What kind of organization is this?

fansy

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 09:56 pm
Quote:
National Institute of Arts and Letters

Is it a research organization? or a school? or an association?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 481 • Replies: 4
No top replies

fansy

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 11:01 pm
What is this?
Quote:
American Academy of Arts and Letters

This is organization is under American Institute of Arts and Letters.

So do I understand that the academy is a school under an association?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 11:11 pm
I found this on google. Professional organizations are sometimes called academies. I think I have heard the word "college" used the same way. The academy here, is not a school. I do not know why we use the word this way. Maybe someone else can help with that.
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 06:31 pm
Help me decide ...
Quote:
American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters
From: The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition | Date: 2007

American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters -- honorary academy of notable American artists, writers, and composers. The National Institute of Arts and Letters, founded in 1898, served as the parent body for the American Academy of Arts and Letters, founded in 1904, until the two were amalgamated in 1976.

Membership is limited to 250 native or naturalized U.S. citizens, of which 50 are elected to the Academy for notable achievements in art, literature, or music. The Academy-Institute also has an honorary membership of 75 foreign artists, writers, and composers to strengthen cultural ties with other countries.

The Academy-Institute offers a number of prizes annually, including the Brunner Memorial Award in Architecture and the Gold Medal for excellence in the arts. The members of the Academy confer the Howells Medal, given every five years for a work of American fiction, and the Award of Merit Medal, given in five categories of the arts to a person not affiliated with the Academy. Located in New York City, it maintains a museum and a library (23,000 volumes), and holds exhibitions of works of art, manuscripts, books, and scores. It also purchases paintings by American artists for distribution to museums.

So, please help me decide if this academy-institute is just an association, or research unit or a school?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 06:37 pm
Looks like an association of people in the same profession.
0 Replies