism in some unlikely places, and bad journalism were I would never expect to see it (NY Times comes to mind).
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 10:22 am
CalamityJane wrote:
fishin wrote:

fishin, so you think that the abuse stemming from other members living in the household makes up for the difference (1 in 4 abused)?

You make some very astounding leaps in logic...

The difference in numbers can come from several places. For one, the numbers used in the report the chart came from are only the cases that the state is aware of. Do you presume that the state is aware of and can prove every case of abuse committed by foster parents? Secondly, I pretty clearly listed "neighbors, etc.." as well as family members. Now, I don't know about your neighborhood but my neighbors don't live in my household. The entire concept of neighbors pretty much relies on them living close by but in a seperate household. If they live in the same household they're called "family", "roommates" or "housemates" - not neighbors. Third, it isn't unusual for a standard government reporting system to have very different results from independent surveys. The link I provided earlier listed a dozen or so various studies conducted over a 25 year period. Is every one of those studies wrong?

When I did my work/study with a State child protection agency one of the frequent (daily) issues that came up was foster children that ran away from home and ended up on the streets homeless. Those children (typically teens) were routinely sexually abused. Promiscuous behaviour amongst foster children isn't unusual (whether the child runs away or not).

Quote:
I am sorry, I might be naive here, but it's not that easy to a) go through the foster care system to become a foster parent, and b) to raise a "special need" child. I want to think that the majority of foster parents are in it for the goodness of their heart.

I wish to think the same thing. I'm simply more skeptical about it than you are and I don't ignore the reports of foster parents who accept children and then lock them in cages in their basements. As much as we all might wish that everyone was in the system for the complete and total purpose of improving the lives of these children, there are some that slip through that are in it for money or the access to children for "not very nice" reasons. And even those who are in the system for entirely nobel reasons don't have the ability to completely protect the foster children in their care from others that aren't so nobel.

Quote:

I sincerely doubt that the difference from 0.57 % to your numbers,
are inflicted by either natural or other foster care children.

Well... when you begin with the wrong premise you end up with the wrong conclusion.
0 Replies