Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 10:54 am
Quote:
For Immediate Release:
Friday, June 23, 2006
512-463-4070

Comptroller Strayhorn Statement
On Foster Care Abuse
Friday, June 23, 2006
(Austin)-- "In April 2004 I said I would give our forgotten children in foster care something they need - a voice.

"I have been and I will continue to be their voice. This Governor's Health and Human Services Commission continues to stonewall my investigation and this governor continues to hide the truth.

"In October 2004, I urged Gov. Perry to immediately create a Family and Protective Services Crisis Management Team by executive order to finally take serious steps to save children's lives. Now it is June 2006.

"Gov. Perry's failure to act is unconscionable.

"In November 2004, I launched an investigation into possible Medicaid prescription drug fraud and abuse in our state's foster care system.

"I am here today to release disturbing information found during my investigation about the deaths, poisonings, rapes and pregnancies of children in our state's foster care system.

"I found, from information provided by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, in Fiscal 2003, 30 foster children died in our state's care; in Fiscal 2004, 38 foster children died; and in Fiscal 2005, 48 foster children died.

"Data shows that while the number of foster children in our state's care increased 24 percent from 26,133 in Fiscal 2003 to 32,474 in Fiscal 2005, the number of deaths increased 60 percent.

"If you compare the number of deaths of children in our state's population to the number of deaths in our state's foster care system, a child is four times more likely to die in our state's foster care system.

"Based on Fiscal 2004 data provided by the Health and Human Services Commission, about 100 children received treatment for poisoning from medications; 63 foster children received medical treatment for rape that occurred while in the foster care system; and 142 children gave birth while in the state foster care system.

"As alarming as these cases are, we can only imagine how much worse the Fiscal 2005 data is because Gov. Perry's Health and Human Services Commission has refused to provide the data needed to complete my investigation.

"When I called on Gov. Perry in October 2004 to create a Crisis Management Team, I said the crisis was minute-by-minute and child-by-child.

"In Fiscal 2004, four-year old twin boys living in the same foster home received medical treatment in the hospital for rape.

"A five-year old boy in the same foster home received medical treatment in the hospital for rape two days later.

"A 15-year old girl who was not pregnant when she entered our state's foster care system in May 2002 gave birth in February 2004.

"The state is supposed to be protecting our forgotten children, but in all too many cases these children are taken from one abusive situation and placed in another abusive situation. Many children are in more abusive situations now than they were before the state intervened. Children are being neglected and abused and are dying.
"As reported by the media, a 12-year-old boy died in December 2005, while in our state's care at a facility that treats children with learning disabilities and emotional problems. The boy suffocated while being restrained from behind by an employee of the facility.

"Another boy in our state's care at the same facility died May 30, after drowning in a creek during a May 6 bicycle outing.

"A three-year old was treated for poisoning from an atypical, mind-altering antipsychotic drug. These drugs are not approved by the Food and Drug Administration for children under the age of 18 years old.

"Gov. Perry's failure to create a Crisis Management Team is unconscionable. The crisis is minute-by-minute and child-by-child. I renew my call. He must act now to save children's lives.

"I discovered the alarming number of deaths, poisonings, rapes and pregnancies while conducting my investigation into potential prescription drug fraud and abuse in the state's foster care system.

"I launched my investigation in November 2004, after my report, Forgotten Children, uncovered the fact that large numbers of psychotropic drugs are being prescribed to children in the foster care system, even though, according to the FDA, many of these drugs are not approved for children and have serious side effects such as suicidal tendencies, diabetes, and cardiac arrhythmia.

"Since that time, repeated and continuing roadblocks and stonewalling have been encountered by me and my staff in attempting to secure basic and necessary data from the Health and Human Services Commission to complete my investigation.

"It has been 19 months and 25 letters, emails, meetings and phone calls since I first requested foster care and corresponding Medicaid data from HHSC.

"The Commission finally provided Fiscal 2004 data. But, 10 months into Fiscal 2006, we have yet to receive the Fiscal 2005 data, which we know has been available for months and months.

"In March 2006, I requested all of the same data for Fiscal 2005.

"The Governor's commission has repeatedly thrown up roadblocks and stonewalled my investigation.

"We have had a signed Memorandum of Understanding, drafted by HHSC, at its offices since May 2005, agreeing in the Commission's own language to the confidentiality of this information.

"Claiming confidentiality, HHSC to this day refuses to cooperate and provide the Fiscal 2005 data needed to complete my investigation, despite that the statute requires that they cooperate and the Court of Appeals ruled on June 16 that HHSC's view about the confidentiality of its records is clearly wrong.

"What I have found from the information that was made available should be and is of grave concern, but the picture painted by Gov. Perry's Health and Human Services Commission's secret 2005 data must paint an even grimmer picture on all fronts.

"The people of Texas can handle the truth. What they will not tolerate is Gov. Perry's callous indifference in hiding the truth and placing our forgotten children at high risk.

"On Thursday, June 29, my findings will be reported to the Medicaid and Public Assistance Fraud Oversight Task Force so there will be a public record of this neglect and abuse.

