Protein supplments - Are they safe? What to choose?

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 05:35 pm
Dear all;

I'm a 23 year old and I'm slim. I want to gain weight fast so I decided to buy a supplment of protein to help me with my training.

I go to the gym around 4 times a week, however I haven't made up my mind about which protein supplment to buy...and im mostly concerned about two things:

1) The results (I do want to gain weight fast and want to FEEL it)

2) The side effects (I want it to be healthy, and not risky).

I've heard about the side effects of Mega Mass (hair loss, not able to have an erection..etc) .. is that true? And which level of mega mass should I start? 2000 ?

Between Mega Mass and Up Your Mass, what would you most recommend and why?

Many supplements are out there and I'm looking for those with the most promising results and the most safest with no or little side effects.

Thanks for your help guys!

http://www.bodyconcept.com/family/1032/display.html

http://www.nicemuscle.com/mega-mass-2000-80434.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 23,215 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 06:50 pm
Re: Protein supplments - Are they safe? What to choose?
vonderjohn wrote:
Dear all;

I'm a 23 year old and I'm slim. I want to gain weight fast so I decided to buy a supplment of protein to help me with my training.

I go to the gym around 4 times a week, however I haven't made up my mind about which protein supplment to buy...and im mostly concerned about two things:

1) The results (I do want to gain weight fast and want to FEEL it)

2) The side effects (I want it to be healthy, and not risky).

I've heard about the side effects of Mega Mass (hair loss, not able to have an erection..etc) .. is that true? And which level of mega mass should I start? 2000 ?

Between Mega Mass and Up Your Mass, what would you most recommend and why?

Many supplements are out there and I'm looking for those with the most promising results and the most safest with no or little side effects.

Thanks for your help guys!

http://www.bodyconcept.com/family/1032/display.html

http://www.nicemuscle.com/mega-mass-2000-80434.htm

First off, MegaMass is a weight gainer, there is NOTHING in there that will cause those side effects, or any side effects. Not sure where you heard that, but protein & sugar won't do that.

When I was 18-19, I weighed 135-140lbs at 5'11. Last year I was as heavy as 200, now I'm about 185 and pretty lean(lost some weight due to an injury). I'm 31 now, but hit the 180 mark probably 4-5 years ago. So I've put on a few pounds, naturally, over the years.

The biggest & fastest gains I experienced was within the first couple years of lifting weights. I literally would write down how many calories I wanted to eat a day(think it was 3000+) of LEAN healthy food. I would eat egg whites, 1lb of chicken, rice, a lot of carnation instant breakfasts(not recommended), pasta, beef, fish, ect, and a lot of water.

Couple things on protein supplements, and different kinds:

MRP's(meal replacement powders). The most expensive, but also the most "complete" supplements. Met-Rx, Myoplex, LeanBody, ect. High in protein(and use a combination of different proteins), low in sugar/carbs, and high in vitamins.

Weight Gainers: like Mega Mass, the serving sizes are huge for the nutritonal values you're looking at, so they're actually lower in protein, and high in sugar. 41g per serving = fat. Not the best supplements, but cheap calories if you have a hard time getting enough.

Whey protein: one of, if not the, fastest digesting protein. Ideal for consumption immediately after a workout, along with some simple sugars.

Ok, first off, diet is THE most important thing for gaining weight. You need to take in more calories than you burn. Protein powders don't have any magic ingredients that will make you gain weight any faster than regular food, but they're great supplements to get that extra protein you need while lifting weights. So structure a solid diet that will allow you gain weight.

Ideally, you don't want to gain TOO much weight fast. Without steroids, you're not going to be able to put on a ton of weight fast unless you're also putting on a good chunk of fat at the same time. But either way, you're going to put on some fat while gaining weight along with muscle.

So plan out a diet that's 5-6 meals a day(you can count a MRP as a meal), with each one having a combination of protein & carbs. You want at least 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight. So figure out roughly how many calories you're eating a day now...than tack on what you think fits...another 500, 1000, 1500, all depends on you. Then figure out if you need protein supplements for conveinence. For example, I typically have a Met-Rx shake for breakfast mixed with peanut butter and skim milk, because I don't want to take the time to cook breakfast. And I'll have a scoop of whey protein right when I get back from the gym. But I used to have 2-3 Met-Rx's every day when it was easier for me.

And obviously lift & get stronger consistently...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 06:56 pm
Well to really answer your question, I wouldn't buy either, and would buy a MRP instead, or both. And protein supplementation is safe, you've got nothing to worry about.

