Japanese.. Japonais

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 01:26 pm
I am infactuated with Japan and more specifically Tokyo. I desparately want to go to Tokyo but I don't speak japanese. I don't want to go just as a tourist without speaking the language and learning about the people who I interact with. Therefore I really want to meet someone who could help me learn japanese or who knows where I could. I live 30 minutes from the city (NewYork).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,016 • Replies: 18
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 02:04 pm
Look under "language schools" in your telephone directory. There are also language software to learn Japanese - or any other language for that matter. The internet is a good resource to learn about the Japanese culture. Good luck.
0 Replies

Tabernacle

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 09:31 pm
thanks
I looked stuff up in different phone books and asked my school for places but there was nowhere to go. online stuff might be useful though
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 12:42 am
Tabernacle, Try this link. http://www.us-jf.org/heinz.html
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 11:47 am
Here's a search in Google: Learn Japanese
And in the Google Web Directory: Learn Japanese

If you have questions about Japan feel free to ask. CI is Nihonjin, and I'm living in Tokyo at the moment.
0 Replies

ayoah

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:25 pm
learning Japanese
Tabernacle, I think you can contact the Japan society in New York about learning Japanese.

Also, I work at a college in the CUNY system. At Lehman college there is offered courses in Japanese.

If you would like to talk (type) to people in Japan you can try another forum that I'm on. It's called ... Edit (Moderator) Link removed
after getting to the homepage then click the forum icon and see what you can learn about Japan.

THE END!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:53 pm
ayoah, WELCOME to A2K. Glad to have you aboard.
0 Replies

mezzie

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 12:48 pm
Try the Japan Consulate in New York. They have an information center with educational materials, etc.

http://www.cgj.org/en/b/01.html

Better still, see if you can get involved in a Japanese/English language exchange program at any of the local colleges.

I'm a former Japanese teacher in Philadelphia. Contact me if you have any other questions about the language, etc.

Good luck!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 05:12 pm
Hi mezzie, WELCOME to A2K. Your brother told me you joined A2K. Nice to have you aboard.
0 Replies

mezzie

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 05:59 pm
Thanks cic! To paraphrase a well-worn cliche: Any friend of cav's is a friend of mine. Smile
0 Replies

mezzie

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 06:03 pm
Cic, I just read your profile. All I can say is wow! You've travelled more than my wife. Her favorite destination so far has been Macchu Pichu (sp?) and she's trying to convince me to join her for a 2nd trip. In the meantime, our future combined travel spots wil be Florida in December, Japan in February, and perhaps Spain in May.

Looking forward to familiarize myself with your posts!

Cheers,

James
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 06:20 pm
When my wife retires (probably at the end of 2004), we're also going to plan a trip to Japan. In the mean time, my travel plans have been in slow motion, because I'm serving on the Santa Clara County Grand Jury till June 2004. Machu Picchu and the Galapagos are great destinations. My wife and I went to see "Master and Commander" last weekend, and they filmed some of it near Bartholomew Island where we spent some time snorkeling. Amazing experience to swim with fishes and sharks.
0 Replies

mezzie

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 06:44 pm
Wow again!

If you're at all into snorkelling/scuba diving around beautiful coral reefs and manta rays, I HIGHLY recommend the Island of Yap in Micronesia! The only place mantas live year-round and the most stunning underwater beauty I could imagine...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 07:20 pm
mezzie, Cic, as you call him, and his beautiful wife came here for dinner some brief time ago, and we had a lovely evening. He says he is still bragging about it. Wink He is a wonderful poster, and the master of travel.
0 Replies

mezzie

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:05 pm
well, I think I've already used up the word "wow" on this thread, so I'll just say whoa! neat Smile

hopefully I've have the opportunity to meet Cic someday too... who knows where Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:13 pm
I bought a tape set called Drive-In Japanese, "All-Audio Language on the Go. Fast, Fun, Friendly. Speak Japanese Today!" It comes with two 90 minute tapes. I was going to learn the language (as spoken anyway) and made it through about 5 minutes of the tape before deciding it was a little out of my league. I'd still like to take a few courses.
0 Replies

mezzie

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:34 pm
If you're trying to learn a language on your own, I'd hugely advise getting a language exchange partner to practice the stuff in your book or on your tape, and to ask questions and learn from. Language is a medium for communication, and it's a heck of a lot more fun using it with others!

The Japanese for Busy People series is a good place to start (I don't recommend the kana versions), or the Berlitz book. Borrow them from the library to have a look before you buy. The tapes are superfluous, unless you really don't have access to any native speakers at all to practice with.

Learning styles vary from person to person; some are better learning from a book and repeating stuff a million times, while others prefer to hear stuff spoken aloud and in context. Most do well with a nice balance of those 2. Figure out what your ideal learning style is and go for it!

Good luck!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:38 pm
Mezzie, thanks, I am sure that in this mecca of international education I could find a good Japanese language course and/or study partner. I just need to motivate and, frankly, Italian might be the next language I learn (rather than Japanese).
0 Replies

mezzie

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:50 pm
Well, Italian's fun too! And interestingly, the sound systems of Italian and Japanese are quite similar (except for the trilled "r" and a couple others), including syllable structure.

Although Japanese people have a terrible time learning to pronounce English, Italian tends to be a lot more manageable. Wink

Good luck with the Italian study!
0 Replies