AS Homeschooling

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 01:13 am
Along with my mother, my nephew's legal guardian, we've decided that homeschooling is worth a chance (he's a kid with Asperger's Syndrome).

I'm not getting support from anyone -- no one except my mother. My husband supported me at first, but now that it's started, that's stopped. It's too late to back out, and on top of that I think that after a measly one week of schooling, it's helping my nephew
(the one on one). I'm beat down from all the negative energy coming from everyone else on this matter.

What do I do? Let him be terrorized for his differences simply because "it's not my problem" or try to help him make things better, and to understand certain things better???

It's so hard, and it's really getting me down -- and that's not good for the nephew. Please, anyone, give me a little advice/moral support.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,116 • Replies: 43
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 02:01 am
Go for it. Stay motivated, cuz I understand it is a long and difficult process. I bet you get some support from Montana.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 08:27 am
There are a TON of resources online for homeschoolers. Have you already found them? (Lesson plans to support groups to...)
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 10:47 am
Hi guys, thanks for replying. Sorry if I was ranting or whining, it's just frustrating to keep hearing that all he needs is to join boy scouts and go to school.

Does Montana homeschool?

Soz, I found a couple of online groups for homeschooling kids with AS, but their kids sounded far more affected by the problem than the nephew. He's on the light end of AS (thankfully). And there's a homeschool group here in town that does outings together that I have been in contact with, too -- just waiting a couple of weeks for the kid and I to adjust and figure out our game plan together.

Well, again, thanks. I'm not going to whine anymore...I just needed to rage a little! Smile Feel a bit better.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 10:56 am
Is there a group of home-schooling parents in your area? You obviously need a dose of "been there, done than and it works

Ask at the school your nephew would have been attending. Call the local newspaper--late morning is a good time--and ask whether they know of any support groups for novice home schoolers.

If necessary, put a small ad in the classifieds under "personal".

This might be a bit off-the-wall, but check with Office Depot and Staples.

The Internet may give you some local links.

Being a courageous pioneer is difficult. You feel over worked, under appreciated and as though you're standing behind the door while everyone else is getting bonbons, paychecks and glittering stars in their heavenly crown.

Remember, because of you, your nephew can concentrate on learning.

Hang in there. Hold your dominion. We're here if you need to kvetch.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 11:13 am
Hi Noddy -- I was hoping you'd stop by! Thanks...and yes there is one group here (actually a few, but most others are religious) that I plan to meet with. They've not been particularly friendly online, but I'm hoping that meeting up with them face to face will help.

I'm hoping that we can overcome his major hurdles enough that he can go to "regular" school next year...just need to help him with socialization and dysgraphia, and he's showing a huge interest in music, so I'd like to get him into that. He's a smart little cookie, otherwise.

Thanks again, Noddy!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 11:40 am
K12 Homeschool Site

Be sure you also vist it here
K12® Virtual Academies
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 11:51 am
Wow...that's one I haven't seen, thanks for the info, Husker! I don't see Oklahoma listed in the virtual acadamy listings, but it would be worth checking into, for sure.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 11:57 am
Liberty--

Explain to your critics ("All that boy needs.....") is that your nephew has learned to associate a conventional classroom with intellectual and social failure.

He needs a year of individual tutoring to turn from a Failure into a confident, accomplished kid. He needs to learn social skill one step at a time rather than being dumped into a peer group with a low tolerance for the "different".

The music sounds idea for an AS kid. He needs structure and music is nothing but glorious structure.

Any chance for music lessons? What about a Big Brother? Is there some family member or a family friend who would help him with basic sports skills and vocabulary? Competent ball players are allowed to be a little different.

Good luck. Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 12:41 pm
Noddy, good idea on the explanation. It's true about learning social skills one at a time. I've started simply by taking him on errands with me (something mom, god love her, doesn't do) so he can see how I interact in everyday situations. Eventually I'll have him practice doing it.

He wants to learn how to play the piano, so we're definately going to sign him up for piano lessons. Didn't think about the structure of it, but you're right. We're also working on getting him in shape -- walking every day, lifting small weights -- he likes golf, so we'll have to do that (I've never played, but I guess I'll learn!)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 01:22 pm
She does, LibertyD. She hasn't picked up my IM, so probably hasn't been on line today.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 02:34 pm
LibertyD wrote:
Wow...that's one I haven't seen, thanks for the info, Husker! I don't see Oklahoma listed in the virtual acadamy listings, but it would be worth checking into, for sure.

I have friends that are very into the K12 - group and the virtual acadamy.
A few of the sites I host are also involved.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 02:44 pm
Roger -- thanks for contacting her for me.

Husker -- so your friends have had good luck with it? What kind of sites are involved -- lesson sites?

That's been the most confusing thing about homeschooling -- curriculum. There are soooo many out there. A lot of the people in this group I'm thinking of getting involved with seem to make up their own.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 06:27 pm
Quote:
LibertyD
Husker -- so your friends have had good luck with it? What kind of sites are involved -- lesson sites?

They are involved with the Idaho acadamy and gifted sites, you might drop me an email. :wink:
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 07:50 pm
Done, Husker!
0 Replies

The Dalai Mama

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 11:43 pm
Liberty~ Congratulations on homeschooling. I am a part of a great community for homeschoolers from across the nation. I am sure one of the mamas would have a link or two to help you out.
Edit (Moderator): Do not post your link.

This morning we are beginning our fall "schooling". My daughter is 2 and a half, so we will be doing preschool activities(I was a preschool teacher for ten years), and I am very excited to get things going.

Good luck to you! BTW, a good idea would be to do an internet search for your state/county/city homeschool association.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 07:35 am
Love your name, The Dalai Mama.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 07:44 am
Hey there Liberty. I just got Roger's PM and I think you're doing the right thing for your nephew :-) I did lots of research on line looking for home schoooling sites and it did take me quite some time to find the right one. My favorite site is http://www.edhelper.com/ which has so much to offer. There are endless amounts of worksheets that you can print and more information than you'll ever need. There are plenty of worksheets you can print for free, but you can even get more for a small yearly fee that I gladly pay myself. I also buy educational supplies from ebay which also saves me a bundle. It's not an easy job by any means, but I find it very rewarding and my son has learned so much from the one on one that he needed. Keep your chin up and don't let anyone bring you down ;-)
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 12:04 pm
Dalai Mama (that is a great name!) -- If you want to PM me that link, feel free. I have the names of homeschooling groups around here, and there's one in particular that I keep up with by reading their message boards. One problem I've come up against is that these groups are focused on group activities with the kids, and one of Nephew's problems is functioning in groups.

He panics to the point of becoming mute, at times (depending on who is in the group and how much of a focus he becomes). This has happened in school on several occasions, and is one of the things that caused us to decide that homeschooling might be best. Socializing is a frightening experience for him, and so I want to try and teach him slowly how he can interact without freaking out. It's things like that that AS kids need to have explained in detail to them. So hopefully we can start going to the group events, but not right away.

Good luck with the beginning of your homeschooling, by the way!

Husker, there is some great info in that link you sent me...thanks!

Montana -- thanks for the info! I've seen that site and love it -- I agree, that's one of the best places for information online. How long have you homeschooled your son?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 12:51 pm
Off topic, LibertyD, but have you ever read any of Robert Ludlum's books involving an individual with AS? Fictionalized, but there may be some insights from something other than mainstream. This is not the subject of the books, by the way, just a sidelight.
0 Replies