Spiriva (tiotropium bromide) What Happens??

lezzles

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 09:59 pm
I use Spiriva for my COPD. Every day I take one of the little green capsules out of the pack and insert it in a little plastic holder. I then press a button on this gizmo, which pierces the capsule and I inhale the contents. This morning, after taking my various pills, I realised I had swallowed my capsule.

On my prescription it says, in very bold letters, Not to be Swallowed.

I read all the paperwork that comes with the drug and have checked on the Internet and found there was a lot of information on what the drug is and what it does when inhaled properly but the sections on 'What happens if you swallow Spiriva' seem to boil down to two statements -

Do not swallow the capsule.

It seems three people did swallow, two were fine, the other one died. (But, it seems, this death had nothing to do with swallowing Spiriva.)

Somehow I am not comforted by what I have found. I still don't know what dire things will happen to me. Will I suffer horrible convulsions? Will I die? Will I go to gaol?

Does anyone out there know the answer to my query?

(I'm trying to be flippant, but I am a teensy bit worried.) Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 20,916 • Replies: 10
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 10:17 pm
The Boeringer-Ingelheim site said this:

Quote:
Accidental Ingestion
Acute intoxication by inadvertent oral ingestion of SPIRIVA (tiotropium bromide inhalation powder) capsules is unlikely since it is not well-absorbed systemically.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 10:38 pm
Thanks CJ, that's a bit better.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 06:53 am
Call your pharmacist. They like to answer technical questions.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 05:29 pm
I would have done so, Noddy, except it was Saturday afternoon local time when I posted the above and my pharmacy was closed (my health scares always occur after 5 pm or on weekends). As I am still alive today (Monday) and managing to stagger around as usual, I guess there was not much need to worry. However, I will certainly ask my GP about it next time I see him.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 05:39 pm
Isn't this infuriating? When I was a kid in central Florida, everything was required to close on Sunday - except drug stores. Now, everything is open - except drug stores.
0 Replies

40Looloo

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 11:52 am
Tiotropium not to be swallowed?
Hi Guys

Thanks Lezzle for posting this forum and thanks Cj for putting my mind at ease, after reading my information leaflet and trolling the net for some answers I found you guys.
I have been lying in bed feeling pretty rotten today as last nite I stupidly popped my capsule into my mouth instead of my inhaler and before I new it down the hatch it went.....
Thankfully I now know my feeling this way has nothing to do with my mistake and can get out of bed with the knowledge that I'm not going to snuff it due to poisoning.... :wink:
Take care.x
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 09:24 pm
Lezzles

May I suggest the Poisons Information Centre - 13 11 26.

They should be able to answer that sort of question in a tick!

The Product Information states: Acute intoxication by oral ingestion of tiotropium is unlikely, due to low oral bioavailability. Unfortunately, the sponsor company has not made the PI widely available at present.

40LoolOO - this may not apply to you - Lezzles lives in my state, in my country.
0 Replies

Brentgg

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 11:54 pm
Thank you for this string - Five minutes ago I spat a mouthful of water & spiriva all over the room - didn't swallow, but it did give some girth to my most neurotic fantasy.
0 Replies

LYNN WHITTINGHAM

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 03:09 am
I did the same thing, so I rang the chemist and she told me that no harm would come to me and that I should use another in the correct way as there shouldn't be a break in the medication. I wish I'd rang before I drank a glass of salt water to make myself sick and it didn't have the desired effect either
0 Replies

Fiddlegma

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 02:00 pm
I have swallowed the pills several times. Once no problem second time diarrhea, third time dreadful heartburn that lasted over an hour., just did it again and drank lots of water and glad I found that I am not the only one. There is no information on the website for spiriva as everyone has found.
0 Replies