Mexico reconquers California? Absolut drinks to that!

Mexica

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 10:18 am
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2251/2383371667_df5fc24e2d.jpg
The latest advertising campaign in Mexico from Swedish vodka maker Absolut promises to push all the right buttons south of the U.S. border, but it could ruffle a few feathers in El Norte.

The billboard and press campaign, created by advertising agency Teran\TBWA and now running in Mexico, is a colorful map depicting what the Americas might look like in an "Absolut" -- i.e., perfect -- world.

The U.S.-Mexico border lies where it was before the Mexican-American war of 1848 when California, as we now know it, was Mexican territory and known as Alta California.

Following the war, the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo saw the Mexican territories of Alta California and Santa Fé de Nuevo México ceded to the United States to become modern-day California, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado and Arizona. (Texas actually split from Mexico several years earlier to form a breakaway republic, and was voluntarily annexed by the United States in 1846.)

The campaign taps into the national pride of Mexicans, according to Favio Ucedo, creative director of leading Latino advertising agency Grupo Gallegos in the U.S.

Ucedo, who is from Argentina, said: "Mexicans talk about how the Americans stole their land, so this is their way of reclaiming it. It's very relevant and the Mexicans will love the idea."

But he said that were the campaign to run in the United States, it might fall flat.

"Many people aren't going to understand it here. Americans in the East and the North or in the center of the county -- I don't know if they know much about the history.

"Probably Americans in Texas and California understand perfectly and I don't know how they'd take it."

Meanwhile, the campaign has been circulating on the blogs and generating strong responses from people north of the border.

"I find this ad deeply offensive, and needlessly divisive. I will now make a point of drinking other brands. And 'vodka and tonic' is my drink," said one visitor, called New Yorker, on MexicoReporter.com.

Reader Paul Green goes into a discussion on the blog Gateway Pundit of whether the U.S. territories ever belonged to Mexico in the first place, and the News12 Long island site invited people to boycott Absolut, with one user, called LivingSmall, writing: "If you drink Absolut vodka, you can voice your approval or disapproval of this advertising campaign with your purchases. I know I will be switching to Grey Goose or Stoli and will never have another bottle of Absolut in my house.

"Hey Absolut ... that's my form of social commentary."

-- Deborah Bonello and Reed Johnson in Mexico City[/quote]

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laplaza/2008/04/mexico-reconque.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 924 • Replies: 16
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 10:29 am
Well, as a non-native Californian I have to say that I like the ad - it's
humorous, and with most humorous quotes, there is some truth to it.
We're halfway there already, considering the Hispanic population resp.
the Hispanic background people have in CA, AZ, TX, and NM.

Absolut Vodka ads are always a hoot, and remind me of the Benetton
ads in the past.
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 10:32 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Well, as a non-native Californian I have to say that I like the ad
Well, the map does show that a lil more territory than California is "repatriated."
*snicker*
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 10:35 am
Oh, I know that it includes Nevada, parts of Oregon, Idaho, and Colorado,
but I only spoke of the impact of Hispanics in California, since I live here.
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 10:40 am
Ah, I mis-read your post.
I thought you said that you were a non-Californian...
Anyhoo, there are some who are quite upset about this, and insist that Absolut owes the U.S. an apology for such an "un-American" ad.
Oh my. Surprised
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 10:43 am
I think it's funny too.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 11:17 am
Mexica wrote:
Ah, I mis-read your post.
I thought you said that you were a non-Californian...
Anyhoo, there are some who are quite upset about this, and insist that Absolut owes the U.S. an apology for such an "un-American" ad.
Oh my. Surprised

No, I said non-native Californian - meaning not born in CA but living there Very Happy
Oh, I bet that there are lots of people upset over this, probably the same
people who deny that Indian reservations exist.

Advertising that is controversial, and in everyone's conversation is the
best, isn't it?
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 11:23 am
No, I said non-native Californian - meaning not born in CA but living there Very Happy
-CalamityJane

Yes, I got that on my second reading, thanks.

Oh, I bet that there are lots of people upset over this, probably the same
people who deny that Indian reservations exist.

CalamityJane

Wait, what? Are you serious - there are people who do not believe in the existence of reservations, or is this one of those fancy double entendres?

Advertising that is controversial, and in everyone's conversation is the
best, isn't it?

CalamityJane

lol Oh, no doubt. However, if it results in a sizable drop in the market-share, I'm sure Absolut will re-think the future employment of those involved. I wonder if this will make it on the big stage?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 11:28 am
Poor planning on the part of the Swedish. Maybe that explains the announcment 6 days ago that they are selling the Absolute brand to the French. Wink
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 11:32 am
fishin wrote:
Poor planning on the part of the Swedish.
What plan?
And why is it poor?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 11:33 am
Yes, a double entendres: there are people who readily will forget that
it was Indian land beforehand.

Well, since this particular ad is only publicized in Mexico, I doubt that it
will reach the wider masses in the United States. Absolut should have absolutely nothing to fear about. People drink in good times, and even
more in bad times.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 11:40 am
Mexica wrote:
fishin wrote:
What plan?
And why is it poor?

What plan? Obviously someone planned the ad campaign. Otherwise it wouldn't exist!

And poor because the Swedes apparently won't be owning the Absolute brand any more. They sold it = not theirs! Wink
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 11:43 am
Yes, a double entendres: there are people who readily will forget that
it was Indian land beforehand.

-CalamityJane

Hard (maybe impossible) to buy that someone would forget. I'd suppose they'd rather think their ancestors acquired "free and open" country (a la Little House) or maybe that their ancestors were badly abused conquerors (a la John Wayne flicks). But I get your meaning.

People drink in good times, and even
more in bad times.

CalamityJane

lol Funny.
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 11:45 am
fishin wrote:
Mexica wrote:
fishin wrote:
What plan?
And why is it poor?

What plan? Obviously someone planned the ad campaign. Otherwise it wouldn't exist!

And poor because the Swedes apparently won't be owning the Absolute brand any more. They sold it = not theirs! Wink
So the ad campaign is an example of poor planning because "the Swedes apparently won't be owning the Absolute brand any more?"
That cant be what you meant, can it?
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 11:47 am
Or maybe I'm not understanding the winking smiley you keep using.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 11:04 am
There won't be a "reconquista" a la Espana y Los Moros. What I believe, as I already see glimmers of it on Spanish tv, that has American Hispanics as guests, there have been so many intermarriages between Anglos and Hispanics; children look like Anglos, and speak Spanish. That, to me, is the future of the Southwest, perhaps. Meaning, a bi-lingual population, but identifying themselves as Americans with an Hispanic culture.

That is a non event.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 11:09 am
Absolut was being aquired by Pernod and the marketing team decided to try and devalue the company in hopes of dashing the deal.
0 Replies