Age difference for mariage?!!

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 11:43 pm
Should their be any age difference between men and woman when they marry ?
If yes, then what should it be?
What is the best age difference for husband andc wife?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 803 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 12:20 am
I recall actually seeing a formula for this, but can't remember it. It was something on the order of "one half the man's age, plus seven". However it was stated, it didn't seem completely implausible, but any such statement will only work with large numbers, ignoring individual variations.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 12:32 am
The age difference between conjoined twins should remain the same
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:14 am
roger wrote:
I recall actually seeing a formula for this, but can't remember it. It was something on the order of "one half the man's age, plus seven". However it was stated, it didn't seem completely implausible, but any such statement will only work with large numbers, ignoring individual variations.

hmmm, that would mean that a 30 year old man should marry a 22 year old woman, a 40 year old should partner with a 27 year old, and a 50 year old should look for someone 32. I think that was developed by a buncha men :wink:

Glynclig -- I don't think there is any one best difference. My first husband was 4.5 years older than me, my current one is 4.5 years younger. The first one ended in divorce. The second one is going on 20 years. I think more important than the age difference is the age and maturity levels of the two people in the relationship.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:32 am
Why older men? I have been happily married to an older (by two years) woman for over 40 years. Women are more mature than us guys to begin with. If we marry an older one, we are enjoying double the benefit of their wisdom.

One of my best childhood friends married a man who is ten years younger than she. The marriage has worked brilliantly.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:33 am
Age is a case of mind over matter.
If the two people involved dont mind, then it doesnt matter.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:35 am
A sociology professor I had always told us that women should marry/partner men who were 7 years younger to make up for the difference in life expectancy.

I didn't really 'get it' then, but I'm understanding his perspective better now.

~~~

On an anecdotal basis, among the couples I know, the ones with slightly younger men/older women seem to do better overall.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 09:56 am
Yeah, I love how older woman with a younger man is so practical! We all know how men die off so easily. :wink:

I think it truly does depend on the people involved. The age is one factor out of so many more that need to be considered.

It depends too the ages when people get married, IMO. I think partners with a ten year age gap in their 30's + (as in, one is 32, one 42 as an example) on a whole have a better chance than if the difference is a 22 year old and a 32 year old.

Not necessarily, but the two involved being grown enough and had time enough single does in my mind mean a whole lot in giving a marriage a chance to work.

Personally, I've always have the notion that someone closer to my age is better. Though that has proven to not always be true - but for myself I do enjoy being able to share relatively some of the same generational memories and experiences that way.

blabbing.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 04:45 am
I think it is very unlikely that there is no age difference between a man and woman when they marry.

How big this difference is, and who is the older is absolutely irrelevant in my eyes.
0 Replies