Political Compass: Where do you fall?

Thomas

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 05:26 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Of the many variations of this test living on the internet, this must be one of the worst. Between a third and half of the questions made me want to answer: "Not applicable: Underlying assumption incorrect" or "Not applicable: False choice". For the sake of producing some result, though, I consistently chose "disagree" whenever my true answer would have been "not applicable". The test identified me as a libertarian, as expected.
Do you know of any that you particularly favor?

T
K
O

No, because test like these are inherently simplistic, so I don't really favor any of them. It's just that this one isn't just simplistic, it's also confusing and misleading. That said, I do favor the political survey at beasts.org over this one. It bases much fewer of its questions on premises that are themselves questionable, offers much fewer false choices, and gives you the option to say "no opinion", which is a reasonable answer to any remaining skewed questions.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 06:01 am
Thomas wrote:
The test identified me as a libertarian, as expected.

PS: I notice I didn't provide the numbers for the original test:
    Economic Left/Right: 2.75 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.36.
It's interesting to see there are no politicians in the quiz's square who are both civil and economic libertarians.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 06:09 am
Quote:
It's interesting to see there are no politicians in the quiz's square who are both civil and economic libertarians.

Thomas- And therein lies my frustration. So far I have never found a politician who has those two characteristics!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 07:04 am
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.77

Slightly southeast of the Dali Lama.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 07:48 am
I landed almost smack on top of the Dalai Lama.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:10 am
Omigosh. I'm almost due south of Ralph Nader a couple of ticks. I thought I would be closer to center than that.

My relatives all think I'm a dangerous Liberal and my friends all think I'm a dangerous Conservative. At least they all agree I'm dangerous....
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:06 am
BBB
BBB's test scores:

Economic Left/Right: -8.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72

http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=-8.12&soc=-6.72
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:25 am
Thomas wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Of the many variations of this test living on the internet, this must be one of the worst. Between a third and half of the questions made me want to answer: "Not applicable: Underlying assumption incorrect" or "Not applicable: False choice". For the sake of producing some result, though, I consistently chose "disagree" whenever my true answer would have been "not applicable". The test identified me as a libertarian, as expected.
Do you know of any that you particularly favor?

T
K
O

No, because test like these are inherently simplistic, so I don't really favor any of them. It's just that this one isn't just simplistic, it's also confusing and misleading. That said, I do favor the political survey at beasts.org over this one. It bases much fewer of its questions on premises that are themselves questionable, offers much fewer false choices, and gives you the option to say "no opinion", which is a reasonable answer to any remaining skewed questions.

1 left/right -6.6995 (-0.4033)
2 pragmatism +2.6096 (+0.1571) a pragmatic liberal, how interesting.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:48 am
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.31
0 Replies