"With every breath of air in Carole Keeton Strayhorn's lungs, I will continue to be the voice for these forgotten, neglected, abused, and dead children.

"There should have been a Crisis Management Team put into action in October 2004. It must be put in action now to prevent any more neglect, abuse and deaths of our more than 32,000 children in our state's foster care system.

"Gov. Perry is hiding the truth. And in hiding the truth he is jeopardizing our forgotten children's lives. That makes me one heartbroken Grandma."

http://www.window.state.tx.us/news/60623statement.html
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 11:15 am
Quote:
Give system time to work in case of FLDS children
(JIM SHIELDS, Opinion Essay, Houston Chronicle, April 24, 2008)

I spend my days fighting to save the lives of victims of child abuse, so I have a unique perspective on the turmoil of the past few weeks at the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints compound near the West Texas town of Eldorado.

The organization I work for and I have been very critical of the systems (child welfare, criminal justice and the family courts) that we taxpayers fund to protect our children. So make no mistake, I am not a defender of "the system."

That being said, I think that we all need to take a deep breath and allow "the system" to do its work. And I am very hopeful that the children of Eldorado will be well served this time because it is my experience that "what's watched, works." In other words, the cracks, or gaping chasms if you prefer, in our child protective systems will be closed because the whole world is watching.

Some are criticizing Child Protective Services (CPS) because it removed 437 children from an environment that the agency deemed dangerous.

CPS was doing its job. Our laws give CPS this extraordinary power because we citizens want protectors of children to have as few obstacles as possible to do their jobs.

In fact, CPS does not use these powers frequently enough. The inspector general of the state commission that oversees CPS issued a report a few years back that said that in more than 75 percent of the cases where CPS knows there is imminent danger to a child, CPS returns the child to the dangerous home.

Was there ample evidence in the FLDS case for CPS to take such drastic action as removing the children from their homes? In a word, yes. The system failure is not that CPS acted too quickly but that it took so long to act, knowing what has been known for years.

Polygamy and child abuse are crimes. No one doubts that polygamy has been going on. So far as I know, that crime has never been prosecuted.

Child abuse is a much more serious matter. Soon, the state's prosecutors will have DNA evidence to determine if underage girls have been raped, and prosecutors will be able to identify the rapist. We will see convictions and men will go to jail.

The emotional abuse that the children may have suffered will be another matter, but from my vantage point the emotional abuse is extreme.

What I have learned from recent research studies on the brain is that the body will poison the brain when a person suffers severe stress.

For example, a soldier in Iraq driving across the desert has to be on high alert because he does not know what is behind the next rock, bridge or abandoned car. I understand that pictures taken of the brains of soldiers under such severe stress show physical signs of brain trauma (not unlike the pictures taken when there is concussive trauma to the brain) that relate directly to emotional disorders.

Women who live with an abuser suffer from this exact form of stress. One minute the abuser is saying how much he loves you, the next minute he is banging your head against the wall. Never knowing when the explosion will come causes the body to self-inflict trauma to the brain.

I have learned from escapees from the FLDS compounds that "keep sweet" is code language for a very severe form of mind control. "Keep sweet" means to stifle all normal human emotions such as anger, fear, jealousy or sadness.

When one man has to control several women, this is a very effective command, especially when infractions are met with swift humiliation and punishment. Watching the FLDS ladies "keep sweet" in TV interviews makes my skin crawl.

This abuse of the women trickles down to the children in a very predictable way. To the men of FLDS and the outside world, the women of FLDS appear very docile and controlled. But when the women are alone with the children, it is common for one woman to brutalize the children of a rival wife. This is done to exact payback for a punishment or humiliation suffered at the hands of a man who was instigated by the rival wife.

The innocent children then have no way of knowing when they will be punished, nor will they have any warning. This is emotional abuse, and we know that this form of abuse has long-term effects.

Removing a child from her home is always traumatic and should never be done without careful consideration.

The flip side of that argument is that if errors are going to be made, it is better to err on the side of safety for the child. We will be watching as this process goes forward and all of us want to do the right thing. I believe that we will.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 11:31 am
The universal opinion is that these kids come from a very unusual upbringing, but that is not necessarily abuse. However, because of their upbringing they are at very high risk of being abused once they are out of the cult. The charges being made against the cult are actually an argument for why the state should have bent over backwards to resist removing these kids from their environment until it was decided what should become of them. Their upbringing also makes their removal from the only environment they know particularly traumatic to them, far worse than the normal trauma of being put into the foster care system. Remember also that none of these kids thinks that they have been abused, the argument that they are happy to be out of the abusive cult (made by someone...Calamity maybe??) shows a complete lack of understanding of where these kids are emotionally.

