Latest tax scam: Thieves file your return, steal refund

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 12:09 pm
Latest tax scam: Thieves file your return, steal refund
Thursday, March 20, 2008
By GLENN COUNTS / WCNC

Warning: Scammers stealing tax refunds CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Tax season brings an opportunity for scam artists to cash in and one local woman says she is a victim.

"I've worked all year and I'm expecting a certain amount of money," said Timeko Pendergrass.

Pendergrass is a hardworking mother of three. She was looking forward to her tax return, only to find out that someone else had gotten it.

"I haven't received a check, so what do you mean you have given a check out?" she said.

The IRS says that a lot of people are getting a shock -- someone has either worked a job using their stolen Social Security number and they get a big tax bill, or someone has used their number to steal their tax return.

"It's very common during this timeframe," said Reggie McDaniel, the special agent in charge of the IRS criminal section.

He says if you fall victim, contact the agency immediately.

"First thing I recommend they do is respond to the person in the note either by phone or writing as directed," McDaniel said.

Pendergrass believes that someone offering her a bogus job scammed her out of her Social Security number. She's been working with the IRS and will get her refund several months late.

"She had me contact the Federal Trade Commission, make police reports, so hopefully something will get done and I really want this woman caught," Pendergrass said.

The IRS says it will be understanding in these matters, but agents also ask for patience on the part of victims. It could take several months to clear up the situation and get a refund.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 397 • Replies: 1
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 04:37 pm
that's another reason why it is better to slightly underpay your tax throughout the year and pay the difference at year-end .
you also don't lend money interest-free to the government that way .
hbg
0 Replies