cares/cared

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 03:23 am
He is the first professor I've ever had who genuinely cares/cared about teaching his students.

I believe 'cares' is correct. Am I right?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 812 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 05:00 am
yes, present tense...
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 07:10 am
He is the first professor (main clause)

I've ever had who genuinely cared about teaching his students. (modifying clause - refers to all other professors from the past)
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 09:33 am
Hi Sullyfish and Reg

Both of you give different answers. I wonder which answer I should accept.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 09:42 am
mine! Razz

saying "He is the first professor I've ever had who genuinely cared about teaching his students" implies (to me, at least) that the professor no longer cares...
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 09:51 am
Hi Reg

Your reasoning makes sense to me.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 07:49 pm
Re: cares/cared
Yoong Liat wrote:
He is the first professor I've ever had who genuinely cares/cared about teaching his students.

Many thanks.

From Region's reply, YL, you should be able to see that 'correct' is a poor choice of words when asking about what works in language. His response allows that both are correct.

What you were actually seeking to find was which matched your intended meaning? If you want to know that then you have to describe your intended meaning.

It could be that you had him for a week, a few months and then he might have passed on or quit to nurse his sick wife, or ... .
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 06:54 am
JTT wrote:
Yoong Liat wrote:

Many thanks.

From Region's reply, YL, you should be able to see that 'correct' is a poor choice of words when asking about what works in language. His response allows that both are correct.

What you were actually seeking to find was which matched your intended meaning? If you want to know that then you have to describe your intended meaning.

It could be that you had him for a week, a few months and then he might have passed on or quit to nurse his sick wife, or ... .

What I meant is that the professor stlll teaches me and cares about me and he is still in the unniverstiy.

Regards
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 01:45 pm
Yoong Liat wrote:
JTT wrote:
Yoong Liat wrote:

Many thanks.

What I meant is that the professor still teaches me and cares about me and he is still in the university.

Regards

Then I think that you should have made that clear, YL. Aren't you an English teacher?
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 08:07 am
Hi JTT

I'm a tutor of English, not an English teacher. There is a difference. A teacher teaches in school, but I'm a private tutor.

I thought my question was clear enough and any member replying would be able to come out with the correct answer.

I'm a non-native speaker, so I'm learning from native speakers, includiing you. And I do appreciate the replies provided.

If I've offended you, I would like to apolgise. But that's not my intention.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 08:35 am
Yoong Liat wrote:

See, JTT, isn't it nice the contradiction between what one thinks and the expression of it?
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 10:13 am
Francis wrote:
Yoong Liat wrote:
If I've offended you, I would like to apologise. But that's not my intention.

See, JTT, isn't it nice the contradiction between what one thinks and the expression of it?

I've misspelled 'apologise'. I've amended it.

Thanks, Francis, for being so understanding.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 12:39 pm
Yoong Liat wrote:
Hi JTT

I'm a tutor of English, not an English teacher. There is a difference. A teacher teaches in school, but I'm a private tutor.

I thought my question was clear enough and any member replying would be able to come out with the correct answer.

I'm a non-native speaker, so I'm learning from native speakers, includiing you. And I do appreciate the replies provided.

If I've offended you, I would like to apologise. But that's not my intention.

Good day, YL.

My intention is not, was not to offend you, YL. So accept my apologies if I/I've made you feel in any way bad.

My intention is to try to help you see that simply receiving an assurance for one response can make you miss the larger picture. Taking that narrowed viewpoint along with you can cause you to mislead your students.

As a tutor, and I must say that you seem like a diligent one, I'm sure you'll agree that students deserve the best, which is the whole picture. I can appreciate that too much at once can overwhelm students, but if you, as the teacher, get the whole picture, digest it, rethink it, discuss it some more, you will, in time, find an effective way to get it across to them.

There are differences of opinion among the native speakers who come here, sometimes large ones, and sometimes things even get a bit heated. Why? Because these things are not easy even for native speakers to see and understand.

Language is rocket science, and you as a tutor have to try to see the whole picture, which, I promise you, will allow you to see the details much much better. It won't come in a day or a week or a month or even a year, but if you try it'll come and as it does, you'll need us native speakers less and less and you'll find your job much more rewarding.

I'm still puzzling over the potential differences in your example. Often, when given an isolated sentence, speakers seize on one context, not out of stupidity or stubbornness, and it's hard to see other potential contexts. This has happened to me a lot in my teaching career.

Yoong Liat wrote:

Many thanks.

Instead of 'I believe 'cares' is correct. Am I right?", let me, as a long time teacher recommend something like,

"Are both possible? If so, what would be the difference/differences between the two?"

Taking this approach, you actually have the chance to learn a great deal about the nuances of language, instead of just having one belief, possibly a mistaken one, confirmed. This can happen when you and the respondent view the context differently.

With deep admiration for your diligence, one of many devoted teachers,

jtt
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 12:40 pm
Francis wrote:
Yoong Liat wrote:

Excellent point, Francis. Thank you.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 12:58 pm
Thanks, JTT, for clarifying what you meant.

I usually ask whether the usage is correct or not, and the other members will answer in the way they think or know is correct. I will see what the member says and, if necessary, ask for clarification.

Other members who disagree will present their interpretations and put forth their points. I will in the end come to a conclusion whose explanation is correct.

In future, I may ask the way you suggested.

Best wishes

YL
0 Replies