Polygamists: Authorities Prepare For the Worst in Texas

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 03:29 pm
The law may have erred in the way they seized the children, but, attempting to protect children from abuse is sill the right thing to do.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 03:48 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
The law may have erred in the way they seized the children, but, attempting to protect children from abuse is sill the right thing to do.

Isn't this the same argument they use to ban gay marriage?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 03:50 pm
I don't know. I've never tried to ban gay marriage. I also know the difference between consentual sex between adults and forced sex with children.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 04:15 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I don't know. I've never tried to ban gay marriage. I also know the difference between consentual sex between adults and forced sex with children.

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 04:19 pm
((just to make my point clear))

It is prejudice (by the very definition of prejudice) to say that any of these kids were forced to have sex.

So far... the specific claims have been proven false. Did you read about the 27 year old woman who was put into foster care?

Prejudice makes people believe and do irrational things.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 04:20 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Do you genuinely see no difference in laws against adult sex with minors, and consensual marriage between two homosexual adults?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 04:22 pm
No, and you know it isn't. They say gays will have sex with children, because it's their nature to do so, a fabrication to influence the emotions. When you have actual pregnant underage children, it just isn't the same.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 04:24 pm
dlowan wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Do you genuinely see no difference in laws against adult sex with minors, and consensual marriage between two homosexual adults?

You are missing my point Dlowan.

I am saying that hysterical fear of an unpopular group makes it more likely that people believe unfounded charges against them.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 04:25 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
No, and you know it isn't. They say gays will have sex with children, because it's their nature to do so, a fabrication to influence the emotions. When you have actual pregnant underage children, it just isn't the same.

So far the reports of actual pregnant underage children have apparently been greatly exagerrated.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 04:25 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
dlowan wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

I am saying that hysterical fear of an unpopular group makes it more likely that people believe unfounded charges against them.

That may have been your point, and it is likely a very valid one, but it is not what you said.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 04:28 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

As far as I can see the decision says nothing re the abuse.....simply that there was not sufficient evidence of IMMINENT harm.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 04:28 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

So far the reports of actual pregnant underage children have apparently been greatly exagerrated.

Maybe exaggerated, but they have not yet proclaimed that none had forced sex.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 04:33 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Name one group for which no children have had forced sex.

Unpopular groups can be prosecuted with a much lower standard of evidence simply because they are unpopular.

This is not a good thing for a free society.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 04:42 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

I am not willing to accept with out examination the state's claim that religious beliefs can equal coercion which can equal force. To me the state's logic borders on a violation of the separation between church and state. The state is claiming powers over cultural practices that if allowed gives the state the power to regulate religion. This is not a road we should want to go down. If the cult girls did not marry before the age of consent to marriage with parental permission laws state was legal then the community did not violate any laws. If the community wishes to promote a culture that has that girls should marry as early as legally possible, and if there are no laws against marrying much older men, and if there are no laws against having a baby when at 16, then the state has no cause to give these people grief. The state does not dictate personal values, nor community values.

The actions of the state of Texas, as well as the logic of the arguments used by Texas officials, are outrageous so long as the Constitution is in force and this nation still claims the Declaration of Independence as a guiding document.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 04:54 pm
My position is in between Edgar and Hawkeye.

If the State, acting rationally (based on evidence) and without prejudice, has good reason to believe that these kids are in danger of being mistreated, then the State has the right and the responsibility to intervene.

This intervention should be done in way that minimizes the trauma to children and families as much as possible... and respects civil rights as much as possible.

My fears are this...

1) The State's actions were based on public emotions-- fear and prejudice, rather than reason.

2) The State's actions were excessive and harmful. The stated goals (the protection of the children) would have been much better served if it weren't for the environment of fear and prejudice clearly surrounding this case.

3) The number of things the State got wrong-- from the ages of women, to the existence of cyanide, are frightening.

4) The damage to community, civil rights and to the children they are allegedly trying to save-- are shameful.

If the State acted on reason and evidence rather than hysteria... the outcome would be much better for all involved.

Prejudice is Prejudice... and the willingness of both the State and the public to jump to tragic conclusions that are clearly untrue is astounding.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 05:02 pm
My position is in between Edgar and Hawkeye.

If the State, acting rationally (based on evidence) and without prejudice, has good reason to believe that these kids are in danger of being mistreated, then the State has the right and the responsibility to intervene.

This intervention should be done in way that minimizes the trauma to children and families as much as possible... and respects civil rights as much as possible.

My fears are this...

1) The State's actions were based on public emotions-- fear and prejudice, rather than reason.

2) The State's actions were excessive and harmful. The stated goals (the protection of the children) would have been much better served if it weren't for the environment of fear and prejudice clearly surrounding this case.

3) The number of things the State got wrong-- from the ages of women, to the existence of cyanide, are frightening.

4) The damage to community, civil rights and to the children they are allegedly trying to save-- are shameful.

If the State acted on reason and evidence rather than hysteria... the outcome would be much better for all involved.

Prejudice is Prejudice... and the willingness of both the State and the public to jump to tragic conclusions that are clearly untrue is astounding.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 05:08 pm
dlowan wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

That may have been your point, and it is likely a very valid one, but it is not what you said.

Oddly enough, I did understand ebrown to be saying what he says to have been saying. (Grammar?)

You may be missing a piece of the puzzle here that is quite specific to the United States. When conservative politicians here argue against gay marriage etc., they often quote "studies", usually from wingnut think tanks, providing "evidence" that gay couples are more likely to abuse children and do other abhorrent things. The findings would be a valid argument against having the state recognize gay marriages, civil unions and the like, if the studies were sound. But for all I can tell, they are not. Every time I looked at one of them, the statistics turned out to be blighted with amateur errors that a janitor could catch after reading "Statistics for Dummies".

Compare that to what's happening in Texas these days. As soon as the courts started applying some scrutiny to what the state of Texas did in this case, it turned out that at least one of the "underage mothers" was not a mother, nor even pregnant. Numerous other "underage mothers" turned out not to be underage. It seems unclear how much of the government's case will survive, because according to (somewhat conflicting) accounts I saw on TV, Texas accuses the sect of (a) not getting birth certificates for their babies, and (b) being willing and able to fake birth certificates to make the brides seem older than they are. My interpretation -- which may or may not be sound -- is that Texas's assertions about the mothers' ages is grounded primarily in some field officers' guesses, based on how young the women looked to them.

It is a farce that Texas would sack hundreds of children, wholesale, without a shadow of due process, based on this evidence. The farce would have been transparent to everyone who has read "Evidence for Dummies", if there is such a book. The fact that it happened anyway is quite comparable to the "studies" about all those horrible things that gay couples are "more likely than" straight couples to be doing.

Neither I nor ebrown are saying that homosexuality and sex with minors are the same thing. But there is a hysteric reaction to both in the general American public, which is quite similar, quite disconnected to the merits of each case. And in both cases, state executives who should know better are catering to this hysteria.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 05:12 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

I am not willing to accept with out examination the state's claim that religious beliefs can equal coercion which can equal force. To me the state's logic borders on a violation of the separation between church and state. The state is claiming powers over cultural practices that if allowed gives the state the power to regulate religion. This is not a road we should want to go down.

I don't think we should want to go down the road you are leading to here either.

What happens when someone's "religious practices" includes human sacrifices? Should the state not intervene to stop a murder from happening?

Church/State balance is a difficult thing to maintain and there is always going to be overlap and conflict between the two.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 05:15 pm
Quote:
Court: Texas Had No Right to Seize Children at Polygamist Ranch

By William Branigin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, May 22, 2008; 5:00 PM

A Texas appeals court ruled today that state child welfare authorities had no right to seize dozens of children living at the ranch of a polygamist religious sect, saying they were in no immediate danger of abuse.

The 3rd Court of Appeals in Austin ruled in favor of 48 mothers seeking the return of more than 130 children who had been living at a ranch near Eldorado, Tex., associated with the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

An attorney for the women said the ruling is likely to become a precedent for other mothers seeking the return of the 468 children in all who were taken from the ranch last month by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services.

Texas authorities launched a week-long raid on the 1,700-acre Yearning for Zion ranch starting April 3 after receiving an anonymous tip that underage girls were being forced to marry older men and bear children. Under Texas law, girls younger than 16 are not allowed to marry, even with their parents' permission.

In its ruling, the appeals court directed a district court to vacate its temporary orders granting custody of the children to the Department of Family and Protective Services. The department can appeal the decision, however, and attorneys for the mothers said it was not immediately clear when they might be reunited with their children.

"It's a great day for families in Texas," said Julie Balovich, an attorney with Texas RioGrande Legal Aid, which represents the 48 mothers in the case. "It's a great day for justice in Texas."

She told reporters that the appeals court decision gives the trial court 10 days to comply. The decision "covers only the mothers we represent," Balovich said. Ultimately, however, "I believe that it's going to apply to all the children and all the mothers," she said.

"The fact that the court would rule this way provides a lot of hope for all the other mothers as well," said Cynthia Martinez, a spokeswoman for the legal aid group. "There's a legal argument they can work with."

In its nine-page ruling, the 3rd Court of Appeals said the Department of Family and Protective Services had failed to prove that there was any danger to the physical health and safety of the children of 38 mothers, that there was any urgent or immediate need to take custody of the children or that it made any reasonable efforts to avoid the removal. Ten other mothers and their children were covered by a second opinion from the court today, Martinez said.

The ruling harshly criticized the department's rationale for acting in the case and refuted the evidence it presented. It said the only danger identified by the department to the prepubescent children was a "pervasive belief system" at the ranch that the department said groomed boys to be perpetrators of sexual abuse later in life and taught the girls to submit to sexual abuse after reaching puberty

Continue here
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/22/AR2008052200548.html?hpid=topnews
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 05:33 pm
True to form Texas continues to harass the cult:
Quote:

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/05/22/0522eldorado.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=52
0 Replies