The main flaw of the argument above is that attention will be very brief, America's attention span is that of a gnat. The argument that these kids will be OK in a system that can not protect normal kids worth a damn because of people watching betrays a complete ignorance of how America operates. In addition, people watching has not prevented all of the abuse these cult members have already suffered, and continue to suffer, at the hands of the state.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 12:14 pm
fishin wrote:
The difference in numbers can come from several places. For one, the numbers used in the report the chart came from are only the cases that the state is aware of. Do you presume that the state is aware of and can prove every case of abuse committed by foster parents? Secondly, I pretty clearly listed "neighbors, etc.." as well as family members. Now, I don't know about your neighborhood but my neighbors don't live in my household. The entire concept of neighbors pretty much relies on them living close by but in a seperate household. If they live in the same household they're called "family", "roommates" or "housemates" - not neighbors.

Pretty far fetched what you're saying, fishin. In order to justify your
numbers, you're roaming around the neighborhood to find possible suspects that may harm children in foster care that are not added in the statistics from the government site.

Quote:
When I did my work/study with a State child protection agency one of the frequent (daily) issues that came up was foster children that ran away from home and ended up on the streets homeless. Those children (typically teens) were routinely sexually abused. Promiscuous behaviour amongst foster children isn't unusual (whether the child runs away or not).

Again, children that ran away and were sexually abused on the streets
doesn't necessarily apply to kids/teens from foster care only. All children
out on the streets are prey to criminals.

Quote:
I wish to think the same thing. I'm simply more skeptical about it than you are and I don't ignore the reports of foster parents who accept children and then lock them in cages in their basements.

I does happen, no denying it here, but the numbers are low compared
to the majority of foster parents who do provide a good home and
environment for special needs children. You make them out to be all
monsters, and that simply isn't true.

Quote:
Well... when you begin with the wrong premise you end up with the wrong conclusion.

I don't. I am simply more optimistic about the foster care system than
you are, that's all ,and that is in addition to the statistics that show
a far lower number of abuse, than what you have come up in your interpretation to include the entire neighborhood and the dog.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 12:23 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
Remember also that none of these kids thinks that they have been abused, the argument that they are happy to be out of the abusive cult (made by someone...Calamity maybe??) shows a complete lack of understanding of where these kids are emotionally.

What the hell are you talking about again? No one ever said that
children are happy and elated if removed from their home - on the contrary.
Even severely abused children rather remain in their home than being
taken to unfamiliar grounds.

Almost all abused children need extensive therapy, and receive
it through state appointed sources, but it doesn't mean they need to be
kept in an abusive home. There is trauma either way, but with removing
them from an abusive home, they have a chance to heal. Leaving them
in an abusive home, they have no chance at all. Do you understand the
difference? Probably not!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 12:52 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
Remember also that none of these kids thinks that they have been abused, the argument that they are happy to be out of the abusive cult (made by someone...Calamity maybe??) shows a complete lack of understanding of where these kids are emotionally.

What the hell are you talking about again? No one ever said that
children are happy and elated if removed from their home - on the contrary.
Even severely abused children rather remain in their home than being
taken to unfamiliar grounds.

Almost all abused children need extensive therapy, and receive
it through state appointed sources, but it doesn't mean they need to be
kept in an abusive home. There is trauma either way, but with removing
them from an abusive home, they have a chance to heal. Leaving them
in an abusive home, they have no chance at all. Do you understand the
difference? Probably not!

There has been no finding of abuse, there has been a snap opinion that these kids are at risk. However, they are also at risk in a foster care system that can not manage day to day operations, to say nothing of this specialized highly problematic situation. Besides, what would be the risk of allowing them to remain in the compound for a few months while this is all sorted out with supervision by way of state workers on site?? The risk benefit evaluation that lead to the removal of these kids makes no sense based upon what information is public. We know that the state had a Jones for this cult, I am not willing to take the state at its word that it had cause, nor do trust that the state has been forced by the courts to document reasonable cause. The Texas courts are notoriously poor in administering justice.

I have hopes that Justice will prevail, which probably means these kids being return to the compound and the state being admonished by the courts, but the individuals have already been irreparably damaged by the state.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 06:01 pm
On what basis do you say it was a "snap opinion" they were at risk?

Of course there has been no "finding" of abuse...the matter is being investigated. That's what an investigation is.....attempting to gather evidence to see if wrongdoing has been committed.

What expertise do you have re whether children ought to be removed during investigation?

I have several times here explained why this might have occurred, explanations to which you have made no comment, but simply continue to state it was unjustified.

Is it your contention, for example, that by supervision in the compound, that supervisors ought to have been with each child 24 hours a day? Do you have good reason for believing that this would have protected the kids from INFLUENCE on their statements? If so, why?

The reasons I have discussed include integrity of the investigative process, and reports in the media that staff conducting the investigation felt threatened.

On what basis do you claim "irreparable damage" re the removal?

Just for starters, by the way, you are making exactly the mistake you claim CJ is making...assuming there has been abuse....only in mirror form...assuming there has been no abuse.

I do not ASSUME the removal to have been justified, but I have not seen you present a good argument based upon more than what appears to be a very emotional and fixed response to what has occurred that justifies your very fixed decision that it was not.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 06:41 pm
dlowan wrote:

Of course there has been no "finding" of abuse...the matter is being investigated.

What expertise do you have re whether children ought to be removed during investigation?

