Polygamists: Authorities Prepare For the Worst in Texas

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 05:42 pm
Setanta wrote:
By the by Thomas, in case you're too lazy to bother to look it up (and i would highly approve of such an attitude),

Actually, here is something I don't understand about these cases, which I'm too lazy to look up, and onto which you could perhaps shine some light. If the reason for rounding FDLS elders is that they have sex with minors, why isn't the dominant buzzword about Fundamentalist Mormons child abuse? Why is it polygamy?

To take the recent example in this thread, why is there a Senate hearing about "polygamy crimes", not "faith-based child abuse"? There are many cults whose powerful members abuse children, but who aren't polygamous. There are many polyamorous relations between consenting grown-ups, which would probably become group marriages if the legal system supported them. The case of the FDLS, fits much better into the former category than into the latter.

So why are the headlines in this case about polygamy? It seems so besides the point to me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 05:49 pm
To me, it seems, the identifying feature of the groups, in the beginning, is polygamy. It becomes identified in the mind as the defining buzz word. The abuse of children is discovered after the group has been so labeled. (This is an unscientific response, just a thought).
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 05:57 pm
What a lovely Christian way of looking at it ed.

You are to be complimented.

I had thought you an evolution theory fanatic.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 06:08 pm
spendius wrote:
What a lovely Christian way of looking at it ed.

You are to be complimented.

I had thought you an evolution theory fanatic.

So what does Dylan say about it?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 06:14 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
To me, it seems, the identifying feature of the groups, in the beginning, is polygamy.

I can see what you're getting at, but in some sense that just begs the question. Let me give you a counterexample to show what I mean. A few years ago, when the child abuse scandals by Catholic priests came up, would anybody in politics or the media have talked about "Catholicism crimes"? Of course not. Everybody knows that child abuse is one thing, and Catholicism another, generally benign thing. Nobody has trouble distinguishing. Why can't people distinguish polygamy, a benign marital arrangement that hurts noone in and of itself, from child abuse, which is one of the most serious crimes there is?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 06:20 pm
Thomas,

I have seen arguments made that polygamy itself puts children in an abusive situation. One wife, jealous of another wife, may physically punish the children of the other wife.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 06:40 pm
wandeljw wrote:
Thomas,

I have seen arguments made that polygamy itself puts children in an abusive situation. One wife, jealous of another wife, may physically punish the children of the other wife.

Heterosexual and homosexual unions MAY become abusive situations.......yet you give enough credence to the above stupidity that you repeat it. Explanation please.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 06:48 pm
Thomas wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
To me, it seems, the identifying feature of the groups, in the beginning, is polygamy.

I can see what you're getting at, but in some sense that just begs the question. Let me give you a counterexample to show what I mean. A few years ago, when the child abuse scandals by Catholic priests came up, would anybody in politics or the media have talked about "Catholicism crimes"? Of course not. Everybody knows that child abuse is one thing, and Catholicism another, generally benign thing. Nobody has trouble distinguishing. Why can't people distinguish polygamy, a benign marital arrangement that hurts noone in and of itself, from child abuse, which is one of the most serious crimes there is?

But what applies to a monolith such as Catholicism, need not hold for what is viewed as aberrant by the ones affixing labels.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:10 pm
It is also known that polygamous communities expel teenage boys in order to preserve a ratio that allows several wives for each male.

Quote:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:12 pm
Thomas wrote:
Setanta wrote:
By the by Thomas, in case you're too lazy to bother to look it up (and i would highly approve of such an attitude),

Actually, here is something I don't understand about these cases, which I'm too lazy to look up, and onto which you could perhaps shine some light. If the reason for rounding FDLS elders is that they have sex with minors, why isn't the dominant buzzword about Fundamentalist Mormons child abuse? Why is it polygamy?

To take the recent example in this thread, why is there a Senate hearing about "polygamy crimes", not "faith-based child abuse"? There are many cults whose powerful members abuse children, but who aren't polygamous. There are many polyamorous relations between consenting grown-ups, which would probably become group marriages if the legal system supported them. The case of the FDLS, fits much better into the former category than into the latter.

