Polygamists: Authorities Prepare For the Worst in Texas

ebrown p

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 01:11 pm
A former member might not be the best, most non-biased source of information.

My point is there is a rush to judgment here of the kind where people are excepting, without question, any evidence that supports their currently held prejudices.

I suspect reality is quite a bit more complex than the simplistic "evil cult" stereotype that people are jumping to.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 01:37 pm
I understand your concern, ebrown.

I would be worried if the "rush to judgment" had been made by the officials. It appears that concerns about child abuse have existed for quite some time. Officials believed action was necessary.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 03:31 pm
I guess I don't share your blind faith in officials.

The officials have taken some 400 kids away from their parents by force without any regard to the culture they were brought up in. I think there are legitimate questions about whether this will do far more harm to these kids than could be imagined.

Groups outside the mainstream always face prejudice that makes any claim against them believable. I don't know (any more than you do) what really happened... although there are reports that the initial victim doesn't even exist. But I have seen that prejudice against people who are not mainstream provoke extreme responses without regard to evidence and no time taken to question or think objectively. This is why I am skeptical in this case.

I am concerned that officials have again overreacted in a way that will cause real harm to these kids.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 03:40 pm
A local newspaper is providing live updates on the court hearings which began yesterday:
Live Updates from Courthouse
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 04:06 pm
How horrible

The more I read about this, the more troubled I am by the role of the state in this.

Hundreds of kids taken from their parents, simply because of their association with a religious community. The wishes of kids and parents alike are completely disregarded.

No attempt to understand the culture involved-- any action of men is interpreted as "sinister", the women are portrayed as being incapable of holding an opinion, the entire society portrayed a barbaric.

How is this different than how we dealt with Native American cultures (or the justifications we gave for doing so).
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 04:47 pm
larry king tried to interview some of the women from the compound , but whenever he asked about the men , the women would respond : "we want our chidren" .
they certainly were not willing to talk about the men at all .
later larry king spoke to the leader of canada's sect , a mr. blackmore of BOUNTIFUL , british columbia - a pretty sick puppy imo .
when asked about teenage marriages , he responded : "girls are never too young to marry" .
blackmore has appeared on several canadian shows and has made no bones about under-age marriages ( "it's god's will that we are practicing here" , he pronounces) .

i don't care how many grown men and women want to live together in whatever way they like , but when they involve underaged kids my sympathy stops !

unfortunately , canadian authorities at all levels avoid dealing with the problem . the provincial government says it's for the federal government to deal with , the police claim they have no authority and CPS are not given any backing by any of the other agencies - it's continuing year-after-year-after-year .
they only agency that might possibly be willing to tackle them at all is revenue canada , but they can do little about forced marriages ; they can only deal with tax issues , but that would be a start .
hbg

as you can see , this goes back to 2004 (and even before) and still continues to this day !

Quote:
Investigation launched into polygamous sect dubbed 'Canada's dirty little secret'
The Telegraph/August 5, 2004
By Catherine Elsworth
The peace of a secretive polygamous sect that has quietly practised its controversial - and illegal - way of life in a remote part of Canada for more than 60 years is about to be shattered.

Murmurings about alleged sexual abuse and forced marriage within the 1,000-strong community of Bountiful have reached fever pitch as women have fled the group with tales of exploitation.

The "escaped wives" claim that girls in their early teens have been compelled to wed middle-aged men and have been routinely trafficked between Canada and the group's fellow Mormon communities in Utah and Arizona.

They also complain of biased and truncated schooling that brainwashes children into following the sect's way of life and leaves them ill-equipped to live outside its confines.

Geoff Plant, the attorney general of the western Canadian province of British Columbia, has now launched an extensive investigation into the allegations.

"It's child abuse of the worst kind, within a religious context," said Audrey Vance, co-founder of a support group for former Bountiful wives in the nearby town of Creston. "One woman who left said what goes on out there is evil.

"This is Canada's dirty little secret, but no one round here wants to believe what's going on."

The community was founded in 1947 by members of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, a group that split from the Mormon Church. Lying about 320 miles south-west of Calgary, near the US border, it occupies a sublimely bucolic spot at the foot of the Kootenay mountains.