Just for starters, by the way, you are making exactly the mistake you claim CJ is making...assuming there has been abuse....only in mirror form...assuming there has been no abuse.

One state worker made the call, and one judge signed off on it, that is all. Plus the time line is well documented. I think that Ms Voss in her own words says that she made a snap decision, wholly by herself, and gives no reason why the taking of the children had to be done immediately.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/041808dntexCPShearings.3bd16d8.html

I have no expertise, I read the experts and adopt the reasoning of those who make the most sense. If you are arguing that only experts have the right to speak you and I need to have a heart to heart of what freedom and free speech means. I have linked to experts who agree with my view. I have every expectation that my view will carry the day as the process plays out.

The abuse on the part of the state is clear and convincing. Except in extreme situations Americans should not be taken into custody, families should not be forcibly separated, with out due process. Ms Voss gives as her reason for her taking away the kids that the community believes and teaches that girls should marry young and have babies early. She calls this abuse, but this is her opinion only. The law says that girls can marry at 16, so if they wait till that age and don't have sex with the adult who is their husband till that time then all laws have been followed. If the state is going to regulate marriage, and if the individuals follow those laws, then how can their behavior be unlawful?? In any case, before deciding that a communities belief system constitutes abuse and not allowing an entire community to keep their kids the justice system must be allowed to work.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 06:59 pm
Quote:

By David A. Fahrenthold
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, April 27, 2008; Page A03

ELDORADO, Tex. -- The ironic thing is that before the big sheriff's department armored personnel carrier appeared outside the Yearning for Zion Ranch, it was starting to seem as though America had finally figured out how to live with its polygamists.

For more than a century, authorities had alternately persecuted and ignored the groups practicing plural marriage around the West -- splinters from mainstream Mormonism, splinters of splinters. Mostly, they ignored them.

But, in the past few years, officials in some states have begun trying to bring these groups out of the shadows. They offered a deal: Marry however often you want, but don't marry children. A Supreme Court case on gay sex also provided unlikely help.

Then came Eldorado.

On April 3, Texas authorities raided the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints' compound here, then removed more than 450 children. Now, Texas seems headed for exactly the kind of wrenching, head-on fight that other states have tried to avoid.

Their case will ask: Does this polygamous group deserve a place -- and the right to raise children -- in modern society?

"The people in Utah and Arizona simply aren't doing it" this way, said James W. Paulsen, a professor and expert on polygamy at South Texas College of Law in Houston. "The idea of walking in and shutting down the entire group hasn't been tried in more than 50 years. And the last time it was, then it was an abject failure."

Things have quieted down now in West Texas, more than three weeks after law enforcement officers raided the Yearning for Zion Ranch. The sect's children have been scattered to foster care around the state while officials use DNA tests to trace family relationships.

Now comes a legal fight with a twist. The state will argue that the sect's children are at risk at the compound, but not because every one of them has been physically or sexually abused.

Instead, they will say that the culture of the church, which encouraged girls to marry and bear children in their early teens, was a danger to any child immersed in it.

"There was a pervasive belief that children having children was what they were supposed to do," said Patrick Crimmins, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services.

To those who study polygamist cultures, the crackdown seems like something out of the distant past. Something that, in the past, had reliably backfired.

In 1953, for instance, a raid on a polygamist settlement on the Utah-Arizona border ended with wailing mothers, a public outcry and the return of dozens of seized children.

After that, observers say, the two states often tried their best to pretend that these groups didn't exist. The polygamists usually returned the favor. "It was sort of a mutual-consent abandonment," said Terry Goddard, the attorney general of Arizona.

But, in the past five years or so, Utah has made an unprecedented outreach to the groups, sending out bureaucrats to their settlements and making an implicit bargain with them about the law.

"We're not going to prosecute people solely for adult bigamy," said Paul Murphy of the Utah Attorney General's Office. But, he said, the state will look aggressively for other crimes, such as welfare fraud and sex with children. Arizona has made similar efforts, trying to target individual violations of the law, not entire communities.

"They definitely were trying to open lines of communication," said Sarah Barringer Gordon, a professor of history and law at the University of Pennsylvania. "And they would very much like to have these people become integrated into the society." Still, Gordon said, in many cases the groups have been wary.

The atmosphere of openness was reinforced by a 2003 Supreme Court decision invalidating laws against sodomy. At a distant point on the American social spectrum, polygamists saw another implication: The police would stay out of their bedrooms, as well.

But then, on April 3, there they were.

In the immediate sense, the raid may have happened because of a hoax. Telephone calls reporting abuse at the ranch have been linked to a woman in Colorado with an alleged history of false abuse complaints.

But both Texas and the polygamists had been courting a confrontation. Under "prophet" Warren Jeffs -- now in jail in Arizona -- the fundamentalist sect seemed to be ordering more underage marriages. And a West Texas representative sponsored a bill in 2005 that set new laws seemingly targeted at polygamists.

Here in Eldorado, the small town closest to the compound, residents still say they're glad the raid happened.

"It's not legal, and it's wrong, the way they were living," said Rosa Martinez, behind the counter at her Rosita's Casita restaurant.