So why are the headlines in this case about polygamy? It seems so besides the point to me.

I don't claim to understand it either--and in fact, i agree that child abuse should be the theme. It is interesting that when authorities seek to prosecute these individuals, child abuse is the crime they go after. I suspect that prosecutors see the child abuse as the easiest crime which they can make stick, and from their point of view, the most dramatic way they can go after such a sect.

I confess that the attitudes of politicians are a mystery to me. I suspect, and don't claim that i know, that politicians feel they are playing to a morally conservative base when they trumpet the issue of polygamy. Thanks to the homosexual marriage issue, people of deep moral conviction (as they see it themselves--i am skeptical in that i think they are selectively, morally blind) feel that the institution of marriage is under attack. It could be that politicians think they have something they can run with by focusing on polygamy. It would be interesting to know if they've done focus group research on this.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:51 pm
Thomas wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Not sure.

Perhaps cos people used to be more excited by polygamy than by child abuse?

Also, they seem to be factually, if not logically, intertwined....since the people who get to choose the wives seem to fancy very small ones rawther often. They are not alone in this, but they are unusual in the west now for seeking to institutionalize it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:56 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Thomas wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

But what applies to a monolith such as Catholicism, need not hold for what is viewed as aberrant by the ones affixing labels.

Actually, a lot of people HAVE called it variations of "Catholic abuse"....

For ages here I can recall arguing that it was not so much a feature of the Catholic church, but of people having a lot of access to kids combined with a lot of power, and that I suspected child abuse would be very common wherever those conditions were met.

I also suspct that the Mormon cult abuse is less a result of the faith, as such, and more of the licence it gives a group of men to have huge amounts of control over the minds and bodies of people they want to screw.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:58 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
wandeljw wrote:
Thomas,

Heterosexual and homosexual unions MAY become abusive situations.......yet you give enough credence to the above stupidity that you repeat it. Explanation please.

It is an example of a negative consequence associated with polygamy. Another negative consequence would be expelling teenage boys to preserve a certain ratio of men to women. The underage pregnancy problem is specifically related to the policies of Warren Jeffs.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:02 pm
wandeljw wrote:
Thomas,

What is the evidence behind these arguments? Is it any better than the "evidence" that right wing think tank publications present against gay marriage, and against same-sex couples raising children?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:06 pm
I don't see that poygamay automatically leads to abuse of children. Of course, I have nothing to go on, except my own perception.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:09 pm
Setanta wrote:
I confess that the attitudes of politicians are a mystery to me. I suspect, and don't claim that i know, that politicians feel they are playing to a morally conservative base when they trumpet the issue of polygamy.

Sounds plausible. Especially because by spinning it like that, they avoid having to talk about the darker side of religious faith as a facilitator of child abuse. Which, of course, would piss off much of the morally conservative base.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:09 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I don't see that poygamay automatically leads to abuse of children. Of course, I have othing to go on, except my own perception.

Er..is anyone arguing that it does automatically?

This having been raised, though, I do wonder if it normally reflects a highly patriarchal culture, where women and children have little power?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:12 pm
dlowan wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
I don't see that poygamay automatically leads to abuse of children. Of course, I have othing to go on, except my own perception.

This having been raised, though, I do wonder if it normally reflects a highly patriarchal culture, where women and children have little power?

Just took it from wandel's post:

I have seen arguments made that polygamy itself puts children in an abusive situation.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:14 pm
dlowan wrote:

Wandel JW sure sounds like it. At least he relays anonymous opinions, which he doesn't distance himself from, that sure sound like it.

wandeljw wrote:
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 09:15 pm
This having been raised, though, I do wonder if it normally reflects a highly patriarchal culture, where women and children have little power? ~ Dlowan

This is them in a nutshell.

I'm tryin' Real hard to stay outta this hellhole...

There is nothing nice about these folks.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies