ADHD and the lot linked to circadian rhythms...

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 04:32 pm
I suspect that a number of disorders will be shown to have roots in messed up circadian rhythms, but it will be years...definately depression and its variants as one of them. The reason why short term rem sleep deprivation has an almost miraculous cure rate for even those with major clinical depression. And I realize it becomes a chicken or the egg scenario, as there usually isn't documentation of biochemical changes in individuals prior to the onset of their depression. It's somewhat akin to whether or not people lose their motivation because they're depressed or because they have no motivation do they become depressed.

It took a decade for doctors to accept that most peptic ulcers (up to 90%) are caused by a bacterium (Helicobacter pylori), and can be treated with a course of antibiotics... I hope it doesn't take that long for them to accept that we are driven by our biological rhythms-- it's one of those things that is so glaringly obvious and simple that it becomes hard to see.

Sidenote : The US military actually did an interesting project with an isolated northern Alaskan base (during the winter night). Instead of using a propper 24 hour clock they used a clock that was actually 25 hours long and marked as 24. Thus after 24 days one day had shifted.

They found that average performance increased slightly with early morning and late evening showing the most significant improvement.

Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 958 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 05:07 pm
That's quite a bit at once, wenchilina! I think a lot of people, who are aware of what is going on with their bodies and minds, realize that there are connections. The old song, ' the knee bone's connected to ... ' had a lot of sense to it. It's all connected. How we sleep and eat and well, do all the things babies do, I believe they effect not only our bodies but our minds. It just makes sense. Doesn't it?

Aren't there already quite a few studies on decreased life expectancies for shift workers? Messed up circadian rhythms. Yup.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 05:41 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Aren't there already quite a few studies on decreased life expectancies for shift workers? Messed up circadian rhythms. Yup.

i'm not sure the validity of the studies only because it seems that society(and it seems the studies) is built around a certain 9 to 5 cycle that--I would guess-- most people have(hence the study's questionability). That is to say, their 24 hour cycle runs in synch with that of the 9 to 5 world.

I have a cycle that doesn't run in synch. Now, this doesn't mean that my rhythms are messed up at all, only that they are out of synch with most people's. In other words, my circadian rhythms are running fine, they are just out of synch.

humans have a "free running" cycle that is slightly longer than 24 hours. "Free running" means if there is nothing to set the internal clock with. Usually, light/dark sets the clock... i.e 8 to 14 hours of light, and 16 to 10 hours of dark is sufficient to set the clock (or clocks) that run everything from hormone cycles, potassium levels, urine output, sleep/wake, etc. Now, get below a certain threshold, and the internal oscillators don't get enough input to "entrain" to a 24 hour cycle...

So the Alaskan study would indicate since they were in somewhat "free running" conditions, they would have a performance increase since they were being allowed to synch their circadian cycles with their activity cycles.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 09:27 pm
I was thinking about this some more.

When I go on vacation, I take my watch off, and then I wake up earlier and earlier each day. Apparently (o.k. - i've been told many times Rolling Eyes ), this is quite annoying for the people I'm vacationing with - waking up, grumpy, at 8 a.m. to someone who's been peppy since 4 or 4:30 a.m. Is my cycle not in synch?

Is that why I started a thread 'you know you're tired when ... ' ?
I'm guessing being out of synch could lead to being tired at the 'wrong time'. The right time for me to be tired. Not for the 24 hour world.
0 Replies