But legal experts say the case could easily become a quagmire. They say Texas has an unusual burden: It has to prove not spankings or sexual abuse, but the dangers of an entire belief system.

"Can they say with a straight face that's in the best interest of these children, to be taken away from their parents?" asked Ken Driggs, a public defender in Georgia who has done extensive research on polygamy and the law. "Does government want to get in there and say, 'This is a good religion,' or 'This is not a good religion?' "

Kenneth Lanning, a retired FBI agent who worked on crimes against children, said courts are likely to order that at least some of the children be returned to their parents. But how should the state handle that, if it has said the parents are part of a poisonous culture?

"You don't want to put it back the way it was," Lanning said. "But how are you going to leave it?"

In Utah and Arizona, nonprofit groups and government officials say they've already heard from other polygamous groups, worried that the Texas case may signal an end to their own detente.

Here in West Texas, the remaining members of the Eldorado sect have a more immediate demand.

"We want our children to come home," said Dan, 24, after a hearing this past week at the courthouse in San Angelo, Tex. He declined to give his last name.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/26/AR2008042601742_2.html
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 07:01 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Of course there has been no "finding" of abuse...the matter is being investigated.

One state worker made the call, and one judge signed off on it, that is all. Plus the time line is well documented. I think that Ms Voss in her own words says that she made a snap decision, wholly by herself, and gives no reason why the taking of the children had to be done immediately.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/041808dntexCPShearings.3bd16d8.html

I have no expertise, I read the experts and adopt the reasoning of those who make the most sense. If you are arguing that only experts have the right to speak you and I need to have a heart to heart of what freedom and free speech means. I have linked to experts who agree with my view. I have every expectation that my view will carry the day as the process plays out.

The abuse on the part of the state is clear and convincing. Except in extreme situations Americans should not be taken into custody, families should not be forcibly separated, with out due process. Ms Voss gives as her reason for her taking away the kids that the community believes and teaches that girls should marry young and have babies early. She calls this abuse, but this is her opinion only. The law says that girls can marry at 16, so if they wait till that age and don't have sex with the adult who is their husband till that time then all laws have been followed. If the state is going to regulate marriage, and if the individuals follow those laws, then how can their behavior be unlawful?? In any case, before deciding that a communities belief system constitutes abuse and not allowing an entire community to keep their kids the justice system must be allowed to work.

Asking for your expertise when making statements that read much like fiats is not the same as denying your right to say whatever you want....I am simply attempting to discover whether you have any more basis for your statements than emotion and a personal belief system.

The latter two are all I can see at the moment.

I see no comprehension of the complexity of the situation in your writings currently (though I did see such previously, when you spoke of the need for the cult to examine itself) nor any openess to entertain the possibility of a view different from your own having any possible reasonable basis.

I have looked at your article, and I see no basis for your contention about a baseless "snap decision", nor that anyone is trying to interfere with the marriage laws...they speak of UNDERAGE marriage and sexual activity with minors, that is pervasive and constitutes risk of what is defined under the law as unlawful sexual activity.

You keep using articles that present a reasonably balanced view (as far as I am able to determine) as though they supported you, or you select from articles a small piece that seems to support you, or articles written by frank hired advocates (the one by the lawyer for the cult.)

Given that the judicial system is, indeed, reviewing the decision, as it ought, I can, again, see no reasonable base for your ongoing rather dramatic charges against the state.

I would be interested, if you care to discuss it, and IF my intuition is correct, what it is that seems to make this an issue of such personal importance for you.

I have done so, as has CJ.

If, as I may well have done, I missed your citing of what you consider to be an informed source, I am very happy to read it if you will cite it again.

Heaven knows, I am willing to see bad practice in a state which routinely murders people in its execution chamber!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 07:07 pm
dlowan wrote:

I would be interested, if you care to discuss it, and IF my intuition is correct, what it is that seems to make this an issue of such personal importance for you.

I have done so, as has CJ.

If, as I may well have done, I missed your citing of what you consider to be an informed source, I am very happy to read it if you will cite it again.

I take unreasonable and I think unconstitutional behaviour on the part of the state personally, that is my stake in the matter.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 07:21 pm
From http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/041808dntexCPShearings.3bd16d8.html

"Meanwhile, some of attorneys for the children who have been coordinating the overall effort to represent the kids met with church representatives Wednesday night and Thursday on a possible settlement: for the men to leave the ranch and the women and children to be allowed to live there under CPS supervision.""

This is the option that I would personally have wished to see explored before this. I think it would most certainly have been explored here, as it fits best with how abuse investigations are conducted here.

Once again, though, it still allows for a lot of influence from the adults.