Bountiful does not appear on any map. There is no sign indicating its cluster of homes, some makeshift, others extensive with well-tended gardens littered with children's toys. But there are "no trespassing" notices at its edge. Few residents of Creston venture in. They lower their voices when asked about Bountiful, and explain that while they disapprove of their neighbours' lifestyle, they do not wish them ill.

Outsiders are not so sure. "Careful," a holidaying father told his teenage children heading off to buy ice cream. "This is the teenage pregnancy capital of the world."

Although polygamy is illegal under Canada's criminal code, authorities have long turned a blind eye to Bountiful because the country's Charter of Rights guarantees religious freedom.

However, demands for an official inquiry have grown louder. One of those calling for action is Debbie Palmer, 49, who fled Bountiful in 1988, taking her six children. When she was 15, she claims, she was forced to marry a 54-year-old man, becoming his sixth wife, and was later "re-assigned" to two other husbands before escaping.

Her sister, Jane Blackmore, a midwife, left Bountiful in 2002 with one of her seven children and is fighting a custody battle with the husband she is divorcing. He is Winston Blackmore, 47, who calls himself the Bishop of Bountiful, and is said to have at least 25 other "celestial" wives and more than 80 children.

"We know of girls as young as 13 involved in trafficking across the border," claimed Mrs Palmer, who now lives in Saskatchewan. "And some have been exposed to horrifically abusive situations.

"What's happening in Bountiful is very worrying. There is a lack of information and education that means young people don't have choices.

"We have really terrible concerns about what is going to happen there."

The campaigners hope the inquiry will lead to prosecutions under the province's sexual exploitation laws that seek to protect younger teenagers.

The Bountiful community was split by an internal dispute two years ago. Mr Blackmore, the leader of one group, appears confident, despite the investigation. "I have nothing to hide," he said.

His sister, Marlene Palmer, 45, a mother of six who was born in Bountiful, said: "So many lies have been told about us that we welcome this investigation.

"We hope they leave no rock unturned so everyone can see we are not hiding anything. Then maybe we can be left alone.

"No one is forced to be here. They can do whatever they want. Some of my children have chosen different lifestyles, but I still love them. They chose to leave. They did not leave because they were abused."

She defended polygamy. "Legally, the men are only married to one woman. [The other wives] feel like we are friends."

Marsha Chatwin, 27, and her sister, Zelpha, 30, who are both married to Mr Blackmore, agreed.

"I love living the way I live," said Ms Chatwin, a mother of four. "I would never change it. It was our own free will and choice and I want everybody to know that.

"We're real close. We're all family. There's always someone around and you're never alone."

Meanwhile, Mr Blackmore's Share the Light website warns Bountiful residents to brace themselves for the investigation.

"Discrimination. This is about discrimination," he writes, but adds: "Like all persecutions, I am sure we will get through it."

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 05:02 pm
Hamburger, this article obviously supports your pre-held notions. Are you willing to question your prejudices for a moment and look at this story from the other perspective?

There are two sides to this story as in http://www.canadianchristianity.com/cgi-bin/na.cgi?nationalupdates/050428bountiful

I don't support the polygamist lifestyle, and I personally don't want anything to do with being part of a religious community (especially a controversial one).

But it bothers me the way that this group is being demonized beyond what reason warrants. Dramatic unsubstantiated rumors and the unwillingness of anyone to even listen to the other side raise red flags.

But my main point is this....

Dragging these kids away from their parents is a very drastic step that will, without question, damage these kids in a dramatic way.

Do you really think that being in foster care in Texas-- in rushed assignments by people who don't accept their culture, is better than staying with their families? This is an extremely traumatic time that was instigated by the state.

Even if you believe that this religious community has no right to exist (or has no right to raise children)... you must agree that there is a better way for the state to handle this.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 05:14 pm
Hopefully the children can be helped now that they are away from the community. Parents don't always know best. We hope they do - but sometimes they are simply wrong - and do not have their children's best interests at heart.

