fishin

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 03:18 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
fishin wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
fishin wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Oh for heavens sake.

There is no such thing as voluntary rape. Get a grip.

If a man takes advantage of a women who is so drunk she can't function, that is rape.

If a man takes advantage of a woman who is drunk but is still in control of her body, it is not rape.

Rape is when someone takes sex from you. You do not ask for it. You do not suggest it. You do not want it. Period.

Rape is not about sex. Rape is about power and control over another person.

When will people learn this?

When men stop getting arrested and convicted for rape because some woman changed her mind the morning after.

While everything you stated is (AFAIK) true from a clinical perspective, that isn't the case for the legal aspects of it.

Could you possibly provide some statistics and numbers backing this up?

At least one investigation pegged the number at 41%.

This appears to be about after the fact exonerations. With the use of DNA, many more correct convictions must occur. Is there any recent data? This appears to be from 1996.

fishin wrote:

A Justice Department Study found that 33% of those tried, convicted and sentenced were later exhonerated by DNA evidence. But there are plenty of ancedotal cases as evidence too.

This was a study done in one town, and it didn't say (unless I missed it) that they were convicted, just that there were false accusations. And again, the research is dated.

fishin wrote:

The Tamara Anne Mounier case is a perfect example.

But my original point that the legal system doesn't care about issues of power, etc. It is only concerned with penetration and consent. The "why" aspect isn't relevant to being convicted.

The why doesn't matter, truth be told.
Again, the Tamara case is about accusations, not convictions.

fishin wrote:

Quote:
There are far more rapes that go unprosecuted than there are ones that do.

I have no doubt that this is true. I don't see how that justifes trying to send someone who DIDN'T commit a rape to prison though.

It doesn't and you still did not provide statistical proof that INNOCENT men go to prison.

You didn't read that Justice Department report very well:

"With the exception of one young man of limited mental capacity, who pleaded guilty, the individuals whose stories are told in the report were
convicted after jury trials and were sentenced to long prison terms.
They successfully challenged their convictions, using DNA tests on existing evidence. They had served, on average, 7 years in prison"

That sure sounds like innocent men in prison to me...
0 Replies

Chumly

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 03:44 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Rape is NEVER voluntary.

Quote:
Or what if you weren't drunk? What if you went home with a guy perfectly sober with the intention to have a one night stand. You start making out and know it's soon going to happen. However, suddenly you don't really feel like it. To avoid an awkward situation you decide to have sex anyway. Is it rape or not? The man can't help it that you refrain from telling him to stop in this particular situation, or could he?

In this case, the woman was not raped because she kept her mouth shut, and implicitly consented to have sex. The man had no way of knowing that the woman changed her mind. Had she objected, then it would have been rape, or in this case, popularly known as "date rape".
I in no way condone rape, but this scenario comes to mind: I have had sexual relations where the woman (my wife) said "no" but it was play.

Key words: It was play.

It was concentual and not rape.
And under what specified context do you confirm this in a legal sense?

She didn't say no. She didn't try to stop you. She wanted to have sex. She was of sound mind. She was of legal age.

In a legal sense, only she can testify if it was rape or not, if she said no or refused sex in any other way.

It's hard to prove rape if there aren't physical signs in the vagina. And even then it can be misinterpreted as just rough, concentual sex.

Rape is difficult to prove, plain and simple.
You're missing my point. She did say no. She did try and stop me. She said she did not want to have sex. Or so I was lead to believe under what would be called the guise of play.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 04:03 pm
That legal definition sounds rather new fangled to me. There was rape before date rape drugs.

In any case, I agree with Setanta.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 04:12 pm
Bella Dea wrote:

It doesn't and you still did not provide statistical proof that INNOCENT men go to prison.

Do you REALLY need statistics to believe that innocent men go to prison for rape?

Seriously...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 04:14 pm
Chumly wrote:
I in no way condone rape, but this scenario comes to mind: I have had sexual relations where the woman (my wife) said "no" but it was play.

Sex play is different from real rape.
The psychological reasons behind rape are nothing near what is behind playful sex.

What makes this situation ( the one you describe) innocent is because YOU KNOW IT WAS PLAY. If it was not play the fighting would have changed its tune AND YOU WOULD KNOW THAT.

I guess the point can not be made that there is no situation where rape is 'accidental' or 'voluntary'?
0 Replies

Chumly

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 09:06 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Chumly wrote:

Sex play is different from real rape.
The psychological reasons behind rape are nothing near what is behind playful sex.

What makes this situation ( the one you describe) innocent is because YOU KNOW IT WAS PLAY. If it was not play the fighting would have changed its tune AND YOU WOULD KNOW THAT.