I have been searching for research on the net, and only found one article that looks really interesting so far, but I can only access the abstract, which is kind of interesting:

NCJ Number: NCJ 136680
Title: Investigations of Child Abuse/Neglect Allegations in Religious Cults: A Case Study in Vermont
Journal: Behavioral Sciences and the Law Volume:10 Issue:1 Dated:(Winter 1992) Pages:75-88
Author(s): V L Malcarne ; J D Burchard
Publication Date: 1992
Pages: 14
Type: Legislation/policy analysis
Origin: United States
Language: English
Annotation: After considering the general problems associated with the investigation of allegations of child abuse in religious cults, this article illustrates these problems in a Vermont case and proposes legislation tailored to investigations of child abuse in religious cults.
Abstract: Attempts by State agencies to investigate allegations of child abuse and neglect against uncooperative religious cults have proven particularly challenging, since the nature of these groups makes identification of and access to child and adult members problematic. These problems were evident in the investigation of alleged child abuse in The Community in Island Pond in Vermont. In the face of collective noncompliance with investigative mandates, Vermont authorities spent almost 2 years in unsuccessful efforts to investigate many reports of child physical abuse in the religious cult. Statutes that mandate investigations of child abuse and neglect, as well as those which permit the taking of children into State custody, should contain language that recognizes the possibility for abuse and neglect in a cult setting. Special attention should be given to the need for nonconsensual access as a last resort in situations where there is reason to believe the children will be removed from the jurisdiction and where other forms of access are unsuccessful. 18 references
Main Term(s): Child abuse investigations ; Cults
Index Term(s): State laws ; Vermont

I'd be really interested if anyone else finds something useful.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 07:36 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
fishin wrote:
The difference in numbers can come from several places. For one, the numbers used in the report the chart came from are only the cases that the state is aware of. Do you presume that the state is aware of and can prove every case of abuse committed by foster parents? Secondly, I pretty clearly listed "neighbors, etc.." as well as family members. Now, I don't know about your neighborhood but my neighbors don't live in my household. The entire concept of neighbors pretty much relies on them living close by but in a seperate household. If they live in the same household they're called "family", "roommates" or "housemates" - not neighbors.

numbers, you're roaming around the neighborhood to find possible suspects that may harm children in foster care that are not added in the statistics from the government site.

So now it's MY fault that YOUR evidence doesn't list abuses committed by people who aren't foster parents? Sorry, that's entirely due to your own incompetence. You can't pin that on me.

I don't have to justify my numbers. The links I provided support my contention. You, on the other hand, have a big fat nothing to justify your's. YOUR stats show proven cases committed by foster parents and only cases committed by foster parents. Now all you have to do is prove that there aren't any unproven cases committed by foster parents and that foster children never come in contact with any one else in the world and your numbers will mean something. In the meantime they show squat. I do notice however that you continue to avoid all of the other reports listed in the other link I provided. I guess those studies don't support your contenetion, huh?

Quote:
Quote:
When I did my work/study with a State child protection agency one of the frequent (daily) issues that came up was foster children that ran away from home and ended up on the streets homeless. Those children (typically teens) were routinely sexually abused. Promiscuous behaviour amongst foster children isn't unusual (whether the child runs away or not).

Ah! More wonderful logic from you. 1+1=3! How is what may or may not happen to kids who aren't in state care in any way relevant to this discussion? You've dropped off the deep end...

Quote:
Quote:
I wish to think the same thing. I'm simply more skeptical about it than you are and I don't ignore the reports of foster parents who accept children and then lock them in cages in their basements.

How is it that you come up with this crap? You know, you are usually a fairly intelligent person but for whatever reason, you've been extremely stupid in this discussion. Please point to one single instance where I have stated that all foster parents are monsters. For that matter, point to a single instance where I have said that a majority of foster parents are monsters.

Quote:
Quote:
Well... when you begin with the wrong premise you end up with the wrong conclusion.

a far lower number of abuse, than what you have come up in your interpretation to include the entire neighborhood and the dog.

Yes... your statisics... exactly ONE statistic from exactly ONE report that provides an incomplete picture. Of course, every foster child is isolated and never comes in contact with anyone but their foster parents right? Is that what you are tying to claim? Because that is the ONLY way that your one stat can mean anything. Your total, complete and willful ignorance is astounding.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 07:39 pm
dlowan wrote:
From http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/041808dntexCPShearings.3bd16d8.html

"Meanwhile, some of attorneys for the children who have been coordinating the overall effort to represent the kids met with church representatives Wednesday night and Thursday on a possible settlement: for the men to leave the ranch and the women and children to be allowed to live there under CPS supervision.""

This is the option that I would personally have wished to see explored before this. I think it would most certainly have been explored here, as it fits best with how abuse investigations are conducted here.

Had the matter been determined by the courts after due process such a thing may have been done, however Ms Voss was very clear that she did not think that the kids should be at the compound, and she felt that the kids should never go back to the compound. Her personal opinion and bias was allowed to rule that day, even though her ideas and plans may not be the best available. That is the inevitable problem when a state both gives the child protection agency broad rights to remove children with out due process, and allows individual agency workers carte blanche in determining the best course of action. Not all states are as backwards as Texas, when it comes to a whole host of things Texas is about as bad as America has to offer.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 08:19 pm
You can drop your condescending tone with me, fishin.

Nowhere did I imply that you said that all foster parents lock up the
kids in the basement. You're trying to play with words, a rather stupid
game.

