If We Can't Trust PBS...all is lost.

Letty

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 10:41 am
Is she of the long and tapered neck really a man?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030830/sc_nm/egypt_mummy_nefertiti_dc_1

Just like J.P.Morgan, I have always wondered about pyramid power Laughing

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 814 • Replies: 9
No top replies

eoe

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 10:57 am
It's apparent that the mummy is not Nefertiti and the scientists who unearthed it shot off at the mouth way too soon.
So, who sues who? Lots of money changed hands, I'll bet.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 01:24 pm
Hey, eoe. What a shame, really. Strange how people try to be the first, isn't it. I do believe that all sciences should take a breathing period before plunging over the lemming cliffs. Ah, well....
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 01:32 pm
I don't know. From my view as a neophyte academic, there is not enough evidence for either conclusion to be reached. This sounds like an academic feud, more than anything else. If one watched the program carefully, one could see that there was some bad feeling simmering between Hawass and the York Egyptologist.
I have a friend who is doing Egyptology at Hopkins, who says that Hawass is just plain mean, especially to women. I know that his academic reputation isn't all that it could be, and he owes a lot to Nasser era cronyism for his post in charge of Egyptian antiquities. Just my 2p.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 01:35 pm
The idea that Nefertiti may have been a man is a joke, right? No one's really trying to sell that theory, are they?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 01:38 pm
I think that Hawass is trying to say that the gender of the mumy was misidentified, and to imply that if something as "simple" to identify as gender could be flubbed, then her whole theory is flawed. It's academic tongue stiking out at and nyaah nyaah nyaahing at its finest. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 01:52 pm
Very Happy Hey, hobit. What's a pure academician like you doing in the company of hobbits? No one can be meaner that a bunch of Egyptologists trying to determine the width of a mummy's hips.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 01:56 pm
Try being a medievalist and discussing homerotic imagery in the writing of Gregory of Tours! I almost came to blows with someone!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 01:56 pm
I think Hawass has a point, whether he's mean or not. That's pretty sloppy and again, a reason to avoid calling the press until you're more sure about things than the York Egyptologist and her crew seems to have been.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 01:59 pm
I would have to reserve judgement on either side having not seen the reports of the osteologists, and not knowing enough about archeo-osteology to be able to interperet them if I did see them.
0 Replies