Old Testament - Jewish History

cello

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 05:18 pm
This is related to what someone mentioned in the S&R topic, that the Old Testament seems like the history of the Jews. I think the same thing when I read it.

So my question is: Is there a "history book" of the Jews and is that history different from the Old Testament, taking out the religious aspect of it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 733 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Letty

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 05:26 pm
cello, here is a link to the Torah.

http://www.chabad.org/search/keyword_cdo/kid/1199/jewish/Torah.htm
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 08:52 pm
If your looking for an ancient historian's account, check out Flavius Josephus' The Jewish Wars, and Antiquities of the Jews.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 02:56 pm
Thanks Letty. But isn't the Torah a religious book again?

Thanks InfraBlue. Yes, that is more historical to me. I wonder what the Jewish children learn as history in school.

Does anyone know Jewish "history"? I would just like to have an idea whether there is a difference with the Old Testament, out of curiosity, I don't really want to study Jewish history.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 10:25 am
The Torah is the Bible.

As for Jewish history, well, the problem is that it's all wrapped up in myths and legends. If you're looking for books you're not going to get much farther back than the time of the Romans or so, unless you look in the Torah. Which isn't necessarily wrong, but it's just got everything else stuffed into it as well, kind of a one-stop shopping site for legends, religion, genealogy and possibly history.

Was there a flood? Sure, there are always floods. Ask any insurance company and they'll tell you that floods can occur anywhere. Was it the BIG flood, as in Noah, etc.? Who knows? The story is probably allegorical and meant to show a separation of the believers from the non.

Were there wars? Sure, there are always wars. What about Jericho, or any other time the Jews went to battle? Who knows? Again, it may be allegory although it's likely that if a nomadic people were trying to settle in a new land that the original inhabitants would be mighty pissed.

And so it goes.

Dead sea scrolls may or may not be useful but they are generally religious texts. Archaeology is helpful but for a nomadic people that's very hard as they wouldn't leave much behind in terms of artifacts.

What about Egypt? Was there slavery there? Absolutely. That's how stuff got built way back when, and the Egyptians did a lot of building, and not just of pyramids but also of temples, storehouses, palaces, etc. Were the Jews the ones who did the building? Maybe. What about the slave revolt, a la Moses? Well, chances are that there were slave revolts of some sort, as being a builder slave wasn't exactly a happy existence for anyone. After that, it gets murky.

Unfortunately, the whole thing is rather murky.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 09:25 pm
That's very helpful, Jespah, thank you.
0 Replies