MANNERS POLICE IN ACTION

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 05:14 pm
found that i couldn't pass up this story Laughing

Quote:
'Manners police' hit Japan metros

Badly behaved commuters riding on Yokohama's public transport will soon be risking a dressing-down.

Newly appointed "etiquette police" will be asking travellers to turn down their headphones and give up their seats for their elders and betters.

The move comes amid growing concern that etiquette is losing its hallowed place in Japanese society.

A recent poll found nearly nine out of 10 respondents felt standards of public behaviour had declined.

This perceived lapse included failing to offer your seat to pregnant and elderly people, chatting loudly on mobile phones, applying make-up in public, and listening to music on "leaky" headphones.

A prime hang-out for violators was identified as Japan's jammed commuter trains.

So transport authorities in Yokohama - a port city south of Tokyo - have appointed a team of manners enforcers, the Smile-Manner Squadron, to try to curb some of the bad behaviour.

The team is mostly made up of over-60s, well acquainted with the standards of conduct associated with the "old Japan".

But many of these enforcers will be accompanied by younger bodyguards, should their etiquette advice - diplomatically given, of course - not prove welcome.

The team members, who will be identifiable by their bright green uniforms, will have no legal powers to insist that their advice is accepted by recalcitrant passengers.

But backers of the scheme hope their refined social skills mean they will be able to charm - or shame - culprits into reforming their ways.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/asia-pacific/7312672.stm

Published: 2008/03/25 13:51:56 GMT

source :
MANNERS POLICE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 971 • Replies: 4
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 05:56 pm
Oh my gosh I so love this idea. Please please please let someone start that in my city.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 05:59 pm
wouldn't we all ?

but noticethat they bring some "bodyguards" along ?
do they administer the karate chop to anyone not co-operating ? :wink:
hbg

http://nextstopwonderland.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/aam.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 06:03 pm
I always stand on the subway. But, I don't take it very often, so standing is fun. I just noticed (last weekend) that there will be groping cops on the T here in Boston. Apparently we have gropers. Never been groped myself.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 06:03 pm
littlek wrote:
I always stand on the subway. But, I don't take it very often, so standing is fun. I just noticed (last weekend) that there will be groping cops on the T here in Boston. Apparently we have gropers. Never been groped myself.

Er, the cops won't be doing the groping, they'll be trying to stop it!
0 Replies