Fact is: you said that " 1 in 4 children is sexually abused while in the State's care after being removed from their home and as many as 60% can expect to be mentally or physically abused while in foster care."

You have yet to bring a legitimate source for this, or do you think your
watchdog site is it? I question that in the same manner you question
my source given from the governmental child welfare/foster care. Yes
it is only one source, but what better source than the government entity
who is responsible for foster care.

I may be ignorant towards your claims, but I am never am ignorant towards children and protecting them.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 08:26 pm
CalamityJane wrote:

Nowhere did I imply that you said that all foster parents lock up the
kids in the basement. You're trying to play with words, a rather stupid
game.

Fact is: you said that " 1 in 4 children is sexually abused while in the State's care after being removed from their home and as many as 60% can expect to be mentally or physically abused while in foster care."

I may be ignorant towards your claims, but I am never am ignorant towards children and protecting them.

OLD data but good enough to make the point, the number appears to be for all kinds of abuse, not sexual abuse:
Quote:
One of the most comprehensive surveys of abuse in foster care was conducted in conjunction with a Baltimore lawsuit. Trudy Festinger, head of the Department of Research at the New York University School of Social Work, determined that over 28 per cent of the children in state care had been abused while in the system.

Reviewed cases depicted "a pattern of physical, sexual and emotional abuses" inflicted upon children in the custody of the Baltimore Department.

Cases reviewed as the trial progressed revealed children who had suffered continuous sexual and physical abuse or neglect in foster homes known to be inadequate by the Department. Cases included that of sexual abuse of young girls by their foster fathers, and that of a young girl who contracted gonorrhea of the throat as a result of sexual abuse in an unlicenced foster home.[1]

In Louisiana, a study conducted in conjunction with a civil suit found that 21 percent of abuse or neglect cases involved foster homes.[2]

In another Louisiana case, one in which thousands of pages of evidence were reviewed, and extensive testimony and depositions were taken, it was discovered that hundreds of foster children had been shipped out of the state to Texas.

Stephen Berzon of the Children's Defense Fund explained the shocking findings of the court before a Congressional subcommitte, saying: "children were physically abused, handcuffed, beaten, chained, and tied up, kept in cages, and overdrugged with psychotropic medication for institutional convenience."[3]

In Missouri, a 1981 study found that 57 percent of the sample children were placed in foster care settings that put them "at the very least at a high risk of abuse or neglect."[4]

A later report issued in 1987 found that 25 percent of the children in the Missouri sample group had been victims of "abuse or inappropriate punishment."

Children's Rights Project attorney Marcia Robinson Lowry described the findings of the Missouri review before the Select Committee on Children, Youth and Families:

The most troubling result of the Kansas City review was the level of abuse, undetected or unreported, in foster homes. 25% of the children in the sample were the subject of abuse or inappropriate punishment. 88% of those reports were not properly investigated.[5]

http://www.liftingtheveil.org/foster04.htm
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 08:51 pm
Did Ms Voss follow the guildlines? I dont think so;
Quote:
Whenever a best interests determination is required, the following factors* shall be considered in the context of the child's or youth's age and developmental needs:

The physical safety and welfare of the child or youth, including food, shelter, health, and clothing
The development of the child's or youth's identity
The child's or youth's background and ties, including familial, cultural, racial, ethnic, language, and religious;
The child's or youth's sense of permanent attachments, including:
Where the child or youth actually feels love, attachment, and sense of being valued
The child's or youth's sense of security
The child's or youth's sense of familiarity
The least disruptive placement alternative for the child or youth
The child's or youth's wishes and long-term goals
The child's or youth's community ties, including church, school, and friends
The physical, emotional, mental health, and educational needs of the child or youth, now and in the future
The child's or youth's need for legal permanence (reunification, guardianship, and adoption)
The child's or youth's need for stability and continuity of relationships with kin, parent figures, and siblings
The risks attendant to entering and being in foster care
The probability of success of any (permanent or temporary) placement arrangement

http://www.nacac.org/policy/positions.html#best
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 09:02 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Had the matter been determined by the courts after due process such a thing may have been done, however Ms Voss was very clear that she did not think that the kids should be at the compound, and she felt that the kids should never go back to the compound. Her personal opinion and bias was allowed to rule that day, even though her ideas and plans may not be the best available. That is the inevitable problem when a state both gives the child protection agency broad rights to remove children with out due process, and allows individual agency workers carte blanche in determining the best course of action. Not all states are as backwards as Texas, when it comes to a whole host of things Texas is about as bad as America has to offer.

I would be surprised if this were an individual decision by Miss Voss or anyone else. I would have thought that she was the court spokesperson for the department.

Are you assuming that it was an individual decision, in which case what evidence do you have, or are you arguing that it is normal practice for removal decisions to be made by one person without consultation in Texas? If you are arguing the latter, I would be interested to see what evidence you have for that as well.

Once again, I am not saying that you are wrong, but it is so utterly counter to all child abuse investigation practice that I am aware of, that I am not prepared to believe it without some evidence.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 09:16 pm
CalamityJane wrote:

And you can quit pretending you know what the hell you are talking about.