I guess the point can not be made that there is no situation where rape is 'accidental' or 'voluntary'?
As a sensitive and intelligent man I can tell the difference, however a few things come to mind for point of discussion:

What if the man is less gifted in his abilities to perceive these differences, and/or what if the liaison starts as play-rape but then the woman, near the end of the sexual liaison, has a change of heart and/or what if the woman, after the play-rape has concluded, has a change of heart and/or what if the woman is a prostitute and she agrees to a play-rape scene, but then has a change of heart at some as-of-yet undefined point?
0 Replies

boomerang

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 09:10 pm
Chumly wrote:

What if the man is less gifted in his abilities to perceive these differences, and/or what if the liaison starts as play-rape but then the woman, near the end of the sexual liaison, has a change of heart and/or
what if the woman, after the play-rape has concluded, has a change of heart and/or what if the woman is a prostitute and she agrees to a play-rape scene, but then has a change of heart at some as-of-yet undefined point?

That is why couples creat safe words like "reindeer" or "curtainhook" or "backgammon" or some word that means "STOP. I'M NOT F**ING KINDDING".
0 Replies

Chumly

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 09:14 pm
Did you see the "Family Guy" episode with that in mind?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 09:15 pm
Chumly, I am amazed that it has gone this far. I've no idea what you thought you would get by posting this, but it is ugly, and headed nowhere better...

RH
0 Replies

Chumly

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 09:20 pm
I'm not sure what part of my text you take exception with, you leave that unspecified; however my position on rape is a matter of record.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 09:23 pm
Not attacking your position on rape itself, just your lightheartedness when playing around it.

I'm not at my best, don't let me get you aroused, just saying.

RH
0 Replies

boomerang

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 09:24 pm
Chumly wrote:

Errr..... uhhhh..... not exactly...... but, okay.......
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 09:35 pm
Chumly, you know very well that you will not find many people at A2K who understand erotic play at this level......

The Original piece makes the mistake of clinging to the concept of rape. Rape is a legal construct, it is a collection of normal human sexual behaviour which has been criminalized, and also abuses of power. Some of what we call rape should be punishable by law, a lot of what has been added to the concept of rape over the last generation is a problem, because no matter what the law is two consenting adults are going to be doing it. The law does not have enough power over erotic play to control it, thus making it illegal will not stop it.

Many people people are sexual outside of the bounds of verbal and explicit consent. Much of "ravish" has been criminalized. It is best to junk the term rape for this area of play, best to stick to enjoyable/desirable. If both parties agree that it is then all is good. If one does not then under current law they are free to go after the other partner with the law. Given the screwed up American sexual legal landscape it is very important to know the person you are playing with well.

Based upon what you said under many state laws what you did was a crime, though you wife would have a great deal of trouble finding a prosecutor to take the case.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 09:45 pm
Huh.

Lest I splutter expletives, I'll just say I'll be back to reread.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 10:52 pm
This area of sexual play is mainstream enough to be on wikipedia, google for more. Many dabble, as it seems our Chumly and the author of the original work do.

Quote:
Consensual non-consent refers to the type of agreement made in a relationship based on dominance and submission between the dominant and submissive party, stipulating that the submissive has consented to the dominant's decisions and puts him/herself in the care of the dominant. The submissive party in these types of relationships typically becomes a slave, relinquishing personal freedoms and rights to the dominant's discretion. Note that under most jurisdictions, legal consent may not create a defense to liability for any injuries caused and that, for these purposes, non-physical injuries may be included in the definition of grievous bodily harm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensual_nonconsent
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 10:58 pm
It's no news that people play. It remains that I'll check out the posts tomorrow and not tonight. I may have expletives in lineup, I don't know yet.

If I address anything tonight, it will be grocery bags, about which I have been working up a soliquy when trying to sleep.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 11:09 pm
Thinking...

original writing?
wilderness/ecology?
food and drink?

Expect a grocery bag story on the morrow...

Of course I should write it now while I'm most aggravated.

Oh, wait, I need to worry about play rape.
0 Replies

fishin

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 05:28 am
boomerang wrote:
Chumly wrote:

Errr..... uhhhh..... not exactly...... but, okay.......

TMI! Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 06:29 am
fishin, I am not going to argue with you. I simply want less dated information.

And it's pretty obvious none of you have been raped.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 06:49 am
Bella Dea wrote:
fishin, I am not going to argue with you. I simply want less dated information.

And it's pretty obvious none of you have been raped.

However, as men we live our erotic lives with the rape gun held to our head, risk prison time for exploring the erotic. America's willingness to punish sexual deviance in perpetuity with sexual offender tags/laws is a nice extra bonus.
0 Replies