My personal feeling, based on some experience with people coming out of similar cults, is that you can't hold the leaders in enough disdain. Sick.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 05:40 pm
I try to take the approach of cultural relativism whenever I can but when the issue is child abuse it is impossible for me to do so.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 05:43 pm
ebrown wrote :

Quote:
Even if you believe that this religious community has no right to exist (or has no right to raise children)... you must agree that there is a better way for the state to handle this.

my reply was a little hasty , and i'll modify it :

Quote:
i don't care how many grown men and women want to live together in whatever way they like , but when they involve underaged kids my sympathy stops !

i have no objection if they want to have children and are willing to let these children to be kids - however : NO underage marriage or sex with "old" men should be tolerated

i do NOT know all the details of the "living" arrangements of the texas sect . i have however listened to blackmore and his views on more than one occasion (if i recall correctly , the groups were connected at one time but split over "leadership" issues - that's what i recall) .

i don't see any serious problem with "multi-marriages or living arrangements" between consenting adults and having children in those arrangements (there are probably plenty of them) , but when it involves forcing girls into teenage marriage - which certainly blackmore advocates - , i don't have any sympathy .

IF (and i do not personally know enough about the texas situation) there was sex between "older" men and teenage girls (and with the knowledge of the mothers) , i don't see how at least a temporary separation of the children from their families can be avoided .
perhaps it'll turn out out to be completely above board - but right now my judgement is influenced by having listened to blackmore .

btw. during WW II millions of children in europe were separarted from their parents for long periods of time to keep them out of danger from air-raids (i was one of those kids and pretty well all my classs-mates were too) . we all seem to have come through it quite well .

of course , a lot will depend on how the parents influence their children .
if they scare the heck out of them , telling the kids that those other people are going to kill or harm them , it might be somewhat difficult to convince the kids that they will not be harmed .

i am still wondering where the men are ? if they are good fathers and husbands , do they not have a responsibility to stay with their families , or at least support them in some way ?

i'm probably basing too much of my judgement on having heard blackmore speak .
perhaps things will turn out just fine .
hbg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 05:44 pm
I tend to think about it the way ebeth does. I'm open minded to facts if they can refute any of the accusations. The children deserve to be saved if they are being abused. I only said "if" because like everyone else, I only know what I read in the papers.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 06:24 pm
from ebrown's link :

Quote:
Only two girls younger than 16 have ever entered into what the Women called "plural marriages."

that's what blackmore said , but some of the former members seem to at least dispute that .

Quote:
Blackmore said it is the wife's choice, never the husband's, about whether they will participate in plural marriages.

from the story i watched on CBC's "the fifth estate" , it's the older women who have some say if they want to accept another young woman into the group . i have at least some doubt that a 16/17 year old girl that has grown up in such a community can rationally decide on the benefits of such arrangement .

as one of his former wife's also stated , she had delivered babies to girls as young as 15 .
(i'm not blind to the fact that girls younger than 16 will have children , but i'm still bothered by the "bountiful" arrangements . )

perhaps what it really shows is that many children in our society are often not protected - from hunger , from poor living conditions etc .
perhaps the focus should be on ALL childen and not just those in the texas and british-columbia "compounds" .
i must even admit that those children growing up in those "compounds" probably have a better life (they probably have plenty of food and love from their mothers) than some kids growing up in slums and abysmal living conditions right in our own countries !
hbg
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 06:46 pm
wandeljw wrote:
fishin wrote:
One of the things that the state is investigating is that out of the ~200 minors of the female variety they have collected from the coumpound, 5 are pregnant.

Overall, Texas has the 5th highest pregnancy rate for minors in the country at 62 per 1000.

Extrapolating that out, the compound is running at a rate of 25 per 1000 - less than half of the state rate.

Now, I'm not saying that someone shouldn't be asking if these girls are being abused but if this is the sort of evidence the state is using to justify everything going on then there are going to be some huge issues very quickly here.

The issue for the compound is minor girls impregnated by ADULT males. Doesn't the pregnancy rate for minors in Texas overall involve UNDERAGE males?

From what I've been reading the State of Texas has NO IDEA who impregnated them and they had no idea how many were pregnant when they began the raid. (There has been discussion about running DNA tests on every member from the compound to try to sort out some of that.)

They are justifiying their "suspicion" on the fact that 5 of the 200 girls were pregnant. If that (in itself) is adequate cause for suspicion that the girls were impregnated by adults then they'd better lock down the rest of the state and get busy testing.

The question I am raising is "Did they have justification for the raid when they went in or did they conduct the raid to find evidence to create "after the fact" justifation?".