Quote:
Nowhere did I imply that you said that all foster parents lock up the kids in the basement. You're trying to play with words, a rather stupid game.

Who's playing thge stupid word games here? Your comment was

Quote:
You make them out to be all monsters, and that simply isn't true.

Note the use your the word "all" in your comment. Nowhere did I reply with anything in reference to that comment with anything about basements. Once again, you are fabricating things. The person playing word games here is you.

Quote:

My watchdog site lists the numbers and studies where every one of their stats are found and it encompasses the full range of people that come in contact with foster children. Your "better source" does no such thing and says so directly in it's charts and data summaries. It doens't refute anything I've said because it only addresses a small subset of the foster care system.

But... here's the data from another study for you since apparently you can't be bothered to actually follow a link: From a study of abuses of children while they were in foster care in the State of IL.

Total number of cases reviewed: 292
Number/Percentage of cases where abuse was found while in foster care: 212/73%

Who perpetrates abuses:
Foster Parent 61 (29%)
Relative Caregiver 61 (29%)
Institution Staff Person 12 (6%)
Birth Parent 30 (14%)
Step Parent 1 (.5%)
Unrelated Parent Substitute 2 (1%)
Paramour 2 (1%)
Other Adult Relative 3 (1%)
Sibling 5 (2%)
Other Child 12 (6%)
Other Person 13 (6%)
Babysitter 7 (3%)
Not Reported 3 (1%)

Types of abuse:
Death (Neglect) 1 (.5%)
Sexual Abuse 43 (20%)
Physical Abuse 50 (24%)
Substance-exposed infants 0
Emotional Abuse 0
Lack of Supervision 46 (22%)
Environmental Neglect 3 (1%)
Other Neglect 4 (2%)
Substantial Risk of Harm 65 (31%)

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:fYvihsYpTCcJ:cfrcwww.social.uiuc.edu/pubs/PDF.files/knownow.PDF+Benedict+%26+Zuravin&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl=us

Now, that particular study comes in at 20% for sexual abuse while in foster care which is slightly lower than the number I had stated. The 73% total abused is higher than the 60% I had given previously.

The number from YOUR statstic which you purport to be the total abuses was what again? Wasn't it under 1%???

I'll stick with my numbers thank you.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 09:20 pm
fishin wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
fishin wrote:

So now it's MY fault that YOUR evidence doesn't list abuses committed by people who aren't foster parents? Sorry, that's entirely due to your own incompetence. You can't pin that on me.

I don't have to justify my numbers. The links I provided support my contention. You, on the other hand, have a big fat nothing to justify your's. YOUR stats show proven cases committed by foster parents and only cases committed by foster parents. Now all you have to do is prove that there aren't any unproven cases committed by foster parents and that foster children never come in contact with any one else in the world and your numbers will mean something. In the meantime they show squat. I do notice however that you continue to avoid all of the other reports listed in the other link I provided. I guess those studies don't support your contenetion, huh?

Quote:
Quote:

Ah! More wonderful logic from you. 1+1=3! How is what may or may not happen to kids who aren't in state care in any way relevant to this discussion? You've dropped off the deep end...

Quote:
Quote:

How is it that you come up with this crap? You know, you are usually a fairly intelligent person but for whatever reason, you've been extremely stupid in this discussion. Please point to one single instance where I have stated that all foster parents are monsters. For that matter, point to a single instance where I have said that a majority of foster parents are monsters.

Quote:
Quote:

Yes... your statisics... exactly ONE statistic from exactly ONE report that provides an incomplete picture. Of course, every foster child is isolated and never comes in contact with anyone but their foster parents right? Is that what you are tying to claim? Because that is the ONLY way that your one stat can mean anything. Your total, complete and willful ignorance is astounding.

I've lost the thread of what the point of this particular argument is about.

I assume we all agree that there is a level of abuse of children in care that is unacceptable

I would also assume that we acknowledge that all, or nearly all (assuming the investigation and court process to be imperfect, and that some children are in care because of deaths or other unavoidable absence by caregivers) the children in foster care were abused prior to their being placed there.

So far, abuse-wise, kids are looking better in foster care than in abusive families of origin. Nowhere near good ENOUGH, but better.

I don't know who was making the point about kids running from foster care and ending up being further abused, or why...but I will point out that kids are usually very affected by abuse/neglect/trauma by the time they are removed, and many of them will be running away and getting further abused and generally having horrible lives even if their foster carers have the patience of Job, the wisdom of Solomon and the love and compassion of Jesus, Buddha and Mother Theresa combined. This is NOT denying in any way that some carers are abusive, but it needs to be considered in perspective.

The next bit of the perspective is the number of kids who remain in abusive homes and also run away/end up on drugs/prostituting themselves/dead/having babies at 13, and, sadly, also end up being abusive parents, and so on.

Of course, this is not the only aspect to the problem of removing kids from abusive homes.....but, I dunno, I guess I am just a bit lost about what you two are arguing about.

Can anyone remind me of how this particular argument relates to the thread?
0 Replies