German to English translation please

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 06:34 pm
This is on a label on the back of what looks like an old print. I would like a translation please:

ANBETUNG DER HL. DREI KONIGE
LATEINISCH-FRANZOSISCHES GEBETBUCH FUR DAS FRANZOSISCHE KONIGSHAUS 15 JAHRHDT

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,167 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 08:51 pm
No problem babe, I speak german.

ADORATION OF THE HL. THREE KONIGE LATIN-FRANZOSISCHES prayer books FUR THE FRANZOSISCHE KONIGSHAUS 15 JAHRHDT
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 09:10 pm
Good start, Amigo.

Adoration of the Three Magi
Latin-French prayerbook for the French Palace
15th Century

Maybe Walter will stop by. (or Thomas, Calamity Jane, Hamburger, Urs, Francis, etc.)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 09:11 pm
That's nice, Amigo, but you need just a few more lessons Wink

Green Witch

Worshiping of the holy epiphany
Latin-French book of prayers for the French
royal dynasty, 15th century.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 10:01 pm
I was just testing you guys.

I meant to say that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 11:30 pm
I think "adoration" is here a better term instead od 'worshiping'.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 02:12 am
Interesting.

We have had a few suggestions for ""FRANZOSISCHER KONIGSHAUS" which could be rendered as French Palace, French Court, French Royal Household etc

ANBETUNG DER HEILIGE DREI KOENIGE". literally "Worship of the holy Three Kings" is always rendered in English as "Adoration of the Magi", as stated.

Just thought a literal translation would be interesting.

Likewise, "JAHRHDT" is Jahrhundert, century.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 02:22 am
McTag wrote:
We have had a few suggestions for ""FRANZOSISCHER KONIGSHAUS" which could be rendered as French Palace, French Court, French Royal Household etc

Good hint, McT.

The "FRANZOSISCHER KONIGSHAUS", La Maison Royale de France, is usually referred in English as " The Royal House of France".

Which is, implicitly, also the French Royal dinasty.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 06:34 am
Thanks everyone. It's a page from what looks like an old prayer book, and the illustration matches what you have translated. I was hoping it was going to something like "this is an original, 15th century, hand painted manuscript, buy it quick". I think it's just a quality museum repro.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 06:36 am
The first line is the descrition what it is.
The second line gives the source.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 08:26 am
Just a thought....on an original (of anything) you wouldn't expect to find a legend "this is an original".

Embarrassed
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 08:28 am
Alles Besserwisser - typical German!! Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 09:48 am
McTag wrote:
Just a thought....on an original (of anything) you wouldn't expect to find a legend "this is an original".

Embarrassed

No, but something like this

http://i30.tinypic.com/2z3tj4n.jpg

Laughing

That's on this "Adoration of the Three Magi"

http://i26.tinypic.com/30t10g4.jpg

No need to go to Cologne (you even got an "Ablass" [indulgence], but that and the actual prayer are printed on the backside, and this little paper is framed ...), but very helpful:

http://i28.tinypic.com/fbdhdt.jpg

(The printer wasn't good in German: the place's name isn't 'Pabubitz' but 'Pardubitz' - Pardubice
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 10:44 am
If it is a fifteenth century original, the paper would be hand-made. If you hold the paper up to the light, you should be able to see lines from the wire mold used to dry the paper.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 06:34 pm
McTag wrote:

Embarrassed

You do know I was kidding with that line? Right?

A photo of this item was emailed to me by a friend who thought it looked rough enough to be the real thing. However, when I saw the inscription I thought it must be museum gift shop reproduction, but of good quality, perhaps with some hand painted overlays. I thought if I could confirm what I thought the inscription said I would know better what the provenance was. Your translation snuffed out the possibility that it came from a private collection. The inscription is just telling some tourist what they are purchasing.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 04:42 am
Green Witch wrote:
McTag wrote:

Embarrassed

You do know I was kidding with that line? Right?

A photo of this item was emailed to me by a friend who thought it looked rough enough to be the real thing. However, when I saw the inscription I thought it must be museum gift shop reproduction, but of good quality, perhaps with some hand painted overlays. I thought if I could confirm what I thought the inscription said I would know better what the provenance was. Your translation snuffed out the possibility that it came from a private collection. The inscription is just telling some tourist what they are purchasing.

Yes indeed. There are some very good facsimiles around.

Thanks for the interesting topic.
0 Replies