On religion in the Whitehouse.....

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 12:47 pm
Setanta wrote:
At no time did i write anything even remotely resembling a claim that Lincoln was the first president to "bring up religion."

Let's roll the videotape:
Setanta, in the dimly remembered past (about six hours ago), wrote:
Before Lincoln, Presidents and candidates were careful not to bring up religion...

QED

Setanta wrote:
The post of mine to which you have most recently responded underlines my post prior to that, in which i wrote: "I know of no agent of government of the United States, let alone the President, who has established a religious holiday." Your reference to Washington's proclamation fails to fulfill that criterion.

How so? Just because Thanksgiving wasn't officially established by Washington as a national holiday the next year? Sorry, but I wasn't aware that a holiday must be, by definition, an annual event.

Anyway, from Lincoln's Oct. 1863 proclamation, it's clear that even he didn't contemplate his thanksgiving celebration to be an annual thing. After all, he had also issued thanksgiving proclamations in the spring of 1862 and in the spring of 1863. It only became an autumnal tradition when Lincoln issued a thanksgiving proclamation in 1864 for the same day -- the last Thursday in November. After that, the tradition was extended as much as a tribute to Lincoln as it was to an almighty and beneficent deity.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 12:50 pm
I think if we expect a person's schooling, family background, and life experiences to influence his world view and to explain why he favors or does not favor certain initiatives, policies, activities, etc., it would be absolutely irrational to leave that person's religious beliefs out of that equation.

Politicians these days are far less likely to base their policy decisions specificially on their religious beliefs than did our Founders, but despite the Founders' regular inclusion of religious belief in their speeches, in their debates among themselves, in their writings and correspondence, etc. no federal theocracy developed nor has there been any danger of one since.

I think there will generally be a whole lot more to fear from any politician than the fact that he professes a faith in God.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 05:19 pm
candidone1 wrote:
RL:
This thread was nto about the Wright incident....there have been plenty of threads dedicated to Wright's sermons and Obama's connection to him. As much as many scared white people wan to soak this "scandal" up and run with it until August, it's a dead issue.

I just see in Obama open and frequent appeals and references to God and his faith. I was uncomfortable with it when Bush did it and I find myself feeling the same with Obama.

The Wright 'incident' is Obama's 20 year long submission of himself and his children to the teaching of a racist church.

You asked in this thread about religion in relation to the Presidency.

I think it's relevant, no matter if it is being discussed on one other thread or 101 other threads.

Quote:
The black theologian must reject any conception of God which stifles black self-determination by picturing God as a God of all peoples
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_theology

Quote:
It is important to make a further distinction here among black hatred, black racism, and Black Power. Black hatred is the black man's strong aversion to white society. No black man living in white America can escape it...But the charge of black racism cannot be reconciled with the facts. While it is true that blacks do hate whites, black hatred is not racism
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Cone_%28theologian%29

Quote:
An ABC News review of dozens of Rev. Wright's sermons, offered for sale by the church, found repeated denunciations of the U.S. based on what he described as his reading of the Gospels and the treatment of black Americans.

"The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing 'God Bless America.' No, no, no, God damn America, that's in the Bible for killing innocent people," he said in a 2003 sermon. "God damn America for treating our citizens as less than human. God damn America for as long as she acts like she is God and she is supreme."

In addition to damning America, he told his congregation on the Sunday after Sept. 11, 2001 that the United States had brought on al Qaeda's attacks because of its own terrorism.

"We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye," Rev. Wright said in a sermon on Sept. 16, 2001.

"We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost," he told his congregation.
from http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4443788

If you think only whites are (or should be) uncomfortable with the racism of Obama's church and the 'Black Theology' that Wright, Cone and others preach, I would like to know why.

Why shouldn't Asians also be uncomfortable with it?

Why shouldn't Latinos?
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 08:08 pm
....RL, you lost the last ounce of credibility you may have had when you jump to your own conclusion that this was a "racist" church.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 06:50 am
candidone1,

If a church of predominantly white membership stated that they were in existence to promote a 'White Values System', and that they believed in a 'White Theology', would you consider it to be a racist church?

If the pastor cited, as one of his foundational guides, a theologian who called for the destruction of blacks by 'any means possible' and who stated that God is not the God of all people, but that any God who did not support the 'white cause' should be rejected, would you consider it to be a racist church?
0 Replies