There's a myth out there that excessive protein can damage your kidneys, but everything I've read on the subject indicates that excessive protein is only harmful to those who already have kidney problems.
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 03:02 am
So your recommendation would be to get the MET-Rx MRP at LEAST , and buying the Megamass is optional - in such a way that I would have breakfast with Met-Rx and megamass shake after the gym. am i correct here?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2008 02:47 pm
vonderjohn wrote:
So your recommendation would be to get the MET-Rx MRP at LEAST , and buying the Megamass is optional - in such a way that I would have breakfast with Met-Rx and megamass shake after the gym. am i correct here?

Pretty much. I would skip any weight gainer and try to get as many calories from food as possible, unless you really need it for convenience. Weight gainers are mostly sugar, and if you looked at the size of a serving(they don't list how many grams on those descriptions), they're usually enormous for the amount of protein & calories you get. A MRP is about 240-280 calories by itself, but if you mix it with skim or 1% milk, put in a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter and blend it, you've got roughly a 500 calorie shake that's low in sugar, packed with protein/nutrients, and not too much to drink.

Again, a weight gainer shake that's going to be the 2000 calories as advertised is probably 2-3 blenders full of shakes...you're not going to drink that much at once. Met-Rx could triple their serving size and call it a weight gainer, too.

So I would buy a MRP like Met-Rx to use as a meal replacement vs. a weight gainer, yes. You can use the MRP as a post-workout shake also, or you could use a separate whey protein, then eat a regular meal.
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 08:30 am
ive always been exposed to the benefit of 'weight gainers' and protein supplements. Its the first time that MRPs are said to be more important along with whey. The reason as I understood is that MRPs give more calories? right?

The problem i have is that with a hectic life (work, studies..etc) ... I'm having little time to eat. Sometimes I skip lunch or breakfast or eat them very late. Sometimes I eat lunch at like 7p.m and then dinner at like 9!

This doesn't help me while working out, so I need some good support.

In a nutshell, why are MRPs and whey more important and useful than weight gainers such as MegaMass?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 12:20 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

There's a myth out there that excessive protein can damage your kidneys, but everything I've read on the subject indicates that excessive protein is only harmful to those who already have kidney problems.

I've read the same, from what looked like good sources.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2008 04:39 pm
vonderjohn wrote:
ive always been exposed to the benefit of 'weight gainers' and protein supplements. Its the first time that MRPs are said to be more important along with whey. The reason as I understood is that MRPs give more calories? right?

The problem i have is that with a hectic life (work, studies..etc) ... I'm having little time to eat. Sometimes I skip lunch or breakfast or eat them very late. Sometimes I eat lunch at like 7p.m and then dinner at like 9!

This doesn't help me while working out, so I need some good support.

In a nutshell, why are MRPs and whey more important and useful than weight gainers such as MegaMass?

I already explained, but I'll do it again.

A MRP is a more complete "meal" than a weight gainer. Compare the nutrional values, but make sure you're looking at how many grams are in a serving. For example, one serving of Met-Rx is 72g, has 260 calories, 38g of protein(a blend of different proteins), and only 3g of sugar. It's also got a good amount of vitamins, which the weight gainer is lacking. So if you're using it to supplement meals, it's a better option.

Look at a serving from a weight gainer, and the serving size is going to be much, much larger, for the same amount of protein and a ton of sugar, which you don't really want. You're better off making a MRP shake with 1% milk, and add peanut butter for calories.

You should look into bars too. You're NOT going to gain a lot of muscle if you don't eat all day. Gotta find a way to eat every 3 hours or so, and hit your calorie goal.

A seperate whey protein supplement really is used for post-workout, because it's the fastest digesting protein, which is important in recovery. That's not a replacement for a meal, it's just something to scoop into water/milk before you eat your post-workout meal.
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 09:56 am
Alright that's clearer now, thanks a lot for clarifying altho it took me a while to understand..but Im just new to this!

As for the brands, you suggest Met-Rx for MRP . What good brand do you suggest for whey protein?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 12:03 pm
the real trick and the one I try to deal with is keeping lean and NOT gaining much weight while being cut and having muscle definition.
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2008 05:17 pm
well thats not enough for me ... im too slim to the extent im shy to wear a t-shirt. so i guess u might figure out i need to gain a LOT of weight
johnsmith98

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 06:52 am
@vonderjohn,
Well, first you need to train your body for lifting extra weight. You need to do it thrice a week. Then when your body starts craving for more protein take egg shakes twice a day. Eventually, in three months you will gain mass. Be far away from masturbation during this three months. Just do it and you'll see the miracle.

BR,
John (Pro Body Builder)
Curlindia

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2017 04:19 am
@johnsmith98,
Vitamins and supplements come in handy in boosting health considering that sometimes you do not get enough amounts of needed nutrients from your diet. They have become very popular not just among body builders, but also among people who are conscious about health and fitness and those suffering from specific deficiencies. With the increased demand for the supplements and vitamins, sources and suppliers have increased and you would have to be very cautious to get good quality products cost effectively. A few buying tips can help you get the best value with every purchase.

0 Replies