The 5 Most Ridiculous Lies You Were Taught In History Class

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 08:20 am
Wickipedia

History is bunk

Meaning

Live in the present, not the past.

Origin

Henry Ford (1863 - 1947) was the founder of the Ford Motor Company, the father of the assembly line and of mass-production, and one of the wealthiest and most famous people who ever lived. However, history is bunk is probably one of the two things that most of us can recall that he ever said. The other being "People can have the Model T in any colour - so long as it's black".

What he actually said about history was:

"History is more or less bunk. It's tradition. We don't want tradition. We want to live in the present, and the only history that is worth a tinker's damn is the history that we make today." (Chicago Tribune, 1916).
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 09:00 am
ossobuco wrote:
I seem to have lost a post, and, more ominously, in line to lose more with my sluggish engagement.
You're getting married to something ominous and sticky and have lost a military installation........rather odd that!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 03:46 pm
Eva, hooray for your son's middle school teacher. Is your son in a gifted program?

Our next door neighbor teaches gifted children in one of the middle schools here in ABQ. She too, is unorthodox and talks to her kids about learning to think for themselves and to question traditional 'truths' to find out if they are, instead, myth.

When you come in May, I'll make sure you meet her--that is if you can tear her away from Walter. They had a fascinating conversation when he was last here and I'm sure they will pick it up again in May.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 08:25 pm
No, he's not in a gifted program. They just allow their teachers more freedom than other schools do. It's one of the advantages of an independent, non-religious private school. No constraints from governments or churches.

That's one of the reasons why I agreed to teach there, too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 08:46 pm
Eh, I went to catholic school though elementary, high school, and first year of college. I think of this as a thicket to get past, though I did learn to use semicolons.

I like travel in general, and Rome in particular, for reasons not so much connected to catholicism but not devoid of it - it is fun, if that's the word, to know more than I did back then.

I see myself at ten as covered with a thick blanket. Around twenty, reading Merton and Ratzinger and Kung. Let's just say I get differences in view.

I do have some sympathy for history teachers. It's a dense subject, and not a snap to just teach. I guess I'd like to see qualifications and perhaps giant salary raises.
0 Replies