The longer this is going on, the longer it is looking like the latter is true.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 06:56 pm
fishin wrote:
wandeljw wrote:
fishin wrote:
One of the things that the state is investigating is that out of the ~200 minors of the female variety they have collected from the coumpound, 5 are pregnant.

Overall, Texas has the 5th highest pregnancy rate for minors in the country at 62 per 1000.

Extrapolating that out, the compound is running at a rate of 25 per 1000 - less than half of the state rate.

Now, I'm not saying that someone shouldn't be asking if these girls are being abused but if this is the sort of evidence the state is using to justify everything going on then there are going to be some huge issues very quickly here.

The issue for the compound is minor girls impregnated by ADULT males. Doesn't the pregnancy rate for minors in Texas overall involve UNDERAGE males?

From what I've been reading the State of Texas has NO IDEA who impregnated them and they had no idea how many were pregnant when they began the raid. (There has been discussion about running DNA tests on every member from the compound to try to sort out some of that.)

They are justifiying their "suspicion" on the fact that 5 of the 200 girls were pregnant. If that (in itself) is adequate cause for suspicion that the girls were impregnated by adults then they'd better lock down the rest of the state and get busy testing.

The question I am raising is "Did they have justification for the raid when they went in or did they conduct the raid to find evidence to create "after the fact" justifation?".

There is another basis for the suspicion that the five girls were impregnated by adults. Almost all the teenagers at the compound are girls. Boys leave the compound when they are teenagers to earn money for their family. Girls are never allowed to leave the compound.

From today's court hearing:
"Why are there more girls than boys at the ranch," another child's attorney asks.
"Normally, during the teenage years, the boys will begin working outside the community to earn money," the expert says.

In addition, of course, the imprisoned leader of FLDS, Warren Jeffs, has been known to arrange marriages for girls as young as 13.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 08:36 pm
wandeljw wrote:
fishin wrote:
wandeljw wrote:
fishin wrote:

There is another basis for the suspicion that the five girls were impregnated by adults. Almost all the teenagers at the compound are girls. Boys leave the compound when they are teenagers to earn money for their family. Girls are never allowed to leave the compound.

From today's court hearing:
"Why are there more girls than boys at the ranch," another child's attorney asks.
"Normally, during the teenage years, the boys will begin working outside the community to earn money," the expert says.

In addition, of course, the imprisoned leader of FLDS, Warren Jeffs, has been known to arrange marriages for girls as young as 13.

Do you have a link to where you found that? It doens't seem to match up with this evening's press reports.

"Attorneys for the children and the parents appeared to be trying to show in cross-examination that their children were fine and that the state was trying to tear families apart on the mere possibility that the girls might be abused when they reach puberty several years from now.

Only a few of the children are teenage girls. Roughly a third are younger than 4 and more than two dozen are teenage boys. But about 20 women or more gave birth when they were minors, some as young as 13, authorities say."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/18/national/main4027694.shtm

A reading of that paragraph would imply that there were actually more teenage boys there than teenage girls. (With the vast bulk of the 416 minors being pre-teen)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 08:57 pm
it was the discovery of several pregnant underage girls that compelled CPS to remove all of the children.

Houston Chronicle (online)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 09:29 pm
from the HOUSTON CHRONICLE :

Quote:

source :
HOUSTON CHRONICLE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
btw i understand that the MORMON CHURCH vigorously protested against the use of the word MORMON in connection with this sect .
they certainly do NOT want pepole to think that they endorse or condone what was going on there .
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 09:45 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
it was the discovery of several pregnant underage girls that compelled CPS to remove all of the children.

How many religious congregations are there where you wouldn't find several teenage pregnancies?

This is an awfully low bar (unequally applied to one religious group) to justify taking away people's children with no evidence of abuse other than their religious affiliation.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 09:54 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

How many religious congregations are there where you wouldn't find several teenage pregnancies?

This is an awfully low bar (unequally applied to one religious group) to justify taking away people's children with no evidence of abuse other than their religious affiliation.

We just have to agree to disagree, whether it is a religious question, or if children need protection.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 10:59 pm
This is not about the Native Americans...

This is much different, and I take offense at the reference.

This is about the systematic brainwashing, imprisoning, and impregnating of young girls afraid for their lives...

RH
0 Replies