depovera

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 06:45 pm
Confused I'm on depovera and because of my root canal I am also on amoxicillin, they said that in order to take the medicine that my birth control won't work anymore for a period of time, but what happens after I get off it, I am sexually active, and would like what to know how to be sure about what happens after I get off of the amoxicillin.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,229 • Replies: 10
No top replies

LostGirl811

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 09:30 am
First off, you are on Depo Provera, not depovera. If you are going to take a medication, please be aware of what you are taking for your own health concerns my dear.

Amoxicillin is an antibiotic. Antibiotics are known to interfere with the efficacy of hormonal birth control to work. Therefor, while you are taking the antibiotic (the amoxicillin) you should use back-up methods of birth control such as condoms. Antibiotic regimens typically only last a week or so, so this really shouldn't be that much of a hassle to have to use condoms for a while. And frankly, unless you are in some seriously committed and monogamous relationship, you should be using them anyway. Birth control don't protect against STD's. And to be frank, nowadays you can't even be sure your boyfriend or girlfriend is totally faithful, so condoms are a good bet any way.

After you don't take the antibiotics anymore, you should have no more concerns regarding your birth control working.

Another side note about Depo Provera: it is known to cause irreversible bone-density loss in women, which is a problem that faces most women when they get older, eg- osteoporosis, brittle bones, etc.

Many women like the convenience of depo provera because its a shot once every three months, and honestly, i've seen some irresponsible young women that i would prefer take it because they are incapable of for whatever reason taking a birth control pill daily or using condoms. because for some reason they seem to think raising babies is easier than taking a pill and insisting on condom use. But that's an argument for another day.

Sorry for the ramblings but i work in healthcare and see way too much for my own good.

To answer your original question, while you are taking the amoxicillin, make sure you are using condoms while having sex because it might make your birth control not work. After you are done taking the amoxicillin, it should go back to normal.

cheers.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 06:22 am
LostGirl--

Excellent advice.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 07:27 am
I can't believe that with all the knowledge we have on Depo that doctors still prescribe it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 08:24 am
People still eat high fructose corn syrup, red and yellow dyes and MSG too..
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 08:28 am
shewolfnm wrote:
People still eat high fructose corn syrup, red and yellow dyes and MSG too..

But the doctor doesn't prescribe it.
0 Replies

LostGirl811

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 08:37 am
Noddy-

thanks!

Bella Dea wrote:
I can't believe that with all the knowledge we have on Depo that doctors still prescribe it.

Bella-

I know. I mean, all medications carry some risk of side effects, but as far as Depo Provera goes, I would not recommend it to anyone if they can try another option. The risk for bone density loss, which I might add is irreversible damage for the most part, is not worth it.

There are other options. Daily birth control pills are obvious, but for whatever reason , as much as you can argue that people SHOULD be responsible....overwhelmingly, especially very young women/teens, often aren't. They don't bother taking the pill every day, or using condoms all the time. God knows why with all the diseases out there but again, that's an argument for another day....

There are other non-daily options for BC. One good one , which I happen to use myself, is Nuva Ring. It's a lower-hormone method. It's a small plastic ring that is inserted once every 3-4 weeks into the vagina, and as weird as that sounds, you really do not feel it at all. And for anyone concerned about their partner feeling it, they don't. I've never had a boyfriend or whatnot tell me they could feel it during sex at all. You just leave it in there for 3 weeks, take it out one week to have your period, and then put in a new one for three more weeks. Pretty simple.

There's also that whole not-having-sex thing, but let's be realistic here shall we.... ;-)

Anyway, the most important thing abotu taking ANY medication, and what I hinted at when I corrected the OP on the name of the medication, was that you as a patient should make an effort to learn about what you are being prescribed.

Doctors are not gods, or all knowing, and often are not aware of every new side effect or research paper that comes out on a medication. They often will neglect to tell you every single side effect, so it is your job to do a little research on your own to see if something is a good idea. Make informed decisions, is all I'm saying, and weigh the pros and cons. Sometimes the risks ARE worth it if you are very sick, sometimes you have the liesure to try something else instead.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 06:22 am
LostGirl--

Another good post. You will be an asset to A2K.
0 Replies

LostGirl811

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 11:34 am
Noddy24 wrote:
LostGirl--

Another good post. You will be an asset to A2K.

Noddy,

thanks again. Perhaps even a guru one day eh? ;-)

now if only i could solve all my own problems! muahaha.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 03:13 pm
LostGirl--

Stick around. We love to give advice.
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 03:20 pm
I agree 100% with LostGirl, I was on Depo many years back and found that as the three month time frame began to wind down my hormones would go screwy for several weeks until I got the new shot.

I'm on the Nuva Ring now and have no side effects. So much less hassle! Of course one must use alternate protection while taking antibiotics but for me the benefits were much better than being a 'raging witch' for the weeks leading up to getting the new shot! Smile
0 Replies